Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Took my MCR out for it's 1st ride today. I had the feeling that the front end was to high. When pedaling out of the saddle, I felt as though I was standing almost straight up. I have an 80mm fork on it. I'm thinking the stack height on the headset is to big.

Front end felt a little vage in the corners, and the BB height felt to high as well.

I don;t have any experience with niners, maybe it's just a niner thing.

I had a KHS solo one before the mcr, it was a single track carving machine. I felt like I was in the bike, not on it, I feel like I am on the MCR. The bike doesn;t even come close to the solo one flickability.

Any advice from the more experienced niner owners out there??

Cheers.

Daniel

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hmm, maybe a personal preference thing, I have owned a Jet and now a MCR and both bikes were/are better handling and fit than any bike I have owned... Maybe you are riding a bike too big for you? My only guess I can come up with is that the sizing/ fit is off...?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't think it is the sizing. I'm on the shorter end recomended for the large, but I'm still in the range. I have long arms and legs and a short torso.

I don't feel stretched out at all. Running a 90mm stem -5degree rise.

Why did I buy the new bike??

4130 steel doesn't like me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Do you really need your seat that far back? Niner's slackish 73* STA usually means people have to go with a no setback post on them. I think it feels vague in the corners, because you don't have enough weight on the front end.

The short stem, combined with your very far back saddle position is contributing to this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. It's not that either. I set the seat back to try that out for the ride home. Seat was in the middle of the rails for the trails. My solo one had a 70mm stem that felt spot on.

I have gone over most of these suggestions already thats why I come back to the stack height. When I get up out of the saddle I feel like I am standing to straight up. I feel like I have to bend over more than usual. Again, why i am asking if this is a niner thing.

I watched a couple of niner video's last night. Riders do look to be sitting more upright on the vids.

Don;t get me wrong,. When I started to push the bike into the corners there was no probs with the steering. It held on really well, but, I just didn't feel as connected to the ground as with my other bikes. I'll get a shorter stack height headset and see how it goes.

Check out the current headset. Looks pretty chunky to me. It's a cheap one, wanted to look for a good price on a CK. Bought this beasty until I found what I was looking for.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keep the suggestions coming people. Much appreciated. I'm thinking it's either the stack height or the frame is to big. I have had frames this size before although in a 26er.

I'll get a new headset and post results. Otherwise, Anyone want a once ridden larger MCR frame??

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Is this your first 29er? They have taller front ends than 26" bikes... no avoiding that. But, if you have long legs, this shouldn't be a problem, as your seat height will be high enough.

There is only a 10mm difference in head tube length on a size large to a size medium. Honesty, the Niner head tube lengths are right where other 29er lengths are at. A lower stack height HS will help a little, but not much. Going from the tallest stack (CK at about 31.4mm) to the lowest I know of, Crank Bros Cobalt (at ~21mm) gets you a little more lower height, but not much.

You could always try a -10* stem like a Thomson though. That will get you 10mm lower than your current stem.

I still think you don't have enough weight on the front end. Why don't you give a no setback post, and a bit longer stem a try. (like a 100mm or 110mm).

I think it will make the bike behave a lot better for your, especially when climbing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. Not my 1st 29er, hence the concnern re the front end. The seatpost isn't a layback. I happen to have a Crank Bros headset in the tool box (needs some new bearings though) I'll give that a crack and see how it goes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
refreshinglygood said:
keep the suggestions coming people. Much appreciated. I'm thinking it's either the stack height or the frame is to big. I have had frames this size before although in a 26er.

I'll get a new headset and post results. Otherwise, Anyone want a once ridden larger MCR frame??
Looking at your photo, I would not say the frame is too big. Just think of how much exposed seatpost you'd have if you went with a smaller frame! Whoa!

Not sure if you've thought of this, but what about an inverted stem? Maybe -6 degrees or something?

I run my MCR (size large) with a 100mm stem, +6 degree. Rigid 470mm fork. I sometimes get the feeling that it is tall in front. So I think I am going with a 90mm 0 degree rise stem.

Are you using a flat bar? I guess I just don't think that the headse stack height will ultimately be substantial enough to solve your question.

How about saddle angle? Not fore/aft, but angle. My MCR LOVES the zero serback post I use. I have my Devo saddle set right in the middle, flat.

Hope this helps.:madman:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
all good advice. I have a 90mm-5degree stem on it at the moment. I do have riser bars on it (although very small rise) I think a flat bar is the go. I played around with the angle of the seat. That did make a differnce.

I'm thinking it's a number of things.

Keep em coming. I'm sure i'll get it dialed.

·
Registered
580 Posts
keep on dialing...

refreshinglygood said:
all good advice. I have a 90mm-5degree stem on it at the moment. I do have riser bars on it (although very small rise) I think a flat bar is the go. I played around with the angle of the seat. That did make a differnce.

I'm thinking it's a number of things.

Keep em coming. I'm sure i'll get it dialed.
Keep at it. The frame is fantasic on the trail. I love mine. But I admit, it took me probably a good 2 weeks to get the position dialed. I actually had the seat too far back. It was so frustrating that I thought of selling it.

But once I got it set, it has been SWEET ever since.

Now, if I can just get the paint to be more durable. :D

Good luck. And let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The Manitou forks have a 490 A-C and Niner posted numbers are generated from a 480A-C on a Fox fork (That's axle to crown length). SO your fork choice is raising your front end 10mm and slackening the head and seat angle by about half a degree.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the exact same feeling. Changing a seatpost has nothing to do with the feeling he's getting. I have a mcr, had an air 9, both with fox 100. I also have a Vassago with a 100 and the bike is better at everything, everything. It is smoother without the noodle feeling of mcr. You can't get the rear wheel to break loose when your standing. A much tighter front end with the shorter head tube. The compact frame makes for a stiffer bb imo. The longer stays, the more exposed seatpost truly give it a nicer ride. My terain is rocky, ledges 180 off camber turns. The wet-cat is all that an a bag o chips. I hope you can find one to test ride because you could sell your mcr for more than enough to get one I am not a niner basher,great bikes but when you take an inexpensive chance and you read the hype and the "wrong" geometry blows the others away And 3,4,5 friends sell there expensive bikes to buy a $500.00 or less frame. You are in the Vassago and on top of the Niner. It is not a seatpost or stem problem it is a geometry, problem. I am happy for anyone who loves there bike. You should but to say something is right or wrong without riding it on your trail.i hope you get it right. Getting a new bike should give new bike psyche . Trust your instincts Luke

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have ridden a friends MCR with a Reba and it felt the same way... However, my MCR has a Fox and it feels a totally different... However, I have recently converted my fox to 100mm of travel and flipped stem so I am no longer running a negative rise.... Prior to all that it felt much racier, but I am not a racer nor do I pretend to be one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.