Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few folks asking for this, and instead of posting in multiple threads, I figure I would start a new one. Hopefully the pics show up correctly. But first. Info/numbers.

image (3).jpeg

This is literally a frame swap from my Trance Advanced 27.5 0, but I will note a few key ingredients.

Stem: Giant Carbon 50mm
Bars: Enve DH (full 800mm)
Fork: Revelation (130mm)
Wheels: Giant Carbon
Rear Tire: WTB BeeLine 2.2
Front Tire: WTB Vigilante 2.3
Drive: XX1
Brakes: X0 Trail, 170F/160R

HA: 67.5 (according to iphone)
Weight: 24.8 (I weigh mine with pedals, as I ride with pedals)

On that note: I can certainly lighten it up and make it roll a bit faster simply by swapping the tires, cranks, bars, and losing the dropper. However, that is not why I built this bike. I built this to have the snap of a XC bike with the speed of the trance. My trance is now my full on Enduro bike, built more like the SX.

Ride Report: I have quite a bit of time on the trance, and quite a few hours on the m'Anthem. Two different animals for sure, with a solid overlap in the middle. When I stand to climb on the Anthem, it is much more like my Tarmac, as the Trance makes it obvious that I should sit back down and stay efficient. The m'Anthem is a RIPPER! With it's new slack head angle, low front end, and low BB, I feel like I am on a 4X bike. I am blown away each and every time I ride these new 27.5 Giants.

The Maestro just fits the 27.5 perfectly. Pick your line, hit the apex and accelerate out. Every time, without even trying. I come from a heavy MX background, and my style is transferred directly. Elbows out, over the front, rear end steering. I have yet to ride an XC bike that could handle this style. This bike is perfect. The harder you push it, the more the bike settles in. I set it up a bit stiffer then the charts ask, and slowed the rebound down a couple clicks in the rear. Manualing is effortless, and flick-ability is top notch. Highs peed stability is great, but I give that up to the bars.

This bike is certainly for everyone, but maybe set up a bit different. 120mm Fork would give you a great balance if you are looking for a bit more on your standard XC bike and to slacken the HA just a bit. Sort the tire choice to keep the weight down and rolling resistance high.

Jumping ability is fantastic. Very balanced, however, keeping it smooth is ideal as you don't have 150mm in the back to save you on those sloppy short falls.

I don't have a whole lot of time on really rough trail going down quite yet. As far as going up, I am nicknaming this the mountain goat. I can get up things I have never been able to pedal before.

Questions? Ask away.

image (4).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image.jpeg

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sweet ride. I'm thinking 120mm for my AA1 but a revelation fork would be sweet. Did you replace the top headset or is the RS revel an OD2 fork?

Can you describe a little more the difference in handling with the slacker HA, especially for going uphill vs stock fork?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headset was pulled off the Trance, so it is still the OD2. The revelation really isn't all that much heavier then the SID it would come with, but it's worth the stiffness. 350 grams ish...

Handling is much more stable and precise from the smaller bikes I have ridden in the past. I think you would be slightly more comfortable climbing if you leave it as is, but I did not notice any negative characteristics with it as slack as it is. But keep in mind, I am used to these angles. I get on 70+ and wish I had my slacker bikes. I had no problem keeping the front wheel on the ground, and felt like I was in the correct position on steeper climbs. The front tire slowed me down more then anything at that point.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Did you pull the Revelation from the Trance 0? According to the specs it's 120-140mm dual-air. Did you use spacers to reduce travel? I'm asking because I found a takeoff for sale so looking at options.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm getting the stock fork on my Anthem 3 converted to 120mm this week, similar effect but mine weighs about 23.5#, I'm stoked to try it out this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts