Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thought just occurred to my little brain- since I live in the land of cold very muddy winters (Seattle area)- do you all think studded tires would work well on our wet roots? Just to fill you in on what the riding is like around here our tires spend about 80% of their time on wet roots- and they are like ice! 100% unpredictable. Maybe by rolling studs I would be doing a service to my fellow bikers by chopping them up a bit, not to mention allowing me to stay on my bike and out of the bushes. Are they scary on rocks?? Thoughts? MTT :drumroll:

·
Registered
243 Posts
..or even better.

Studded-tires are last decade. Tires with integrated micro-chains are new-school.;)

On behalf of IMBA and trail crews everywhere :thumbsup:, I ask that you replace the root-divets. :eek:

Sorry, I don't have a real answer :confused: ... I've been hosing mud off of my rig for weeks and could probably grow something in dirt that's in my tub right now. Mostly I'm just ticked off at the weather :madman: and seeing how many of those emoticon things I can get into this :p I think I got five :D (make that six)

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
From my experience, studs on rocks does not give you very good traction. From what I have seen around here studs on roots will probably give you traction, but it also tears the roots apart. I suppose any root that is growing across a trail is probably toast eventually anyway, but probably best to not accelerate the break down process by riding studs.

I ride on wet roots quite a bit as well (though no where near 80%), 2.35 Kenda Nevegal Stick-E's with 30 PSI in them will slay those roots better than studded tires will.

John

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jisch said:
I ride on wet roots quite a bit as well (though no where near 80%), 2.35 Kenda Nevegal Stick-E's with 30 PSI in them will slay those roots better than studded tires will.

John
So is that tire designed for cold wet conditions? Maybe that is what I need for up here. I have been rolling the Panaracer Fire XC 2.1, and I like those tires; but is there something more gummy like a snow tire for a car? Is the Kenda Nevegal Stick-E designed for winter riding?

This is good- maybe it will get me off this computer and out riding in the cold months! MTT :thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the 2.35 Kenda Nevegal Stick-E's and a friend of mine has the Panaracer Fire XC 2.1. When we ride in wet conditions i don't really have a problem with traction roots mud what ever the kenda's seem to stick as for alex with the panaracer tires seems to slid around quite a bit. On dry they are about the same you can feel the difference in the rubber compound if you squeeze the tread.

·
All fat, all the time.
10,627 Posts
Yep I'm happy with the stick-e nevegal on back, but it really is pressure dependent.
I had a terrible ride (I bought a new floor pump & didn't realize the gauge was 10PSI off).
I thought I was 30psi but really I was closer to 40. Slipping all over the place, wet roots & rocks.
Use a better gauge to check & I usually run about 25 - 28psi (tubeless) & they hook up very well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shark said:
Yep I'm happy with the stick-e nevegal on back, but it really is pressure dependent.
I had a terrible ride (I bought a new floor pump & didn't realize the gauge was 10PSI off).
I thought I was 30psi but really I was closer to 40. Slipping all over the place, wet roots & rocks.
Use a better gauge to check & I usually run about 25 - 28psi (tubeless) & they hook up very well.
I learned that the hard way this fall after the first hard rain. Thought I could keep the tires around 45, after all I am very fast in the summer running that high. The swell-bo (swollen elbow) was the proof that 30 is the way to go on wet days..............MTT :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.