Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm considering the Megatower. I'm wondering if to go for the S Build with the Upgrade to CArbon Reserve wheelset or the X01 build with the ARC alloy wheelS (stock wheel).

Which build do you think will be money well spent ? Is the CC frame and X01 component worth it over the Carbon wheels?

Thanks for your input !

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I went XO1. My component order of importance is...frame, suspension, wheels, drivetrain, brakes, etc.

To add to that: the Grip 1 in the Performance 36 is a pretty darn good fork but when you start trying to plow through rock gardens as fast as humanly possible it doesn't keep up. I also wanted the LSC adjustment on the shock since I'm a bigger rider. Also there's a pretty decent weight savings when you jump to the XO1. I figured if I want to get a set of carbon wheels, I can easily do that down the line and have two sets.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I went XO1. My component order of importance is...frame, suspension, wheels, drivetrain, brakes, etc.

To add to that: the Grip 1 in the Performance 36 is a pretty darn good fork but when you start trying to plow through rock gardens as fast as humanly possible it doesn't keep up. I also wanted the LSC adjustment on the shock since I'm a bigger rider. Also there's a pretty decent weight savings when you jump to the XO1. I figured if I want to get a set of carbon wheels, I can easily do that down the line and have two sets.
I'd do the same thing, just because the frame is the only thing you cannot upgrade. The CC weighs about 200gr. less too (at least that's what it was with the HTLT).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Interesting. I had expected most to say that the Carbon wheels are a more noteable difference than the slight differences in Spec between the S and X01.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Interesting. I had expected most to say that the Carbon wheels are a more noteable difference than the slight differences in Spec between the S and X01.

Thanks for the feedback.
X01 build for sure: mainly for the suspension upgrade, secondarily for the weight savings that go along with the X01 kit and the CC frame. Carbon wheels will make a difference to the ride for sure, but I'd put more value on having more tuneable suspension. Plus, the Reserve upgrade on the S build means that you've got nice rims built around DT 370 hubs which are pretty much garbage.

If you are really committed to having carbon wheels from the get go, I think it makes more sense to buy the S build and pay $1600 for aftermarket Reserve wheels built around DT 350s, than it does to pay the $1200 for the rim upgrade. You can either sell your unused alloy wheels to recoup some of that price difference, or just have a backup wheelset on hand. There's some other really good options for even less than the $1600 reserves worth considering too-WeAreOne or Nobl for example.

Still, all things considered, I'd go X01 and upgrade wheels down the line.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
X01 build for sure: mainly for the suspension upgrade, secondarily for the weight savings that go along with the X01 kit and the CC frame. Carbon wheels will make a difference to the ride for sure, but I'd put more value on having more tuneable suspension. Plus, the Reserve upgrade on the S build means that you've got nice rims built around DT 370 hubs which are pretty much garbage.

If you are really committed to having carbon wheels from the get go, I think it makes more sense to buy the S build and pay $1600 for aftermarket Reserve wheels built around DT 350s, than it does to pay the $1200 for the rim upgrade. You can either sell your unused alloy wheels to recoup some of that price difference, or just have a backup wheelset on hand. There's some other really good options for even less than the $1600 reserves worth considering too-WeAreOne or Nobl for example.

couldn't have said it better myself...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had the same dilemma, and in the end i got the S build over the XO1 build because i knew i’ll change few parts as soon as i’ll get the bike, and down the road i’ll upgrade all the other parts, so the difference came down to 200-300g weight saving between the C & CC frames that i can live with. And when i’ll finish with all my upgrades (included carbon wheels) it still will cost me less then XO1 build (or building from frame up…) .

That been said, if you’re planing to keep the bike as is without any upgrades, i would go with the XO1 build for the better parts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you happen to know the difference between the Rockshox Super Deluxe Select + on the S build vs the Ultimate on the X01?

Thanks again for the feedback.

For what its worth. I am going to be in Orlando in June and hoping to pickup the bike there.... and the only models available at that time will be the S builds. The X01 builds aren't likely to ship until 26th June and arrive until 1st week of July so that might be the detail that makes all the difference. Either that, or I wait and have a freighting company ship the bike out to me in July, which will carry it's own price.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

What if i wanted to upgrade the Hubs at a later date ? Is that possible ?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same exact dilemma. I wanted to go all in on the XO1 Reserve build, but the wife said no. W/ tax (CA almost 10%) and the SC 10% discount, the XO1 Reserve vs. S Reserve was about an $1,800 difference. I don't ride enough to justify a price difference that large to save 1.5 to 2lbs, so I went with the S Reserve upgrade.

For what it's worth, I have a M S build with Reserves (370 hubs w/ star ratchet conversion 54 tooth), changed the front tire to 2.4 DHRs, swapped my carbon bars and shorter Renthal stem from my Bronson and it weighs in at 32.5 lbs.

Noticeably heavier than my 2017 Bronson which was also a S build with Reserves (30lbs)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.