Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It makes no sense...

Why are we measuring oil in mm? I can't figure out why manufacturers don't tell us "how much" oil to use... rather than add some, measure it, add more, measure it, take some out, measure again... it's crazy.

Next time I change my 888 I'm going to measure the "amount" of oil and refill with the same amount.

Anyone know if an "oil volume" chart exists for Marzocchi forks? It would be very helpful.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Oil

Because it's difficult to ensure that all the oil has been drained from the fork.

Not a problem if you have completely pulled the fork apart, but a problem if you are just doing an oil change.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Some manufacturers do recommend by volume, my oldest Marzocchi's manual does it that way and I think a Manitou fork the manual spec'd volume too. Personally I don't have anything around that's good for measuring/pouring oil anyways (I'd probably use your method when I change the oil on that old Zoke). I have a device from Progressive that sucks off the excess at a chosen oil height for my newer Zokes, which spec by height.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
while it's true that the volume method doesn't accurately reflect the amount of oil that might stay behind when you drain the existing fork oil, the engineers surely could do testing to determine how much stays in (on average) and factor that into the volume for refill.

I agree completely with the VERY funny title of this thread. :D

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
MTBKauai said:
It makes no sense...

Why are we measuring oil in mm? I can't figure out why manufacturers don't tell us "how much" oil to use... rather than add some, measure it, add more, measure it, take some out, measure again... it's crazy.

Next time I change my 888 I'm going to measure the "amount" of oil and refill with the same amount.

Anyone know if an "oil volume" chart exists for Marzocchi forks? It would be very helpful.
As others have said....If you're just doing an oil change, it's difficult to get all the oil out. Some remains....and that will change the volume that you need to add.

You hit the solution perfectly...Measure the oil that you remove from each side and then replace with equal amounts. It's not the perfect solution, but it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

·
2,548 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
You hit the solution perfectly...Measure the oil that you remove from each side and then replace with equal amounts. It's not the perfect solution, but it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Of course, this assumes that you had the correct amount in there to begin with ;) :p :D .....J/K ....mostly

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Old Manitou's used to being spec'ed by volume and height. It was idiot-proof.

I don't know if they continue doing so...
No, now it's completely Unidot proof.

They give you a rough estimation of Xcm's-Xcm's from the top of the oil to to the top of the crown at the steer tube. Why not measure to the top of the leg, instead of having to draw an imaginary line across space to measure to? Sometimes they give you the measurement in tenths of inches i.e. 3.3"-3.7" WTF?! When was the last time you saw a ruler or tape measure in tenth's of inches? Unless your a civil engineer, but even they measure in tenths of feet, not inches, usually. Most are all in increments of 16 (which is worse, but seems to be the norm).

Why not just give it to us in weight? My Sherman takes .425 lbs of oil and not a gnat's ass more!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
mattsavage said:
No, now it's completely Unidot proof.

They give you a rough estimation of Xcm's-Xcm's from the top of the oil to to the top of the crown at the steer tube. Why not measure to the top of the leg, instead of having to draw an imaginary line across space to measure to? Sometimes they give you the measurement in tenths of inches i.e. 3.3"-3.7" WTF?! When was the last time you saw a ruler or tape measure in tenth's of inches? Unless your a civil engineer, but even they measure in tenths of feet, not inches, usually. Most are all in increments of 16 (which is worse, but seems to be the norm).

Why not just give it to us in weight? My Sherman takes .425 lbs of oil and not a gnat's ass more!
'Cos the average Fred has a tape but hardly a accurate scale. Besides, not all oils are the same density and in consequence not the same weight.

You're right.... I tend to overestimate people's ability to make measurements.... but them I'm a ME. Manitou "stupidly" supposes anyone know how to make simple metric to imperial conversion.... and BTW, some shop rulers have inches in tenths or hundreths or fraction....

Fractions of something... WTF??!!!

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
What's the BFD?

Zoke's website has the oil measurements in cc(ml)... It's not particularly accurate...and sometimes wildy over spec, but it's right there in print.

Just get a graduated cylinder, measure the printed ammount, pour it in the fork...watch it flow over the top of the stanchion and onto your shoe, then begin the trial and error process just like everyone else.:D

As for converting units...hello? internet? try this

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
That was a lame attempt at being humorous. Please do not regard it as anything more.

BTW I've found the hangovers are usually less severe when I don't drink from the same containers I use during the servicing. :D

that's a great site. That's where I found that I need 722.3 asses of gnat of oil in my fork
LOL!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The trapped oil still in the fork, and the possibility of air pockets in corners of an uncycled damper is probably the most likely explanation. There is another possibility on certain models of forks, though.

Different springs, often sitting in oil in open bath style forks, will displace different amounts of oil. Since it actually is the oil height, not necessarily volume, that affects the damping characteristics of a fork that relies on the trapped air pocket as a bottom out bumper (see most late model Marzocchi products), it only makes sense to measure the oil in terms of height, because you are actually measuring the volume of the air pocket when you do so. Maybe if they said something about filling your fork to the top, and then draining X number of mL out, that would be the best and most exact way of doing it, but I could see people who don't know what they're doing really mess that up, which is the same situation we have now.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
While I thorougly agree with and understand the original poster's frustration, what you posted here makes absolutely sense. Thanks for pointing that out :cool:

Kracker said:
The trapped oil still in the fork, and the possibility of air pockets in corners of an uncycled damper is probably the most likely explanation. There is another possibility on certain models of forks, though.

Different springs, often sitting in oil in open bath style forks, will displace different amounts of oil. Since it actually is the oil height, not necessarily volume, that affects the damping characteristics of a fork that relies on the trapped air pocket as a bottom out bumper (see most late model Marzocchi products), it only makes sense to measure the oil in terms of height, because you are actually measuring the volume of the air pocket when you do so. Maybe if they said something about filling your fork to the top, and then draining X number of mL out, that would be the best and most exact way of doing it, but I could see people who don't know what they're doing really mess that up, which is the same situation we have now.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Hello? There's an oil VOLUME chart on marzocchi's website.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
My fork is a 2003 MX Comp coil 105. The Zokes website only has a table that "shows the distance between the oil height and the top of the stanchion in the end stroke position (in mm.)" for the 2003 forks.

The oil volume charts of 2004 and 2005 are irrelevant to me.

Jm. said:
Hello? There's an oil VOLUME chart on marzocchi's website.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
BZ wins for best answer - lol :D

Bikezilla said:
Zoke's website has the oil measurements in cc(ml)... It's not particularly accurate...and sometimes wildy over spec, but it's right there in print.

Just get a graduated cylinder, measure the printed ammount, pour it in the fork...watch it flow over the top of the stanchion and onto your shoe, then begin the trial and error process just like everyone else.:D

As for converting units...hello? internet? try this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.