Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted 2.6 WTB Vigilante Tires on my bike, and am looking at even bigger 2.8 options, as I think my bike would fit them. I want a big heavy meaty tire, think the tread of the Vigilante / Magic Mary / Assegai, with a heavy grippy casing.

I see of course that there is the 2.8 WTB Vigilante, in the high grip heavy casing that comes to 1417g, and that seems like the only option I have found so far. To be honest I would like even bigger tread (the blocks on my Magic Mary are bigger than those on the 2.6 Vigilante).

Does anybody have any similar tires to recommend? I saw that the nsmb review two years ago said that "This is a heavy tire. There isn't a similarly aggressive dual-ply 2.8" tire on the market, but plenty of riders find that 1354g number a bit shocking.", which seems to indicate that there are no competitors, but perhaps things have changed in the last two years?

And sadly my bike doesn't have clearance for 3.0 tires, so it does have to be 2.8 I think.

** I had to recreate this thread, because originally I forgot to mention that I am talking about 29in wheels, and my thread got stuck "Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly."

· This place needs an enema
17,704 Posts
Vigilante is it.

Even the "Light" version is burly.

Which is perhaps why they didn't sell well, and were discontinued.

Do you have room for wider than 2.8", but not taller?

I ask because the Dirt Wizard in 60tpi is pretty burly, is ~2.9" wide, but is much shorter (rim to cap) than every other 3" tire, and most 2.8's as well.

Terrene Cake Eater in Tough casing might be worth investigating. But it's neither as burly (casing) nor as grippy (tread) as Vigilante.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Vigilante is it.

Even the "Light" version is burly.

Which is perhaps why they didn't sell well, and were discontinued.

Do you have room for wider than 2.8", but not taller?

I ask because the Dirt Wizard in 60tpi is pretty burly, is ~2.9" wide, but is much shorter (rim to cap) than every other 3" tire, and most 2.8's as well.

Terrene Cake Eater in Tough casing might be worth investigating. But it's neither as burly (casing) nor as grippy (tread) as Vigilante.
Thanks for the response mikesee, and for confirming I guess that the Vigilante is the best fit it seems! (By the way, it was your blog that really got me thinking about the possibility of plus size tires and their benefits! I can relate to a lot of your thoughts on bikes, such bottom brackets being too low :)

What do you mean by the Vigilante not selling well and being discontinued? Are you referring to just the light casing, or all versions? (Concerning news as it does seem the Vigilante is quite unique).

I suppose I should not be surprised about it selling poorly if that is what happened, as I just bought 2 of the 2.6in light high grip ones on sale for 30% off for $51 each, so I suppose that wouldn't have happened if they didn't sell so well. But I would have thought the 2.8in version would have been quite popular, given that it has good reviews and doesn't have many competitors!

I am a bit confused that more burly grippy 2.6-2.8 tires aren't popular. Perhaps I am an anomaly because I don't ride to go fast or do impressive stunts on a bike, I just like exploring and riding around.

I am not sure about 2.9in wide but not too tall, I suppose I would probably try 2.8 first anyway to get a better idea of how everything fits. I am working with a bike that is technically rated for only 2.6, however has a decent amount of clearance with the Vigilante 2.6, so I am sort of eyeballing and guessing how everything would fit.

Thanks for mentioning the Terrene Cake Eater, defintely something interesting to consider, but yeah it does look like the tread blocks in the center are relatively shallow, which I have no need for, as I don't need fast rolling.

17,704 Posts
29 x 2.8" Vig was available in at least two configs up til 2020, but all are gone now.

Rumor is that WTB is bringing back one config for '22, but I'm not sure they've announced what, exactly, it is.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
29 x 2.8" Vig was available in at least two configs up til 2020, but all are gone now.

Rumor is that WTB is bringing back one config for '22, but I'm not sure they've announced what, exactly, it is.
Wow that is sad news. I guess perhaps I will have to learn to be content with the biggest of the 2.6in tires, if things trend in this direction. I do find it strange that 2.6 is so popular, seemingly almost the hottest tire size from my viewing, but 2.8 has so little interest.

· Registered
349 Posts
Vigilante 29x2.8 is incredible meaty tire - big volume but rather heavy. In 2020 they were available everywhere here in Europe - with a good discount - but now they all gone. Same for Trail Boss 29x2.6. I wish I have bought more than 1.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well WTB updated the Vigilante today, the 2.8 is now only available in 1 variant in 27.5 only. So 29+ is dead from WTB it seems, disappointing. Thank you mikesee for the accurate rumors and preparing me for this though!

17,704 Posts
Well WTB updated the Vigilante today, the 2.8 is now only available in 1 variant in 27.5 only. So 29+ is dead from WTB it seems, disappointing. Thank you mikesee for the accurate rumors and preparing me for this though!

Yep. A few days ago I checked on an order I placed months ago. Massive demand/delays meant that WTB had to minimize the number of sku's they have going forward, so they deleted the 29+ Vig.

If you can't find any of the existing ones out there, your next best bet is the 29 x 2.8" Cake Eater Tough.

17,704 Posts
Less effort climbing. It’s very possible I just need to get in better shape or switch to 29ers with narrower width tire.

The DHR is a pig for sure.

I'd go straight to a Bontrager XR3. Fast rolling center knobs, but good sized edge knobs to hook up when leaned.

I have these in stock. I so wish they existed in 29 x 3"...

· Registered
433 Posts
The DHR is a pig for sure.

I'd go straight to a Bontrager XR3. Fast rolling center knobs, but good sized edge knobs to hook up when leaned.

I have these in stock. I so wish they existed in 29 x 3"...
XR3 for front and rear? Also do I gain anything by going down to 2.6 or better off with 2.8 on my size wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
349 Posts
What will be a less aggressive faster rolling rear tire used with WTB Vigilante 29x2.8 in front?
Running double Vigilante is great for shoulder season trail riding but really punishing in pedaling department otherwise. I'm considering Coronado or Recon 29x2.8 (as soon as I could find where to get those). Also, I've heard that 29x2.6 Mezcal can be rather wide if put on i35/i40 rims.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.