Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for something productive to do one long winter evening while watching a documentary on the Military Channel about the Flying Tigers. Well, that show provided me with the inspiration to grab the model paints & head downstairs to visit my new Monocog 29er. Here's the result...

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Computer keyboard Carbon

I wanted to accent that gusset area somehow (was going to paint the gusset orange). But this just looked like it would be more interesting. It was fun to do, took about 2 hours and livens up the poo brown color. :)

One of the guys has dubbed it the "Mudshark".

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
Looks Good!!

I saw a 29er with a very similar paint scheme up for auction on E-Bay about a month or so back. I think its a very original idea. I just wish I had the grapefruits to take paint to one of my bikes.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ratman said:
I saw a 29er with a very similar paint scheme up for auction on E-Bay about a month or so back. I think its a very original idea. I just wish I had the grapefruits to take paint to one of my bikes.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for the cudos!

This is a very crude hand painted job for a $500 bike. The Monocog screams for something to be added to it because the MC is a crude basic bike. I wouldn't take that same approach to my $2200 Giant Trance. :) Also, this probably wouldn't fit in with the On-One or Zion frames -- they look too classy.

There are other options besides painting. One of them would be to buy RC airplane (or car) decals and apply them to your frame. That would probably work well and look a bit less crude. Just make sure you add a clear coat spray to protect them after application.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I believe trek has a project one paint job that was like that of a WWII era fighter plane with the shark front. The rest of it was painted to look like the skin of the plane with rivets and panels and such. Pretty sweet, check out the trekbikes project one website, they have pics of it, it could give you more inspiration/ideas...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Original is on Ebay

Yes, that's right, it was on ebay. It was a very good deal too! $388+$50 shipping. It had an "upgraded" rigid fork, saddle, disc brakes and the custom WWII paint complete with "rust." Mind these are selling for $420-$500 retail new at local bike shops throughout the nation.

It's item # 120069499329, still have it saved. - Metro

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
illnacord said:
Yes, that's right, it was on ebay. It was a very good deal too! $388+$50 shipping. It had an "upgraded" rigid fork, saddle, disc brakes and the custom WWII paint complete with "rust."
Someone pointed that out to me after I posted my picture. He did a pretty nice job. I didn't do the rust, though -- figured that would come soon enough on a steel bike. :)

I just wanted something to dress the bike up and make it look different. That "Statin Brown" color is pretty uninspiring by itself.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Just opened this thread for the first time. What a cool paint job! Nice work.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry for the bad picture (of my road bike no less), but I got this idea from a WWII P-38 lightning with D-Day stipes. You can't really see the camo, but it's pretty much the same as my MC (see my gallery).
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks awesome! I love the paint job. I assume you used an airbrush.

It looks great -- very retro-military. Love the 3-tone camo. Now this paint job took guts to do to a road bike because the Monocog is a crude bike and my paint job looks, well, crude. Yours definitely has a classy and well finished look to it. Excellent job.

The P-38 was a great aircraft to be inspired by!

Joe

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks Joe!
Actually, it was easier for me to paint my road bike than it was to paint my Monocog. My road bike (LeMond) was ugly, and I like the finish Redline uses. I had so much fun doing the first camo job (road bike), that I had to do another.

My MC needs some graphics to break up the camo a little, and I love what you did with gusset area (perfect graphic for that area!), but I think I'm going to have to resist copying you since you did it already. Maybe I'll try some airbrushed symbols of people shot down, or some better D-Day stripes. Airplane Aircraft Military aircraft Aviation Aerospace engineering

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
51 Posts
KeylessChuck -

Would love to see you get the "Tiger Shark" art on your Camo Monocog - it would be very cool indeed. Not that it's not right now - but look at this Project One Trek paint scheme and see if it gives you any ideas. I like the "lines" and "rivets" to replicate where sheet metal is joined - very cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thats sick! I painted up a 'fridge that way in college...flat gray base coat, then a mouth just like yours that wrapped around the sides. Always filled with beer. I wish I could find a picture, the mouth was at least 2.5 feet tall!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.