Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this topic's been beatin to death around here but I just wanna know. If you ride Heckler (particularly a medium). What is your stem length and degree, what kind of stem are you using, what kind of bars are you using, and what is the riser height? On my medium Heckler I'm currently running an old Azonic Shorty 75mm 10degree and an old Easton EA 50 riser with a 1.5" rise. I like the stem size but was thinking I might go to 90mm Thomson X4 because I ride more all around, this would be nice cause my front wheel may tend to stay down more on the really steep climbs. I love the 75mm for going downhill but I ride up a lot too. Does anybody know or have experience in changing stem lengths on their Heckler, how big of a difference in feel will 15mm really be (a lot probably, just want to hear comments)? If I ran the 90mm stem and an Easton EA70 2" riser with 8 degree sweep would it almost be the same as the 75mm stem and 1.5" riser (8 degree sweep I'm assuming) because although you gain length in stem you also gain height in rise, so could you pull the bars back almost as far as the shorter stem and lower rise (what about a 2.5" riser?)? I don't know if this last part makes sense, but if anybody has experience with any of these topics please let me know. Thanks.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Don't use that

nativeson said:
Hi,

I know this topic's been beatin to death around here but I just wanna know. If you ride Heckler (particularly a medium). What is your stem length and degree, what kind of stem are you using, what kind of bars are you using, and what is the riser height? On my medium Heckler I'm currently running an old Azonic Shorty 75mm 10degree and an old Easton EA 50 riser with a 1.5" rise. I like the stem size but was thinking I might go to 90mm Thomson X4 because I ride more all around, this would be nice cause my front wheel may tend to stay down more on the really steep climbs. I love the 75mm for going downhill but I ride up a lot too.
as an excuse why you lag so far behind on climbs :p Sorry, I could not resist. You have not answered your PM. What is your schedule for riding this weekend?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm coming from the opposite direction . . . I have a medium Heckler with a 105 mm Titec stem Lil Al with a 7 degree rise and a pair of Hellbent handlebars - 1" rise I think - and it's way too XC! This was Santa Cruz's recommended stem length for my height. I used to like it for climbing because it kept my front end down (see where I'm going with this?) but I went on a DH trip to Costa Rica and Wade Simmons loaned me his Cro-Mag shorty 50 mm stem. It made a huge difference and saved my ass on the super steep DH the Ticos murder themselves on down there. After the trip, I bought a Big Hit DH and realized I hate my Heckler's XC ride position. I'm too stretched over the Heckler's top tube and I don't recruit the right muscle groups in my back to properly pull upwards on the handlebars.

So now I'm looking for something more moderate at - you guessed it - 90 mm. Last year, I tried a Titec Big Al at 90 mm x 10 degree rise but I sold it because my front end lifted too easily on tough climbs and the bike felt a bit more twitchy for some reason. But it decended much more easily and I found it a lot easier to scoot my ass behind my seat. Believe me - you'll notice the extra 15 mm - it's a pretty big deal. I can't stand the feeling of being unable to yank the front wheel upwards. I'm getting into more freeride options along the XC / all-mountain trails so survival takes a higher priority over hillclimbing victories. I'll just try to adapt with body english. Lots of abs, keep elbows in, and pull downwards during the steep climbs.

Good luck.

Dave.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey as a relative newbie I'm kinda dealing with the same scenario. M- Heckler (I'm 5'10" w/30" inseam/pant length) had a 110mm stem with Hellbent riser bars (1 1/2"?). I could pedal uphill pretty well, but would get a neck ache and went over the handlebars a couple times (unrelated to the neck ache :p ) because I couldn't seem to get my weight back. I tried a diablo (50mm, 10 deg) stem, and steep descents were comfy, but climbing sucked. To confuse the issue even more, I recently upgraded my fork to a 6" travel, which really has got me guessing at the right cockpit set up. I'm trying a a 70mm 130 deg (steep- or 50 deg depending on from which side the angle is measured) and that seems not too bad, but there are very few "quality" stems that size available on the market- which makes me think I'm missing something or doing something wrong!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
G'day i have a suggestion "Buy, Borrow or steal as many different size stems and spacers as possible", experiment and ride til it fits good, also try adjusting your seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts