Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have looked at mechanical disc brakes and hydro disc brakes. I know the specs, the weights, have read all the MTBR debates on them, I can probably even name all the colour schemes... but still I have no idea what to go with... I love the old skool but I understand the new skool... argh...

So I thought to help me decide you guys can give me your best / worst / most ridiculous comments on all things mechanical vs hydro... I don't want the pros and cons (I know all those), I just want random thoughts, breakages, off topic flaming... whatever cos I need to make a decision! :thumbsup:

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Both are good. If you want to do the cheap and cautious route, start with a single Avid BB7 for the front and see how you like it.

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
I like my hayes nines hydros.

my buddy went with avid bb7s on his KM. he had bling-tastic hope mono minis on his ellsworth and didn't like them at all.

i like cb2's idea though, you could save some $ by going the mech route also.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
My decisions long depended on what came as a good deal to me. Till the point it never happened with Mechanicals, and I got lightly used BB7's. It takes a better mechanic than me to set them up, but my friend's set is just amazing. Too powerful, if anything but perfect.
My Nines are perfect in their simplicity. Passed them on to a friend who's actually ride them regularly. Even in 160mm, a cheap OEM Nine brake once saved a kids lif on the 4X track. Kids bails right in front of me, on the landing of a huge table. Somehow the Nine brake got met to slow down safely in a meter or maybe 2 after touch down.
If you find a deal on Nines or similar Hayes, great. BB7's are always a good investment in the long run. Realize that both are to be considered heavy brakes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Tektro Mechanical Disc brakes with 160mm rotors and on the last trip I took I put them to the test. They even got me down a 80 degree slope with my feet not even on the petals(because I messed up and went too far lining it up), but anyway there was another occurence was when I was going down a trail that looked like it went into a good downhill section and well I wasn't looking far enough ahead to see that it cuts a quick 45 degree left and I had to squeeze my levers like I was juicing them. Nonetheless I guess what I am trying to say is I'm very well satisfied with my mechanical disc brakes and I can tell they work really well and are very very simple to setup and replace parts. With hydraulic disc brakes I guess you would need to bleed them and seems to be a bit more maintenance. Just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
sure it is!

duke walker said:
not possible
I see slopes that transition to vertical all the time (at the skate park).

Such slopes exist in nature too...the common name for them is "cliff". Occasionally cyclists will "huck" off of them. The only brake system that I know of that works even marginally on this sort of "slope" involves a parachute.

There you have it! The choice is clear...get mechanical parachutes.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,745 Posts
It's about conditions

Here in the Pacific NorthWet during the winter the dials on the Avid BB7s can get hard to turn when it's 40 degrees out and the calipers get packed up with gritty slop.

--Sparty

G

·
Sparticus said:
Here in the Pacific NorthWet during the winter the dials on the Avid BB7s can get hard to turn when it's 40 degrees out and the calipers get packed up with gritty slop.

--Sparty
Same thoughts from me too. Hydro's are a sealed system, so the dirt and grime in a wet climate won't get into the cables, and god do I love my Formula K18's. :thumbsup:

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
My wife has run Formula Oro Puros for 3 seasons and has never had issue one. Just awesome performance all the time. And probably half the weight of BB7s.

I've been running Juicy's (7s and Ultimates) for almost 4 years now and will never ever go back. They just feel too good...kinda like mechanicals do when you first change the cables/housing....

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
It's easier to carry a spare cable than a spare bleed kit if you plan on doing long remote rides and fear that you might crash and lose a hose/cable.

I've never encountered anyone that has had this happen though.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Go hydro

chumbox said:
Ok, I have looked at mechanical disc brakes and hydro disc brakes. I know the specs, the weights, have read all the MTBR debates on them, I can probably even name all the colour schemes... but still I have no idea what to go with... I love the old skool but I understand the new skool... argh...

So I thought to help me decide you guys can give me your best / worst / most ridiculous comments on all things mechanical vs hydro... I don't want the pros and cons (I know all those), I just want random thoughts, breakages, off topic flaming... whatever cos I need to make a decision! :thumbsup:
I have hydros and mechanicals on my two bikes. Hydros are better in every way.

Jaybo

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.