Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am split between the Avid Mechs and the Juicy 7's. Now the thing that splits my decision is the modulation plus the stopping power. I know that mechs will never fail in the sense that if you have air in the oil lines etc, the braking will be week, leakage etc, as well as having just a standard non-fluid system. However, i have this feeling that the Juicys will have more modulation, more stopping power, etc. So which one?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
sounds like you've already made a decision

about which brake to go with. I think you are pretty much on track about the main differences ... The modulation and power of the 7's are incredible. It's worth the difference in price. As for maintenence, both will require minimal service. Personally i think the hydro's require less, and bleeding the system is a no-brainer with the directions AVID supplies you with in the bleed kit. However....getting your hands on a set within the month will be tricky. Currently most retailers / distributors are completely out of stock. Sram/Avid suggests that the will be available again mid to late september. At that time i would be happy to help you out with a deal on a set !!!

later, Chad
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://redbarnbicycles.com/

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
have both

I've been running the Avid mechs for over a year now, and very happy with their performance. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, becuase they're so easy to install, adjust and maintain. My only reservations is stopping power tends to fade on long fast descents and you need to be careful to set up the brake cable as straight and directly as possible to the rear. I find my rear brake is a tad sluggish, and I'm kind of anal about a nice snappy lever feel.

With that said, I've just bought Juicy's at 123bikes.com (brakes were in stock, but not the bleed kit). Looking forward to installing and running them soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.