Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
roar
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is fun. We ran into Nick, Jen, and Craig on the trail last night and finished up our ride with them. It was a really nice evening and sure didn't feel as hot as the thermometer said. Heres a few pics on Shanes.

Attachments

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Beautiful out last night. I (gasp!) wore my lycra and rode my (double gasp!) short travel XC bike (triple gasp!) up Sidewinder and Devils Slide! Imagine that - riding bikes UP hill! The nice little west to northwest breeze did make it feel a little cooler, and it was really odd how empty it was out there last night. It was like the foothills were in a 10 year time warp when you could ride for 2 hours after work on a summer night and see only 3 - 4 other riders.

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Earthpig said:
It was like the foothills were in a 10 year time warp when you could ride for 2 hours after work on a summer night and see only 3 - 4 other riders.
Maybe the same old trails are boring.

Maybe the trails aren't challenging enough.

Maybe everyone owns bikes with more travel and more gears than are actually needed to enjoy the footies.

Maybe people are afraid to sweat in the heat and squint in the sun.

Somebody called me "old school" as I was riding by the other night. The feckin' Nancy-boy. I felt like introducting him to hyperviolent friend "Mr. Chuckles"

I think the footies are great this time of year - almost as much fun as nighttime in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
gorgeous night

we rode out from mil. reserve at about 10:30 and did a quick buck's loop, it was beautiful.

despite zona's dad's high-end light malfunction (for as much cash as we drop on them it seems they are pretty persnickety. worth their weight in gold tho if i can be on the trail in the cool of night i suppose)
he rode a lot of it with zero light, some with a petzl headlamp, all with style. go alan, creature of the night! no turning back.:thumbsup:

all four of us were on our hardtails, bouncing around like bunnies. it was fun!! i've been off the hardtail for a while and spoiled with the slayer(s) but whew! a good reminder that the hardtail keeps me honest. no fudging and plowing through anything while riding trixie.

who were we howling with last night? we returned your wolf calls across the ridge, then became monkeys. 'bout 11:45?

good times. thank god for night riding. i don't know how y'all can ride in this heat, it just zaps me. for those of you who haven't tried night riding, consider getting a good light. it is so peaceful and a different perspective on the same old trail.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
MTNgirl said:
thank god for night riding. i don't know how y'all can ride in this heat, it just zaps me. for those of you who haven't tried night riding, consider getting a good light. it is so peaceful and a different perspective on the same old trail.
Even though my past two rides in the early evenings has been in the 90s, suprisingly it ain't that bad. Yeah....gimme 65 degree sunny weather anyday, but ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do to get a ride in. Just gotta hydrate well throughout the day prior to the ride, hydrate well throughout the ride, slather on the sunscreen (yes...even mocha colored skinned folks like me gotta do it too!!), and dial it down a bit. Riding in this hot weather is totally doable.

I have a handlebar/helmet combo light setup. They are just 10w each. Definately not bling-bling HID lights like what everyone else is running, but they work. IF I do find several hundo under my couch cushions, I *think* I might buy a brighter system just so I could go a lil' bit faster during the winter :D.

·
Registered
282 Posts
nick, you are an island boy with brown skin~i'll guess that your genetic predisposition helps you handle the heat. or maybe i'm just a super-****** wimp. ok, i defintely am.

i wish i could handle the heat better. i've got a new pair of stick-e's on trixie and i want to see how much they beef her up, but i can't even dream of going out until the sun goes down.

it's sunday, hopefully my mom's pool will be sparsely inhabited. heathen's only today, i fit in to that category.

let's go swimmin!!:D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.