Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having decided on a Specialized Stump Jumper as my next bike, I wondered what size I should be going for, small or medium (my local Specialized dealer sized me up as a medium in the womans), I'm 5ft 6" - additionally, with this is mind do a really need to go for womans specific or could I get away with a mans?

Most of the time (90%) I ride trails in South Wales, UK, with steep (rocky / rooty) technical climbs, technical windy single track, rocky descents, fire road climbs and small drop offs (1-2 ft).

p.s I can get hold of a 05 fsr 120 expert for £800, compared to a 06 medium female SJ for £1900.

Any thoughts?

M

·
0 Posts
it is really hard to answer that question without seeing your riding position. the SJ comes with a fairly long stem, so if you feel a bit stretched out on the Medium, you can get a shorter stem with more rise and eliminate that.

the larger frame size can be a good thing. from your description of your riding i would say the medium might serve you better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A lot of it will depend on your inseam and arm length.

In general, at 5'6" you could probably fit on either bike making adjustments to the seat and handlebar positions as needed.

Some considerations if you feel like either size will work:

- a small will may feel either nimble (or twitchy) depending on what you prefer. A medium would probably feel a more stable. It would probably be easier to keep the front wheel on the ground and maybe a bit less likely to flip over the handlebars on a quick stop.

- I think the women's sizing is a bit unnecessary. All the women I know got the regular men's size and felt it worked fine.

- The medium and regular style are going to be more popular which would most likely increase your resale value if you decide to sell it in the future.

- You might also consider who else might ride the bike - would one size or the other fit them better.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm slightly taller than you (and male) and ride a Small mens '05 SJ 120. I did feel a bit cramped at first, but now I've fitted the layback Thomson seatpost and feel it's just right for me. However, I don't know how the womens version varies - in fact I thought the '05 womens models only came in a 100?

·
Adobo Lover
984 Posts
I'm 5 6 also. I rode my friends SJ and it was alright. It's like I'm in between sizes. However, if I had to buy one I would definitely see how the small feels.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My girlfriend is 5'8" and rides a men's medium 06 stumpjumper. I think the women's medium would be perfect for you as the geometery is a little smaller.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
My wife rides a WSD M (Epic). She tried the men's small and the women's medium. She says the WSD felt better; something she can't quantify, but it was just right. Though, she also says we would have bought the men's S if that was all that was available.

For what that's worth.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, my wife rides a 2004 Stumpy FSR Men's Small. She tried the women's small and medium FSRs, but in the end decided the men's fit better.

I have heard that the WSD frames make a bigger difference in smaller women. For people like you who are well within the range of smaller men, a men's bike could work well for you.

Having said that, women generally have longer legs and shorter torsos and arms for a given height compared to men, so whatever feels best is what you should go with (obviously).

·
Registered
446 Posts
5' 7.25" HERE

I have about 33 inseam in jeans, arm length about 27.25 inch reach to middle finger tip. I have the Medium, and the stock stem was way to long. I felt too XC layed out. I put a riser stubby stem on and a 2.5 inch riser bar. This bike size is pretty much the best of both worlds for me. It is long enough to climg, yet I can maneuver it for ledg drops and playing round in the rocks.

Ask how much shorter the FRAME ONLY is in the small. Ask them to place a short stem on the Medium frame and compar that to the Small with the stock frame. Try the two frame sizes with the same cockpit lengths to the end of the stems. See what your thoughts are. Let us know how they compare.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I am a bloke, 5'9 and ride a medium. I'd say try and test ride one, the non s-works ones in most dealers have the same geometry.

Stu

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm 5'6 and use a med sj 120

I know for a fact that the women's frame has a shorter top tube than the men's frame so the fit would be very different.

Sorry to add to the confusion

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Test ride both if you can (men's small, women's medium), and if the men's small fits well, it's a wicked deal... according to their website, the '05 Expert has a really nice spec (like Septune shock and Talas fork).

You can always fine tune stem length, but the frame is the most expensive part of the bike, so you want the size as close as possible before changing stem etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts