Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought that you measured a bike stem from center to center. Center of HB clamp to center of stem bolt. However when I measure the stem on my mountain bike that way with my calipers it reads right at 95 mm. What gives?

It says on the side of the stem 25 degree rise and 110mm.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gmcttr said:
Are you measuring the distance labeled "Extension" on the Habanero diagram? The "Reach" is NOT what you measure.
I guess i am not smart enough to understand the chart. What i do know is my head angle is 71 degrees, the reach measures 88 mm from center to center. It is supposed to be a 25 degree rise stem and is marked 110mm.

How do i use that chart knowing the above? I have to admit ignorance. :blush:

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
^^that is how a stem is measured...it seems u are measuring the reach as per the diagram which will give u less than the actual length of your stem...just look in the upper left corner...u will see how u measure the stem by looking at the "extension"...u don;t need the rest of the chart in this case

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You got it now? In my first post I was asking if you got your figure of 95mm by measuring the reach instead of the length, then I specified how to measure the length of the stem. Nashbar was telling you the same thing as to measuring length. You kept measuring reach, thinking it was the length is all I can figure...or was it just understanding the difference between reach and length and it was margaritaman's analogy with the top tube that made that clearer? Just curious....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You got it now? In my first post I was asking if you got your figure of 95mm by measuring the reach instead of the length, then I specified how to measure the length of the stem. Nashbar was telling you the same thing as to measuring length. You kept measuring reach, thinking it was the length is all I can figure...or was it just understanding the difference between reach and length and it was margaritaman's analogy with the top tube that made that clearer? Just curious....
I was measuring reach. Plain and simple. Can't really tell you why, i suppose it is just my public school education. :D Honestly i was just putting my calipers just like theirs and that IS what it measures.

What i didn't account for was the severe rise in my stem. Or in other words i wasn't measuring from the side because the pic showed measuring from the top.

Mine is more like this one.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Nashbar's picture wouldn't work with your stem, as the calipers wouldn't be a good way to illustrate the measurement, probably why they used a low rise stem. Their written directions were clear, though. They closed F88 so just this comment: I went to public schools, glad I didn't go to a parochial school.

·
Registered
161 Posts
thought of something cool using simple geometry, couldn't we just take the reach measurement and multiply is by the cost of the angle since we know that the stem forms a triangle?

so we could do reach*cos( in degrees) = stem length

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Curious-George said:
thought of something cool using simple geometry, couldn't we just take the reach measurement and multiply is by the cost of the angle since we know that the stem forms a triangle?

so we could do reach*cos( in degrees) = stem length
Or just use the chart linked in post #2 to see all possibilities at once.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.