Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this story short winded cause once I post the picture this will all make more sense.

So I went to Auburn yesterday with a friend whom is a professional photographer. She called me earlier in the week cause she wanted to round up a few riders to do a photo shoot. Got the crew together and we headed out planning to ride the Culvert / Confluence loop. When we get to first part of the Culvert where the fallen log step down is there was a guy who asked me if I had ever hit it before and I said fo sho and promptly jumped it. Then he said no, no. I was talking about jumping it over the trail to the dirt mound that was built up on the other side. I looked at it, I looked at him to see if he was serious (he was) then said that's f-in crazy. I guessed it was a 40 footer. I mean were talking about Red Bull Rampage stuff here. I never even thought of it cause it's way out of my league.

So after a few run up attempts at it he said he thought he could make it. I'm like alright dude, we'll watch and set up for a camera shot. He had to be going 25-30 mph when he hit it and flew. Unfortunately he came up about 3 feet short completely stacked!! Amazingly he only broke his ankle and we had to call in the medics. This was the most amazing thing I've seen in a while. That dude has some serious cajones!

I'm still waiting on the photo from my friend but I think it turned out good. I'll post it when I get it. We didn't get any photo's of the crash cause our jaws hit the floor when he hit. That was CRAZY!

The guys name was Scott and he was riding a VP Free. I don't know if he's on these boards but he is my new hero. :thumbsup:

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr.P said:
Are you saying he jumped from the fallen log - over the trail - to the landing transition for the other tree jump?

Insane!

P
Yup and yup!

Edit: From the fallen tree jump step down thing over the trail to a mound of dirt that was built up on the other side. I remember looking at that mound and thinking what that hell is that for. I'm not sure if whoever built that had this in mind. It's crazy and I don't know if it can be done successfully.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
hero or idiot?

I wouldn't call someone who breaks his ankle trying some insane jump a hero. He could have broken his neck instead. What an idiot.
Well, I hope he'll recover soon, but also that he learned a lesson.

- J.L.

·
I dig trails!
5,599 Posts
Just to review. This guy had no buddies, just strangers to cover is @ss should things go really bad? Wow. (MTB riders are great at helping out, but one really needs a dedicated crew when going RedBull ;))

Sorry to hear he got hurt, and hope he heals up fast.

Would love to see that pic. :)

P

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
JL de Jong said:
I wouldn't call anyone who breaks his ankle trying some insane jump a hero. He could have broken his neck instead. What an idiot.

- J.L.
What about Bobby McMullen, what he does is insane...
All I can say is

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the photo. One clean version and one describing what's going on.

Scott was not alone. His daughter was riding with him and his wife was waiting at the bottom for them. He wouldn't have hit it if we weren't there which is what he told us.

Attachments

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
At least it made for a good photo.

Hey Jeng, is that you in the Remedy promo video on trekbikes.com? How'd you swing that one?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
jeng said:
Here's the photo. One clean version and one describing what's going on.

Scott was not alone. His daughter was riding with him and his wife was waiting at the bottom for them. He wouldn't have hit it if we weren't there which is what he told us.
"HEY, GUYS, WATCH THIS!"

Famous last words.

Poor guy.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Sometimes Darwin gets it wrong

JL de Jong said:
I wouldn't call anyone who breaks his ankle trying some insane jump a hero. He could have broken his neck instead. What an idiot.

- J.L.
The things that pass for natural selection these days. I guess sometimes Darwin gets it wrong.....fortunately for this fellow's DAUGHTER WHO WAS WATCHING!!!! Being an ORPHAN is no fun [I KNOW]. Nor is the concept of being WIDOWED, for the wife waiting down the trail.
Certainly those heightened possibilities in this situation, are a bit more "Harsh" then J.L.'s words in this forum. FWIW +1 J.L., well said.

·
I dig trails!
5,599 Posts
jeng said:
Great photo! I'm glad loved ones were there to help during that dark time.

Looks like he has it in the photo. And tho that gapper is totally flippin' nuts, the lip on that tree jump is a tremendous launcher. So I can understand why he thought it was possible. I won't do it (the short transition) anymore as no matter what I do - including scrubbing a lot of speed, I fly past the transition to near flat by the trail :( But I am just an old hack.

I hope you have some contact info for him, and can get him a copy of that photo, as it could really bring his spirits up. To Scott where ever you are that is an amazing sackage gapper!

P

1 - 20 of 124 Posts