Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the moment I'm fantasy building a bike (it may turn out to be a real build). While researching suspension have found myself considering the fact that Rockshox have most service info readily available and I have been able to easily find parts for my 10+ year old ario shock. A few years ago I also rebuilt a White Brothers fork (now mrp) and found parts and info easy to come by. I read that Fox wants everything sent to them and DIYing is full of work arounds and internet research. I wonder about other brands, what are your experiences?

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,877 Posts
For the moment I'm fantasy building a bike (it may turn out to be a real build). While researching suspension have found myself considering the fact that Rockshox have most service info readily available and I have been able to easily find parts for my 10+ year old ario shock. A few years ago I also rebuilt a White Brothers fork (now mrp) and found parts and info easy to come by. I read that Fox wants everything sent to them and DIYing is full of work arounds and internet research. I wonder about other brands, what are your experiences?
Fox just recommends sending everything to them, but you don't have to. I do all of my own services, with the exception of a full service and teardown once yearly. Even then, I use a local suspension shop or mail in service.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
In fairness to fox, they have instructions and parts kits available to do full rebuilds of virtually all their products. The FIT cardridges are a royal pain with a lot of small parts, but can be done at home. The few manufactures that don’t are Ohlins, Cane Creek, and Xfusion.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,877 Posts
I don't think you had bad info if you were listening to a shop. There are so many forks with so many different parts out there these days, that a lot of shops will just tell you that they're sending your fork to Fox if you bring it in. It's definitely not required though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
imho it's now the complete opposite compared to around 10 years ago: at that time Fox was the magical unicorn stuff where only trained unicorn trainers ;) were able to perform any service, only changing springs and adjusting air pressures was allowed as customer so to speak. Rockshox had these spare parts pdfs online, each and every tune, piston etc. for Vivids, Monarch and forks had their own parts number and you could order them without any issues.
Now it's the other way round, Rockshox only has some major spare parts kits for forks and shocks, tunes etc. aren't documented or available at all and Fox now has this All Partlists | Bike Help Center | FOX online with all drawings etc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
These days, Fox has arguably the best spare parts supply. Tiny parts stop at 2015 or so, but if you bother to maintain your stuff properly, that's largely unneeded. Dealers can get anything Fox stocks.

Don't forget Manitou though. While it's not quite as easy to get every tiny small part, they're pretty good too. There's an emphasis on tuning with plenty of help available. Most of their forks are easier to service than Fox. The shocks as well. I haven't worked on the newest top end stuff, but they typically have fewer proprietary tools required.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
DVO

got Diamond Boost 27.5 and Topaz T3 and ...does what it says on the tin.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think I have heard DVO has really good support and their products are not bad to work on..?
They do. I've started dealing with them more lately and they're very easy people to deal with. None of that "our fluids or no warranty" BS. That means Motorex stuff gets a thumbs up. The dampers are cartridges, but bleeding is very easy, if a little bit messy. The air system is not like other designs hardware wise, but good quality. I think they make a pin socket for the end cap, and it would probably help.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Fox are easily the best of the big brands at making parts available, maybe not everyone can buy them but at least they exist! Excellent parts diagrams with o-ring dimensions and torque settings too.

The only tricky thing is they do have some special tools but there is a growing market for 3rd party versions there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.