Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yea the preference would be a medium cage on the m8000 11-42 with a wolftooth gc49 kit. BUT are there any advantages to running a long cage with that range? I ran a medium for 2 seasons and mistakenly got the long when the ordering but it saved just under 70$ going with the long.

I understand there will be more leverage so possibly a looser chain? Could clutch tension remedy that?

Also ground clearance is about 3/4” less but does the longer cage help with odd chainline angles with 11 spd drivetrains on non boost bikes?

Thanks for the opinions. And yes I do agree shorter is probably the best option but I’m looking for reasons why the long may be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
The medium M8000 cage has enough capacity even for a 11x50 cassette. A cage with an offset guide wheel is what helps with the shifting and these wide range cassettes. You would otherwise need a lot of b-screw adjustment...

My med wolftooth cage works great with my 11x50 Garbaruk and Hope 10x48 cassettes.

Ps. The only thing a long cage brings is added capacity.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really just don’t want to return all the stuff. It took a week to come in and this is probably the last drivetrain this bike will see so I partially don’t care. I just Hope first ride out I don’t pretzel the thing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW: Derailleurs with longer cages generally have stiffer P springs to compensate for the additional leverage.
This is making me feel better about keeping it. I did feel that with the medium cage and the chain at the proper length I felt the chain was somewhat loose but there was nothing I could do about it. Maybe the long cage with the same length chain will work well together.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So the long cage install is not going so good. The wolftooth kit I bought came with the two cogs, the new upper jokey wheel and inside cage. I missed the lip on the hanger and didn’t realize it. Set up the bike and something was wrong. Found it. Got it all back together now my chain is a link to short. Oh well, I didn’t go to college so a second chain is the price I pay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.