Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Human Crayon
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove out to North Cheyenne Canyon to ride Buckhorn >> Jacks. Figured that the rain would have helped pack things a bit and if I got there early enough, it wouldn't be so bad...:nono:

I hit the trail around 730am and saw no one the whole way to the top. Once I crossed High Drive, I saw two people resting in the lot...I waved and just kept going. A few minutes later I ran into my first dirt bike, then a few more. Everything went good and courteous, no issues....then I got about 3/4 of the way down and literally ran into another.

We were both coming at a fair clip, so there is no question to fault...it just happened. We both came around a bend with a little bit of gravel on the trail and as soon as we saw each other, we just locked them up.

I must have been doing about 20 and by the time we hit, he was at a roll. Knowing there was no way out, I just hit right between his front tire and the bars...kinda at an angle. My bike stopped, obviously....I ended up flying into the guy in a bear hug, lol.

End result...got off fairly easy: fat lip w/cut, bruised knee, cuts on hand, bent rim (barely rideable back to the car), bent brake lever, bruised forearm and a big ol red mark across my forehead from my helmet. He was unscathed, all armored up. We both shook it off, shook hands and accepted the incident as an accident. No one left butt-hurt. I think his buddies were a bit bugged out and I know I rode away with a huge adrenaline rush.

Anyways, just take this story as a reminder to keep your eyes (and ears) open for those guys. If you end up hitting one, aim for the squishy human parts, they give!

Happy 4th.

·
Perpetual slow motion
480 Posts
Going down Jacks...that's the one thing I always listen for. A 200lb. rider on a 250lb. bike wins every time. Glad to hear neither party was hurt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah, you really gotta listen. Most the time it's crystal clear that a moto is coming. But there are a couple spots that depending of whether or not the guys are on the throttle or not, it can be hard to hear them until it's to late.

On a side note, I love racing the moto guys on the way down. Jack's is much more bike friendly then moto. I have yet to have a moto beat me on the way down, at least until the up hill sections, but I can normally catch 'em again before the bottom. Pretty funny when you pass one at speed while on your bicycle, LOL.

·
Human Crayon
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My problem was that I couldn't see the bike and the sound was a bit deceiving...it echos about a bit. oh well. I keep thinking about what I could have done differently, but nothing comes to mind. Was a pretty crazy encounter, for sure and it happened really fast. There wasn't much warning

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
sleestak said:
Drove out to North Cheyenne Canyon to ride Buckhorn >> Jacks. Figured that the rain would have helped pack things a bit and if I got there early enough, it wouldn't be so bad...:nono:

I hit the trail around 730am and saw no one the whole way to the top. Once I crossed High Drive, I saw two people resting in the lot...I waved and just kept going. A few minutes later I ran into my first dirt bike, then a few more. Everything went good and courteous, no issues....then I got about 3/4 of the way down and literally ran into another.

We were both coming at a fair clip, so there is no question to fault...it just happened. We both came around a bend with a little bit of gravel on the trail and as soon as we saw each other, we just locked them up.

I must have been doing about 20 and by the time we hit, he was at a roll. Knowing there was no way out, I just hit right between his front tire and the bars...kinda at an angle. My bike stopped, obviously....I ended up flying into the guy in a bear hug, lol.

End result...got off fairly easy: fat lip w/cut, bruised knee, cuts on hand, bent rim (barely rideable back to the car), bent brake lever, bruised forearm and a big ol red mark across my forehead from my helmet. He was unscathed, all armored up. We both shook it off, shook hands and accepted the incident as an accident. No one left butt-hurt. I think his buddies were a bit bugged out and I know I rode away with a huge adrenaline rush.

Anyways, just take this story as a reminder to keep your eyes (and ears) open for those guys. If you end up hitting one, aim for the squishy human parts, they give!

Happy 4th.
Been there, Done that! So I feel your pain. Only I was on another dirt bike. It wasn't pretty. The other guy had a compound fracture on his arm. He t-boned me right in front of my left boot. Had to 4 wheel him out and I rode his bike while another guy rode mine later.
Met him at the hospital and he was like, don't sweat it". It was an accident.
Talk about getting your bell rung... The impact was almost as bad as when about 6 weeks later I got flung off my bike and slammed into a large tree. Couple fractured ribs and a sprained hip. Yippeee!

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Man, glad you are "relatively" ok.
I don't recall what trail I was on down in Crested Butte in 1991, but our group was just beginning a slight climb, when the guy leading our group stopped us and told us to pull to the side, we could hear the approaching moto, which just appeared, in mid-air, as he launched off a small 6ft or so hill just in front of us, he landed, sketched out and laid it down, on the trail, right beside us.
The guy was so freaked out, his hand were shaking, he ran back up the little hill, waving and yelling to stop his friends, which he did.
They were all so apologetic and thankful that they did not hurt anyone.

Could have been bad if we had continued and had one of those guys launched into our group of 10 or so.

·
Shread Ready
1,294 Posts
Man that's pretty intense! Glad you weren't hurt and the bike isn't too bad. I took some spills this year (Plenty already) but haven't ran into anyone. Don't think I've ever rode a trail where Motorcyclist were riding. Glad your ok. :thumbsup:

·
Captains Log
84 Posts
Right on man, I like your attitude. Ive had some close calls myself on Cptn Jacks, I know exactly what you mean by the noises being deceptive, especialy when theres multiple motos on the hill. I dont mind sharing the hill with the moto guys, keeps it exciting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.