Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at all the good Rip and Jet frames going in the classifieds around a grand and wonder what size I need.

I generally have taken large frames in 6" am bikes and 29ers, but my 4" XC bike is a medium (23") TT and fits me pretty well with a 120mm stem, though I've always suspected the 23.5" with a 100mm stem might've been better.

Why is it that I need a longer top tube in 29er's and AM bikes? Is it because of the taller head tube making the position feel too upright and cramped?

Can I get away with medium Jet9 (23.7" tt) and a little longer, flatter stem and flat bars?

I've ridden large Rip 9s and Sultans and they both feel pretty good.....

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
KRob, what you looking to do with this FS 29er? I ask as I've seen what you ride and know you like big stuff as well as XC stuff. If it's mainly as an XC weapon definitely go for the JET9, if it's for a good trail bike definitely go for the RIP9.

As for size I'd say definitely if you're going with the RIP9 with how I suspect you'd ride it you don't want to use anything over 100mm for a stem, so go by what you use on your other bikes for total cockpit length using a <100mm stem. I know that when I switched from my Trance to the RIP I stuck with an XL and gained 3/4" in the ETT and used back the same stem, post and really liked the increased room. Heck I just checked and even from my original setup on the RIP9 I have gained a 1/2" in total cockpit from just 1.5 years ago - saddle maybe further back, zero degree stem from 6 degree, flat bars. Not sure exactly how, but that's what I measured a couple days ago when doing a comparisson to the KM.

Just for info, how tall are you again, and what's your build?

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LyNx.

I'm just under 6 ft with kinda short legs (32" inseam) and longish torso if you count the pelvic girdle as part of the torso, that is. :rolleyes:

My plans for this 29er are as a replacement for my Hammerhead 100x (Titus Racer X 100)... but I'd always thought I might want something a bit more trail bike like the Rip 9 or Sultan that could still crossover into XC stuff pretty well. However, a couple of recent reviews of the Jet have me thinking that a fast, light XC sled might just be a hoot... and with the big wheels could still handle some chunk(?).

A lot of my local trails just cry out for a bike like the Jet 9.... but I'd hate to give up too much in the way of chunky, rough, tech capability because this is the bike I'd be riding when my son comes home and we go ride together or do a father/son Moab trip or something (Just sold my Intense 6.6).

FWIW... the Niner site puts me square on the medium according to their sizing guidelines but I felt pretty comfortable on the Large Rip 9s I rode this year and last at I-bike (this year's feeling a bit bigger than last for some reason).

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I suspect your reported 32" inseam is actually quite a bit longer if talking about true bike inseam
Yes, that's pants inseam. I think my cycling "measured" inseam is closer to 33.5". But my height is still a bit misleading. My legs and torso are kinda short actually and I make up most of my height in that tall pelvic girdle and long neck.

Your HH was a 23" also though, right Jamie?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well Dude, if you've actually ridden both the older and newer ones and know how they felt, then to me that gives you the answer. What you're talking about is picking up an older model which would not have the new "longer" feel. Can you remember what stem and post the bikes were set up with or have pics to reference?

As to the JET9, I think your comment which I bolded and especially the Moab comment tells me - Stick with the RIP9! You can build it up XCish for about your trails - nice light wheelset, tyres etc - and then when heading to Moab or such throw on a burlier wheelset and some big tyres. I'll tell you just swapping out the tyres from something around 800g to some 640ish ones makes a huge difference in how the bike feels.
Definitely throw on a TA fork in the 120mm range and I think you'll be just fine, heck if you can wait a bit and don't mind spending get the U-Turn REBA. Me personally though, I think if I was going for a "deal frame" I'd stick with that idea and see if I could snag one of the "deal" manitous from Jenson in 120mm TA.

Almost forgot.........don't forget to take your appendiges into account when sizing :skep: I'm only 6'2" yet comfortably fit an XL frame with a setback post and 120mm stem, total cockpit length of 37", 'cause I have super long arms.

KRob said:
Thanks LyNx.

I'm just under 6 ft with kinda short legs (32" inseam) and longish torso if you count the pelvic girdle as part of the torso, that is. :rolleyes:

My plans for this 29er are as a replacement for my Hammerhead 100x (Titus Racer X 100)... but I'd always thought I might want something a bit more trail bike like the Rip 9 or Sultan that could still crossover into XC stuff pretty well. However, a couple of recent reviews of the Jet have me thinking that a fast, light XC sled might just be a hoot... and with the big wheels could still handle some chunk(?).

A lot of my local trails just cry out for a bike like the Jet 9.... but I'd hate to give up too much in the way of chunky, rough, tech capability because this is the bike I'd be riding when my son comes home and we go ride together or do a father/son Moab trip or something (Just sold my Intense 6.6).

FWIW... the Niner site puts me square on the medium according to their sizing guidelines but I felt pretty comfortable on the Large Rip 9s I rode this year and last at I-bike (this year's feeling a bit bigger than last for some reason).

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flafonta said:
I am 5'10", 34 inseam and my Medium Jet9 with a 105mm stem fits me like a glove.
It was your report over on the 29er board that got me thinking Jet 9. I should've ridden one when I was at I-bike but I didn't think I'd be interested. Nice bike and I'll bet it would rip the snot out've most of my local trails.... but I think LyNx is right... if I want some crossover into the chunkier stuff like Porcupine Rim, Bootleg Canyon, and Gooseberry I probably ought to stay with the Rip 9 or Sultan.

There was a Black medium Jet 9 frame with a white Fox 29 120 fork listed on the classifieds earlier this week (that's why I was asking about the medium)... but now I can't find it. Must've sold.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LyNx said:
As to the JET9, I think your comment which I bolded and especially the Moab comment tells me - Stick with the RIP9! You can build it up XCish for about your trails - nice light wheelset, tyres etc - and then when heading to Moab or such throw on a burlier wheelset and some big tyres. I'll tell you just swapping out the tyres from something around 800g to some 640ish ones makes a huge difference in how the bike feels.
Yeah, you're probably right.... however the HH100x only has 3.8" of travel and handles the chunk of Moab and Vegas pretty well. Don't know if the Jet would be comparable with its 3.1 and bigger wheels. I kinda doubt it's as solid and flex free as the HH though.

LyNx said:
Almost forgot.........don't forget to take your appendiges into account when sizing :skep: I'm only 6'2" yet comfortably fit an XL frame with a setback post and 120mm stem, total cockpit length of 37", 'cause I have super long arms.
My arms are pretty average. I wear off the rack 15 1/2, 32-33 dress shirts.

Oh and here's a pic of the 2008 Rip we rode last year. It's been awhile ago but I think it fit pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well KRob, from that pic it looks like the standard Niner Build kit (except for the Manitou) and the L & XL come with a 110mm stem which means you could easily shorten up the cockpit going to 100mm, 90mm or even a 80mm stem and/or some more sweep bars, yet retain the stability the longer wheelbase affords.
Just on a side note, I remember the first time I did a proper cycling inseam measurement, I was shocked that the 32-34" pant inseam I was accustomed to was actually a 35.25" cycling inseam :eek:

·
Registered
452 Posts
KRob, that was my Medium Jet with the Fox fork in the classifieds. Yes, it did sell. Too bad you didn't see it sooner. You might have started a bidding war and I could've gotten more for it. Oh well.

Anyway, I used to have a HH100X as well. It was a 23" TT and I used a 120mm stem. I loved that bike but the 29er wheels were calling me. I used a 100mm stem on the medium Jet and it was perfect for me. I think the medium is the size you should get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.