Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the chance to switch to an all X9 SRAM drive. I'd like to use an 11/34 casette, but I can only get a medium cage SRAM X9 Rear Derailleur. I know with Shimano this has cause some gears in 44 ring to be unusable. Any SRAM input is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
665 Posts
SRAM recommend the long cage version if you want to use a 44/33/22 crankset and 11-34 cassette. but this of course is only if you 'accidentally' (or otherwise) shift into a 22-11 gear ratio (and need the derailleur to take up the slack) or 44-34 ratio (where you need the chain length to stretch this far). given these are extremes, and not your usual riding-ratios, you can get away with a medium cage if you take care to avoid them.

the situation is slightly worse with FS, long travel, bikes. as you compress the rear end, it will stretch the drivetrain distance a couple links worth.

have a look at the SRAM tech manual: http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/TM_MTB_MY06_E.pdf

personally, i'd go the longcage i your situation. the benefits (lighter weight, more ground clearance, possibly snappier shifting) of the medium cage - in general - probably don't outweigh the possible problems.

:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input

Thanks! That's kinda what I thought, just not so familiar with the SRAM stuff. Appreciate your input. Have to think. Hmmmm.

Later.

·
Broken and dizzy
694 Posts
What if I'm running a 32/22 - 11/34 with a med cage setup on a Foes Fly? Obviously "cross-chaining" is a bad idea and should be avoided anyway, but 22-34 shouldn't be a problem should it?

·
Registered
665 Posts
for reliability and no doubt warranty, SRAM suggest:

*long cage: max tooth difference 45T
*medium cage: 37T
*short cage: 30T

so with your setup:
*crankset tooth difference (32 - 22) = 10T
*cassette difference (34 - 11) = 23T
*total difference 33T

so the MEDIUM cage is suitable for your setup. it will allow a chain long enough to stretch to the 32-34 gear ratio and gather up the slack for 22-11.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Does a short cage derailleur translate to more ground clearance? I'm running a 1X8 set up with a 36 took chainring in the front and an 11-34 cassette in back and I'd like to pull the derailleur up since I tend to hit it on rocks a lot.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
my friend rides a Ventana El Salt (5" travel) with the medium cage X.0 rear der and a 22/32/44 up front. the only problem he has is when on big and big, which of course you should not do anyway as you know. it is quite tight he says but he can cycle through the suspension even and it is fine.

·
Registered
665 Posts
coma13 said:
Does a short cage derailleur translate to more ground clearance? I'm running a 1X8 set up with a 36 took chainring in the front and an 11-34 cassette in back and I'd like to pull the derailleur up since I tend to hit it on rocks a lot.
it makes sense that there will be slightly better clearance of the bottom of the cage, subject to what gear you're in. but it doesn't alter the clearance of the parallelogram or P-knuckle (black bit with SRAM X.9/0 on it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts