Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Core Cadre of the Meer Mortals and a few of us wannabees hooked up for a delicious Shoreline/Bayview loop over in Marin. Stripes (Ann) and Russ, Bill, Karen, Carol, Ray, Brandon were joined by Manzanita Tom and wife Phillipa for a ten member ride on a cool and sunny day. At Miwok Meadow we ran into some old friends of Annes', Rose and Kurt for an even dozen. They fit right in. It is a very interesting group of riders who don't take their riding, or themselves, too seriously yet their riding is important to them. Each of them had interesting strengths. Nice supportive, patient, thoughtful riders who work at their skills almost as hard as they work on their desire to make the ride fun for everyone. A big part of their enjoyment of the ride, though, is in enriching their skills; better riders get more from their riding.
CC is a funny place because it can be enjoyed at any speed. I got to ride with riders of varied skills in different parts of the loop. Climbing was fun because I was looking at the surfaces in a new way to see why they were challenging. Taking the small climbs at a certain pace, finding the plateau for recovery, saving energy for rough spots. On Bayview down past Back Ranch (Owl) with Russ and Phillipa the beauty of the trail design became so clear and I think we had a really good time with that; parsing out energy, planning the approach and exit in turns, appreciating the banks where off cambers would be the norm, the natural flow of the trail. This is one trail that can really teach flow.
Stripes and Russ dropped a box of parts goodies on the ECHSMTB club: F&R Ders, tires, BB, a Mule, stem and brand new Marz bomber MX and other stuff. Pretty sweet all around, I have to say. Much Thanks!
I have promised to lead a Meer Mortals ride over in the East Bay and I think I can produce something approriate. I should do it in the next few weeks.

Attachments

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
A good group

I've joined the mere mortals on many rides when I'm looking for something different and something less than an epic. Anne (Stripes) has done a super job with that group she started a year ago. It's grown quite large and quite active.

It fits a needed gap in the biking scene. The group serves beginner and moderate speed riders. The group has lots more diversity in their activities with things like skill classes, urban riding, social rides, combined rides with ROMP, MTBR and other organizations as appropriate.

·
aka Manzanita Tom
87 Posts
Great ride today - thanks, Anne, for organizing it; thanks, Mike, for shooting it (and writing so eloquently about it above - you should collect your posts and publish them, I think); and thanks to all who came out for a ride on a such a beaut day - Philippa and I enjoyed meeting you all. Looking forward to the next one.
-Tom

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Sorry I missed the ride. REALLY needed a recovery day after Coe the day before. I've never cramped like I did yesterday. The sad part is that last year, I ran a 10K the night before Coe and was fine. I've got A LOT of fitness to recover. Nice pics.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
Those pictures certainly are an indictment of sweeco-built "singletrack."

Ouch.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never thought of this as singletrack

More like track and a half. Pete, didn't they use some sort of a machine to plow these things out? Another question. Why did they build them anyhow?

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
More like track and a half. Pete, didn't they use some sort of a machine to plow these things out?

Google rocks even though I misspelled Sweco.

Berkeley Mike said:
Another question. Why did they build them anyhow?
Race tracks for baby joggers maybe? They certainly are so wide and so flat as to qualify for the epitome of weaksauce multi-use...

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Just don't like Marin trails do you?

Heh heh,

Go west young man, but you've got to admit that China Camp is a fast trail though. Don't run over any of our neighbors on the trail when you get your flow on. Slidemon showed me some trails just off of Dominican college that justify as "tight" trails, albeit you're done in about twenty minutes. I don't remember the names but their off the paved road and a fireroad about three hundred feet up the hill.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
johnnyb said:
Slidemon showed me some trails just off of Dominican college that justify as "tight" trails, albeit you're done in about twenty minutes.
Hey, you had to cut out before we got to the good stuff! BTW, did that ride that we did back on the first day of summer today. Noticed there was significant branch cut at the hardest point of an unamed trail, kind of a bummer. Think I rode down your street but wasn't sure which house was yours... When are we riding again?

-slide

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
slide mon said:
Hey, you had to cut out before we got to the good stuff! BTW, did that ride that we did back on the first day of summer today. Noticed there was significant branch cut at the hardest point of an unamed trail, kind of a bummer. Think I rode down your street but wasn't sure which house was yours... When are we riding again?

-slide
Hey Slide! They knocked down the clothesline drop there? I could never make it anyway, but it was certainly the hardest thing on that trail. Not to hijack this thread so look in your email.

b

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
johnnyb said:
Just don't like Marin trails do you?
I never wrote that, nor is it true. That's merely your incredibly inaccurate assumption.

johnnyb said:
Go west young man, but you've got to admit that China Camp is a fast trail though. Don't run over any of our neighbors on the trail when you get your flow on. Slidemon showed me some trails just off of Dominican college that justify as "tight" trails, albeit you're done in about twenty minutes.
Thanks but I've ridden JT Howell, JCC et al plenty of times. Those trails are much different than the "singletrack" pictured above.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
stripes said:
Go hijack someone else's thread :rolleyes: This is lame. You guys can have yer own discussion on another thread.

There is no such thing as thread ownership. Sorry.

The subject is China Camp. People are discussing it. This is a discussion forum.

If this thread continues to cause you pain, I would suggest that you resist the urge to keep reading it.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
back on original topic, looks like it was a fun ride, i didn't even realize it was going on. i missed the coe ride (just got back from the east coast and needed some family time saturday) and did a ride in briones yesterday in the absence of knowing about anything else. would a good 12 year old be acceptable on some of these rides??

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,088 Posts
Sorry I missed the China Camp ride (and the Coe ride too!), I was still up in the Sierra working a moto event. Hope to make a MM ride soon!

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Meer Mortals sounds perfect...

BigLarry said:
It fits a needed gap in the biking scene. The group serves beginner and moderate speed riders. The group has lots more diversity in their activities with things like skill classes, urban riding, social rides, combined rides with ROMP, MTBR and other organizations as appropriate.
...for helping my wife get comfortable on the dirt! She just got a pretty nice MTB and we are sloooowly working toward getting onto some more dirt. I think a mere mortals ride would be great sometime soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
stripes said:
Yes, 12 year olds are fine as long as the parents are willing to hang with them. :)

We've had some younger folks on the rides before, and they tend to make things more fun because it's nice to see the trail through someone who isn't so jaded like the rest of us yet.

It's all skill set dependent--not age dependent.
the question is more like whether he's willing to hang with the parents......:D

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let me know when you bring your son.

My son and his friend (13 & 12) would have done very well with the MM's. However, younger riders are a subgroup of riders that need to be integrated into an already etablished group of adults which has its' own style. Designating a rider to manage them is a good idea as they simply do things differently. Once they know the rules, though, they are fine.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
stripes said:
No, the OP is about a GOOD ride experience, not complaining about China Camp.

The thread is fine.. it's yer whining that causes me pain. :rolleyes:
If this thread is causing you pain you REALLY need to grow a thicker skin and/or seperate people's opinions about a trail that you apprently hold dear from your feelings about yourself.

Again, you are struggling a great deal with the concept of "discussion."

There is never a guarantee that every discussion is going to be only warm fuzzies, especially when pictures are posted that show what can happen when trail builders go wild with "heavy" machinery.

p.s. You're whining about somene else's alleged whining. That's funny.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts