Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go with a medium or long cage rear derailleur on a 575? I plan on running the standard 44/32/22 up front and an 11/34 in the back. (Frankly, I had no idea that there were different cage lengths on rear derailleurs.)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you're running that setup a long cage is best. If you run a medium cage you could run into a problem if you mistakenly shift into the big/big combination. You can run a longer chain to prevent this but the derailleur won't be able to take up the slack if you cross chain in the small/small. If you're good about not cross chaining you can run a medium just be aware of the negatives.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Read the first couple of posts in the Cage Length sticky thread in the Drivetrain forum.

Boiling it down, there are some advantages to going shorter, but as Tinshield pointed out, you'll probably drop your chain if you accidentally shift to small-small. (The part about running the chain "longer" is incorrect -- you would run it at the same length as you would with a long cage derailleur.)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Read the first couple of posts in the Cage Length sticky thread in the Drivetrain forum.

Boiling it down, there are some advantages to going shorter, but as Tinshield pointed out, you'll probably drop your chain if you accidentally shift to small-small. (The part about running the chain "longer" is incorrect -- you would run it at the same length as you would with a long cage derailleur.)
That's true now that I think about it. When I put a new chain on I wrap it over the big cogs/rings then add two links. Problem is if you do this with a med cage you'll have lots of slack in the small cross chain scenario because the cage won't be long enough to pick up the slack. If you ran the chain shorter to prevent this it will be too short in the big/big. I run a 2x9 on my bikes. On my new Fisher I run a med cage XT.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
If you are an experienced mtb'er, go medium cage, I doubt you would ever have a problem... I have always run med cage on a 3 ring setup, and short cage on a 2 ring setup... Never a problem.... Less chain slap too...

Step outside the comfort zone...

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Regard Sram Tech and their "MUST" decree, that's the overly simplistic & practical solution for those misanthropes not seeking to understand the how/what/why behind different cage lengths. So to the everyday Joe mountainbiker who thinks not to ask the question, "MUST" is a sound answer.

Tinshield said:
That's true now that I think about it. When I put a new chain on I wrap it over the big cogs/rings then add two links. Problem is if you do this with a med cage you'll have lots of slack in the small cross chain scenario because the cage won't be long enough to pick up the slack. If you ran the chain shorter to prevent this it will be too short in the big/big. I run a 2x9 on my bikes. On my new Fisher I run a med cage XT.
Yeah, that's the compromise with a shorter cage length. Either too long in the smaller combos, or too short (Yeoch!) in the bigger combos.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nate - after I posted this, I did a little searching and found your post from a few years ago about this subject. Very informative post. I did end up going with the long cage.

And flip, yes, I agree. I got tired of wanting a 575 and finally got off my @ss and bought one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.