Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would think that the flexing rotor design of Avid's, Hayes, etc. would cause a loss of power and un-even pad wear if you are not on top of keeping the inner pad adjusted flush to the rotor. I currently have a set of Hayes HMX -1's that lose quite a bit of power if I don't keep the inner pad adjusted perfectly. Do Avid's suffer this same problem ?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
keen said:
I would think that the flexing rotor design of Avid's, Hayes, etc. would cause a loss of power and un-even pad wear if you are not on top of keeping the inner pad adjusted flush to the rotor. I currently have a set of Hayes HMX -1's that lose quite a bit of power if I don't keep the inner pad adjusted perfectly. Do Avid's suffer this same problem ?
What I saw when I used the Avid Mech's was the pads would wear sort of wedge shaped if the inner pad wasn't kept close to the rotor. Especially after a long downhill trail with lots of hard braking. I don't think power would be an issue, there's plenty there to begin with, so having the inner pad a bit far away won't be a problem.

Monte

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monte said:
What I saw when I used the Avid Mech's was the pads would wear sort of wedge shaped if the inner pad wasn't kept close to the rotor. Especially after a long downhill trail with lots of hard braking. I don't think power would be an issue, there's plenty there to begin with, so having the inner pad a bit far away won't be a problem.

Monte
Well my Hayes doesn't have much power to begin with so adjustments are critical. I am going to use the set of Avid's for FR / light DH and am concerned I will have to constantly adjust the pads.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
That's kinda the way...

keen said:
Well my Hayes doesn't have much power to begin with so adjustments are critical. I am going to use the set of Avid's for FR / light DH and am concerned I will have to constantly adjust the pads.
... Avids are. Fortunately, they are really easy to adjust. When I had them, I had to twiddle the goofy red knobs every other ride. Kinda drove me nuts, but Avids do work really well. For the dough, you can't beat 'em for ease of setup and braking power.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
True with Avids, too, but I hardly say they "suffer". There is not a big power drop off as the pads wear but it is not a big deal to keep in adjustment. Just one of the things, like trying my shoes, I check before rides. Most of the time the pads are fine. If not, it is literally a 5 second adjustment.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
keen said:
If you keep the inboard pad as close to the rotor as possible (without rub), there is very little rotor flexing. All the power comes from the inner pad and the feel comes from the outboard pad. You do need to adjust the pads periodically but it is done in less than two minutes. Plenty of power to be had with the Avid's.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yogreg said:
If you keep the inboard pad as close to the rotor as possible (without rub), there is very little rotor flexing. All the power comes from the inner pad and the feel comes from the outboard pad. You do need to adjust the pads periodically but it is done in less than two minutes. Plenty of power to be had with the Avid's.
Well running DH w/ my Hayes required adjustments after a couple of hard runs. Wonder if Avid's are going to be like this ? If so I will look into hydro's.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
keen said:
Well running DH w/ my Hayes required adjustments after a couple of hard runs. Wonder if Avid's are going to be like this ? If so I will look into hydro's.
I use The Avids with 203/185 rotors on my Coiler DL. I adjust the pads maybe once in a day of DH runs at the Pass and that is to tune the brakes to the conditions at the start of the day rather than pad wear during the day.

Also the Avids are MUCH easier and quicker to adjust than the Hayes. No tools required. Just turn the red knobs a click or two and go. No inaccurate cable barrel adjuster (avoid the BB5).

The pads can make a difference, too. I have the best results with EBC Gold or Galfer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts