Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though you folks on the other side of the planet might like to see some of the riding we do here in Australia.
At the moment it's hot - 33 degrees C and really dry.
All the posts i've viewed lately of snow thawing, seen quite surreal by comparison.

Myself and Sparky Marky dropped in on the Fat Tyre Festival at Melrose in the mid north of South Australia on the weekend. It's about 350km north of Adelaide.

It is a big weekend of MTB riding [ no racing ] around the town, on a heap of fresh, purpose built single track. This was the second year of the event. It's run by Bicycle SA and has funding from the state government. Nice trails and friendly folks.

https://www.bikesa.asn.au/index.php

My SJ 120 Expert prior to it's first big group ride.

Marky getting setup

Marky climbing in the pack

A nice view over the town of Melrose.
The highest peak is directly behind the town.
It's called, strangely enough, " Mt Remarkable " because...... it is!
The summit is at about 1000m.

I managed to get one photo of a guy stacking on a fast downhill section called "Hellrose". He was OK except for a bit of a bruised ego.
You can just see the A line on the right with a steep kicker. None of us were game to give it a go.

After a taste of the single track, we had lunch at the pub with the wives and kids: very relaxing. We'll be back next year for sure

The following day i went on a solo ride for on the Western side of the range up towards a rock escarpment called The Battery. The climb was nasty: loose, rocky and powdery dust. Yeah.. it's steeper than it looks....

The summit is about 850m above sea level. I ran out of time and only got to about 500m [ from 50m at the campsite ] but the views to the summit were sensational.

As were the views over the Gulf

A view of the trail back to camp towards Mt Cavern / Mambray Creek.

Back at camp, we had to defend our food from being raided by the locals.

On our last night, Teppinyaki Marky cooked up a feast in the wok, which was washed down with a few cold Coopers.

All in all, a great weekend.

Our next big adventure will be in 3 weeks when we race in the Dirty Weekend 12 HR race here in the Adelaide Hills.

As a team of unremarkable underachievers, we aim to have fun and ride like crazy people! Can't wait!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks like an awesome time. I was over their before I started mtb'ing, obviously I missed out. I'll have to go back someday. :(

·
Banned
824 Posts
Fruitian Influence

Melrose and Fruita are "sister cities", thanks to the efforts of locals in both locations. I must admit that the wines I sampled from the Melrose area are much better than the Grand Valley offerings. There is a lot of Fruita in those trails.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fruita lends a hand to Melrose

JD, i had no idea that Troy had an input into the Tracks and trail conference here.

http://members.westnet.com.au/web/venhoek/~melrose/HTML Pages/Troy.htm

And that indeed, Melrose and Fruita are sister cities [ although Melrose has a population of only about 300 ].
As you mentioned, i have viewd hundreds of posts of the area around Fruita on this site, and have often thought that the landscapes look remarkably similar.
Let's hope the cycling led revival of tourism helps kick off hundreds of kilometres of single track in the Melrose area!!!

·
Banned
824 Posts
singletracks

hotlaksa said:
JD, i had no idea that Troy had an input into the Tracks and trail conference here.

http://members.westnet.com.au/web/venhoek/~melrose/HTML Pages/Troy.htm

And that indeed, Melrose and Fruita are sister cities [ although Melrose has a population of only about 300 ].
As you mentioned, i have viewd hundreds of posts of the area around Fruita on this site, and have often thought that the landscapes look remarkably similar.
Let's hope the cycling led revival of tourism helps kick off hundreds of kilometres of single track in the Melrose area!!!
The flavor of the trails themselves in as how they were built is what I was referring to. The twists and turns from a few of your pics look very similar to the Bookcliffs, which is indeed a good thing. I agree, SINGLETRACK FOR MELROSE!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.