Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,359 Posts
more endos

I'm not sure the particular soundtrack works great with mountain biking in the woods. It fits well with more urban riding, though. To me, it didn't reflect the flow of riding on the trails, at least how it was presented in the video.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Not too bad, and actually pretty good for a second effort. I would cut about 1 second off the start and end of most of the clips to keep the action moving. Often a clip shows a static scene for a second or two before a rider enters the shot, and sometimes (though less often) the rider exits the scene and the clip just shows background with no action before the next cut. Chop ALL the empty stuff out. Every clip or sequence should leave the viewer wanting more, not less. Err on the side of cutting, not inclusion. The only other thing I would mention is the shots where the camera is obviously sitting on the ground the riders go by it, you could try angling the camera up a bit more so you get more than just the leaves in the foreground and the bike up to about mid-frame height.

Like I said, not bad, and good on you for soliciting real feedback. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
tscheezy said:
Not too bad, and actually pretty good for a second effort. I would cut about 1 second off the start and end of most of the clips to keep the action moving. Often a clip shows a static scene for a second or two before a rider enters the shot, and sometimes (though less often) the rider exits the scene and the clip just shows background with no action before the next cut. Chop ALL the empty stuff out. Every clip or sequence should leave the viewer wanting more, not less. Err on the side of cutting, not inclusion. The only other thing I would mention is the shots where the camera is obviously sitting on the ground the riders go by it, you could try angling the camera up a bit more so you get more than just the leaves in the foreground and the bike up to about mid-frame height.

Like I said, not bad, and good on you for soliciting real feedback. :)
All very good tips right there. I do like the few times where the riders take different lines and almost cross over, this kind of thing can look really good.

Good work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,

NateHawk: music-wise I just liked the song. I hadn't even thought about matching flowiness of song with flowiness of terrain. Awesome advice. We had about a dozen endos but only a couple were during filming, unfortunate to say the least

tscheezy: thanks for the advice, I'll try to add that in on the next one. I'm currently working on a winter/snow video. The riding is slower (obviously) what kind of angles should I use to compensate?

Thanks again for the replies. I figure I'll never get better if I don't have someone telling me what I'm messing up.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,359 Posts
swkshepherd said:
Thanks all,

NateHawk: music-wise I just liked the song. I hadn't even thought about matching flowiness of song with flowiness of terrain.
It's not necessarily about flowiness of the terrain - more about the flow of the video you make. The flow of the video will vary depending on the exact scenes you include. Your scenes in the woods in this vid are mostly less techy and more about just riding. That, to me, calls for different music than, say, hucking steps on campus.

Music choice is a difficult thing for me to pin down. When I see footage, I have a hard time choosing a good tune to run through my head when there's not one included. When the vid producer chooses good music, you just know. You can feel it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm having fun for sure. But my bike is not meant for the amount of abuse through which I put it. Haha, my head angle is 72 degrees and I've busted 2 headset spacers thus far. Time for my LBS to fix her up

·
since 4/10/2009
34,359 Posts
swkshepherd said:
I'm having fun for sure. But my bike is not meant for the amount of abuse through which I put it. Haha, my head angle is 72 degrees and I've busted 2 headset spacers thus far. Time for my LBS to fix her up
You've broken headset SPACERS? How does that happen? Those and topcaps are the only parts I've always thought just didn't break. You've broken me, now...the next person to post is probably going to tell me they broke a topcap once.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bike has stickers all over it that say it is not meant for aggressive trail riding. I'm consistently hitting 3-4 foot drops, hucking small gap jumps, skinnies etc. Plus I'm topping out my maxes on rides in the low 30s. That probably qualifies as aggressive. I think part of the issue might be my fork too. It retails much cheaper than most bikes' pedals.

I like to think I break the spacers cause I ride hard, but it's probably the bike...

http://www.dawescyclesusa.com/h1000.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.