Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just today i met a guy that said he had a mcmahon fork that he wanted to trade to me for one of my bonti forks. he said it had an aluminum crown with cro-mo fork tubes kinda like a bonti but that the legs did not taper. it has no decals but he's pretty sure its a mcmahon. anybody out there heard of this fork?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
vdubbusrider said:
just today i met a guy that said he had a mcmahon fork that he wanted to trade to me for one of my bonti forks. he said it had an aluminum crown with cro-mo fork tubes kinda like a bonti but that the legs did not taper. it has no decals but he's pretty sure its a mcmahon. anybody out there heard of this fork?
I am pretty sure MacMahon made some suspension forks that had an aluminum bolt crown, I believe they were made from 1992 or so until 1995. They had in any case the same crown dimensions as Manitous old forks, so some parts are interchangeable.
They also made a rigid BMX fork in the late 90's which had as I recall, a bolt crown but much thicker chrome-plated chromoly legs with all the offset in the dropouts.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'd advise passing on it

vdubbusrider said:
I have a McMahon road fork on a road fixed gear right now. Aluminum crown with titanium legs pressed and bonded into it. Reason it's on the fixer is the fixer doesn't go that fast, so if a leg pulls out AGAIN like one did a few years back when the fork was on my gofast road bike, I will not die. I reinstalled the leg using PC-7 exoxy, then drilled a hole in each to poprivet it to the crown for extra security. But I wouldn't trust it bombing any passes ever again.
Also had a McMahon suspension fork here years ago. It didn't break, nor did it work, using the ziptie method I measured travel at a little under one inch.
Also had 2 McMahon titanium seatposts here. One on my road bike broke at the welded on ear where the bolts go through, put me on my ass at speed. Came home, looked at the other one, which was on the front of my MTB tandem. It was cracked and would have failed soon. Gave them both back to Steve at Interbike, he didn't apologize and just seemed most interested in getting them stashed out of sight before his customers got wind of what was going on with the seatposts.
Bad rep for quality. Take your chances.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bulC said:
I have a McMahon road fork on a road fixed gear right now. Aluminum crown with titanium legs pressed and bonded into it. Reason it's on the fixer is the fixer doesn't go that fast, so if a leg pulls out AGAIN like one did a few years back when the fork was on my gofast road bike, I will not die. I reinstalled the leg using PC-7 exoxy, then drilled a hole in each to poprivet it to the crown for extra security. But I wouldn't trust it bombing any passes ever again.
Also had a McMahon suspension fork here years ago. It didn't break, nor did it work, using the ziptie method I measured travel at a little under one inch.
Also had 2 McMahon titanium seatposts here. One on my road bike broke at the welded on ear where the bolts go through, put me on my ass at speed. Came home, looked at the other one, which was on the front of my MTB tandem. It was cracked and would have failed soon. Gave them both back to Steve at Interbike, he didn't apologize and just seemed most interested in getting them stashed out of sight before his customers got wind of what was going on with the seatposts.
Bad rep for quality. Take your chances.
well, now i know it exists. i knew steves creations were shi*t. his suspension for nearly killed my a few years back when i was sponsored by him. same thing, no apologies! i sued his ass and found out that he's had numerous lawsuits and without knowing it me(the sponsored rider) was the test dummy even though the forks were already in production and being sold all over the country. we settled the lawsuit but in the eyes of the judicial system your injury gets a set settlement depending on how important that body part is. never mind the year out of work, helicopter ride, ending a good racing career, and with broken bones that took one whole year to mend back together. yeah, it was a really bad injury. i was never planning on riding the fork but was interested to know if it was worth more than the bontrager. i know the mcmahon steely danz cranks, and brakes get more money than they are worth on ebay. thanks for the pics and the info guys! burn in hell mcmahon!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hey VDub,
Nice to see you've joined the club. We should drop mr VanGorden a note with a link to this and we'd all be here.
Can't say for the McMahon's all I know is yes, what's left of the McMahon bits generally sells for quite a bit, compared to what you get. My Powerlink which needed a full set of new hardware, still cost me $650, plus the pact I had to make with the Devil to get it set up right. Easily my most overblown purchase yet. What I can say for sure is that a Bontrager Composite fork in good condition sells for $275-350, with the Chrome/BlackAlum model fetching the most response, the Smoke Chrome model felching somewhere in the middle, and the Chrome/silver pulling in the low end. The welded "race" models generally are a harder sell. I've bought and/or sold 6 of em and my last two will be buried with me, just in case the egyptians were right.
If it were me, I'm not so sure I'd consider it an even trade. You probably have the better fork.
I was actually offered $500 for a (lightly) used Big One Inch off a Yo I was selling for a friend, and the nitwit wouldn't let me part it out, so that may be worth a swap, but then I see they now go for a hundred or so, so who knows.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rumpfy said:
I've got a buddy with a Shocka 911 that I'm trying to buy off him...1" steer and all!
eric, heres where i should tell you the problem with the shaka. when you bottom out the fork the tire hits the crown. there is no bottom out stops on it! mcmahon never built the forks with one. thats what nearly broke me in two at 40mph.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Pete- Why didn't you just use a different brake on your Trimble? Why wouldn't a WTB Rollercam or IRD Rotary do the trick?
I have had my own bad experience with MacMahon's products, although mine was never a life or really even an injury-threatening experience.
I got a Decelerator cantilever for Christmas in 1995. It was my first CNC'd part, and I was pretty pumped. The thing looked cool, and actually worked great until one day the pivot sleeves got all sticky. I took the brake apart, and the pivot sleeves, which were made out of super-soft metal, were totally deformed and warped to the point that they wouldn't spin anymore. The titanium linear return springs were also so bent from the stress of trying to force the arms back open that their effective length was too short to reach the stop pins. The hex-shaped holders for the return springs were also made out of pot metal, and the arms themselves had bulges in them right at the spot where the brake pad was fastened.
The brakes lasted a total of about seven months. At the time, I had yet to hit my growth spurt and weighed well under 100lbs. It's a good thing Steve isn't around peddling his dangerous trash anymore.
Tim

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
hell, McMahon changed company names to MRC just because of all the lawsuits bankrupting the previous business entity.

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
This is very interesting to read.
However I want to know some more about that MRC brake that cost $650.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.