Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then, mellow trails are a welcome relief from the brutal pounding of intense climbing and gnarly downhills all the time. They're especially welcome when you're recovering from an upper back strain. So I met up with a friend and we hit the Gainesville State College trail. The trails were rolling great, the woods were greening up, and it was just a beautiful day to ride!



















https://www.gregridestrails.com/2010/04/finally-riding.html

PS Got plenty of climbing and gnar this weekend, and my back is feeling significantly better. It was great!
 

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Joined
·
771 Posts
Good stuff, the foliage is so different out there. Wish I could find something like that around here. Seems like no matter where I go its always "You ready to WORK, BOY?!" from first pedal stroke. Gets old, sometimes I just wanna chill yea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
greasemeat said:
Good stuff, the foliage is so different out there. Wish I could find something like that around here. Seems like no matter where I go its always "You ready to WORK, BOY?!" from first pedal stroke. Gets old, sometimes I just wanna chill yea
Every once and a while that gets annoying. The trail system closest to home (Bull Mountain) is like that: uphill both ways. These shots are from Gainesville, about 30 mi away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
That's just crazy talk..
 

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Joined
·
771 Posts
Greg I saw on your site that they're flyin ya out here for Mud Otter, grats. I'll be wandering around myself, bummed to hear Tomac bikes won't be there this yr tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
greasemeat said:
Greg I saw on your site that they're flyin ya out here for Mud Otter, grats. I'll be wandering around myself, bummed to hear Tomac bikes won't be there this yr tho
Yeah dude, I'm super stoked to head out California way! Mud Otter you say? So you don't think the singletrack will be in good condition?

Yea, I'll probably be spending a good bit of time at the Airborne booth if you want to stop by to say hey. Although, I could be wandering around. I don't really know what this place all entails. I'm going to try to take in as much of it as possible though! Who knows if I'll get this experience again?

So yeah, needless to say I'm really stoked!
 

·
BMX:Our Shining Future
Joined
·
875 Posts
Uphill both ways

I'm glad somebody else said that. I'm a big fan of country roads, double track, mellow rolling. It appeals to me that there is so MANY of them and that they are mostly out in the boonies. Also they don't ever get shut down to bicycles, yet. West of Salt Lake City on I-80 are many dirt roads accessing the Great Salt Lake. Here is some shots from Stansbury Island Road, exit 84, it rolls north of I-80. There's my brother Jack on MY bike, you'll see shots by him soon.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,995 Posts
Not a damn thing wrong with some mellow trails. Give you time to stop and smell the flowers so to speak. Even literally.
 

·
BMX:Our Shining Future
Joined
·
875 Posts
You Missed It

A mod deleted the spam. I think. I have the sneaking suspicion that a whole lot of folks are enjoying California In The Spring having a good old time at sea otter classic. I have feelings about country roads that seem similar to the passion (like that?) a lot of the younger more athletic folks have about alpine single track. Country roads just rock for all us barney type peeps. And mountain bikes are the perfect thing to ride 'em. Double suspended mountain bikes are great for dirt roads. Let us grey beards go a lot further. And more willing to go back out again.

Spiral Jetty, northwest of Salt Lake City, a manmade art object in the middle of complete and total no where. Take I-80 to highway 83, exit 365, west to Lampo Junction, 7200 N west to Golden Spike National Historic Site. The dirt starts here, golden spike loop road south west to Rozel Flats Road south, this intersection is confusing, look for a sign saying promontory ranch, don't go past Rozel, Officially you are going south to Rozel Point, just past the point on a rough road with large imbedded rock is Spiral Jetty. Catch it at sunset. Or anytime.

mtbGreg said:
Say What?
 

Attachments

·
Currently in Exile
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
I have to enjoy "mellow" trails. And I do. The best way to make a mellow trail less mellow of course it to go faster. Looking at the OP's photos, that looks like a well built trail and could be a lot of fun.

As for riding dirt roads, I understand that sometimes they can't be avoided. But I will not call riding on any road that I could drive my car down as MT biking. It is dirt road riding. They make a special road bike for that called a cyclocross bike. Hell, I have even ridden my skinny tired road bike on some dirt roads when the internet map I used to plan my route failed to differentiate between dirt road and paved road:p

David, you are a skilled photographer and obviously passionate about the type of riding that you enjoy.:thumbsup: Please understand that for the VAST majority of people on MTBR singletrack is what we seek. The trails in the OP's photos are about as wide as most of us care to ride. Please keep posting stories about your rides and photos. Feel free to mention that you are riding FS roads, dirt roads, county roads, or whatever roads they may be. But please stop trying to preach to us that riding roads is somehow superior to riding singletrack or that we should be happy to relegate ourselves to ride roads do to the unreasonble (IMHO) demands of HOHAs. You will find much love here on MTBR due to your photographic skills and passion for riding. I promise!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frozenspokes said:
I have to enjoy "mellow" trails. And I do. The best way to make a mellow trail less mellow of course it to go faster. Looking at the OP's photos, that looks like a well built trail and could be a lot of fun.

As for riding dirt roads, I understand that sometimes they can't be avoided. But I will not call riding on any road that I could drive my car down as MT biking. It is dirt road riding. They make a special road bike for that called a cyclocross bike. Hell, I have even ridden my skinny tired road bike on some dirt roads when the internet map I used to plan my route failed to differentiate between dirt road and paved road:p

David, you are a skilled photographer and obviously passionate about the type of riding that you enjoy.:thumbsup: Please understand that for the VAST majority of people on MTBR singletrack is what we seek. The trails in the OP's photos are about as wide as most of us care to ride. Please keep posting stories about your rides and photos. Feel free to mention that you are riding FS roads, dirt roads, county roads, or whatever roads they may be. But please stop trying to preach to us that riding roads is somehow superior to riding singletrack or that we should be happy to relegate ourselves to ride roads do to the unreasonble (IMHO) demands of HOHAs. You will find much love here on MTBR due to your photographic skills and passion for riding. I promise!
yeah, those trails are great for dropping the hammer and going FAST!

Personally, I only ride USFS roads when
A) The singletrack is too wet and would get damaged from being ridden
B)Trying to get to the singletrack
C)Because I've ridden all the trails over and over (pretty rare for me to get bored)
D)Excercise without the impact, but this is rare.
 

·
CrgCrkRyder
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
Nothing wrong with some mellow rolling. I'm going to do some in a few minutes. Then, do some climbing and rocky stuff. Cool to mix it all up. I like it all, except for city traffic. Wheels roll, me happy. Tomorrow, my GF and I are going to Lynchburg to ride the Blackwater Creek greenway there. Something new, something different, wheels still rolling. Monday night, Mill Mountain rocks again. Its all good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CraigCreekRider said:
Nothing wrong with some mellow rolling. I'm going to do some in a few minutes. Then, do some climbing and rocky stuff. Cool to mix it all up. I like it all, except for city traffic. Wheels roll, me happy. Tomorrow, my GF and I are going to Lynchburg to ride the Blackwater Creek greenway there. Something new, something different, wheels still rolling. Monday night, Mill Mountain rocks again. Its all good.
Amen brother, keep it fresh! As I just read in Mountain Bike Magazine, "diversity is the key to sanity."
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top