Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having decided on a Specialized Stump Jumper as my next bike, I wondered what size I should be going for, small or medium (my local Specialized dealer sized me up as a medium in the womans), I'm 5ft 6" - additionally, with this is mind do a really need to go for womans specific or could I get away with a mans?

Most of the time (90%) I ride trails in South Wales, UK, with steep (rocky / rooty) technical climbs, technical windy single track, rocky descents, fire road climbs and small drop offs (1-2 ft).

p.s I can get hold of a 05 fsr 120 expert for £800, compared to a 06 medium female SJ for £1900.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Not sure how helpful I may be, but I'm 5'9 and ride a Large, so I imagine a Medium would be okay. As for women's specific... I have a really long torso and fairly short legs for my height. So, I went with the regular version. I ended up getting an Easton carbon bar recently, and a Thomson stem (100mm 15 degree rise) as opposed to the stock stumpjumper bar and stem, and I was much more comfortable on the bike yesterday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyones feedback.

I've got a 30" inseam.

My current bike is pretty basic and far from ideal, so I don't think its worth basing my next bike on my current stem, bar and seatpost dimensions etc.

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
UK Girl Rider said:
Thanks for everyones feedback.

I've got a 30" inseam.

My current bike is pretty basic and far from ideal, so I don't think its worth basing my next bike on my current stem, bar and seatpost dimensions etc.
my daughter rides a women's specific stumpy and tells me that its the best bike that she has had the opportunity to ride. She no longer has a sore back after about an hour on the trails and advises that not only should you consider your inseam but the length of your arms. The geometry is quite different as it allows for a longer leg and shorter arm, quite different from the men's model.

She has the 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Elite Disc Women's (much too long a name), came with a Fox Float R shock and a Manitou Black Fork (100mm with the women's Diva spring...very plush ride). It has been discontinued but i was able to find a new one at my lbs this past summer...came in at less than half the price of the 2005 Women's 120 Comp

There must be a difference because both her SO and I have problems riding this bike...the handlebar is too close and the peddles "feel" to be in the wrong place...she loves it though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.