Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for anyone who is still riding or still has a McMahon (ridged).

Actually, I'm just looking to see how many on this list actually have one.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dag560 said:

Cheers
Dan
I think I was being a bit repetitious.

Sorry, it's been a long day.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i have a mid 80's one of a kind fillet brazed mcmahon that i'll be re-painting soon. somehow i lost the photo of the whole frame but here are bits and pieces of it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
dag560 said:

Cheers
Dan
Uh oh. Brace yourself. I hear thunder...

On a personal note, I have one, kind of. It got lost out in Nebraska. I'm not saying where, but after all these years, it's just sitting out in the open waiting for me to drive 14 hours and pick it up and drive away with it. Kinda weird...

·
Registered
779 Posts
MS, get you're finger out of the stink and haul you're little white booty over to nebraska!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Master Shake said:
Uh oh. Brace yourself. I hear thunder...

On a personal note, I have one, kind of. It got lost out in Nebraska. I'm not saying where, but after all these years, it's just sitting out in the open waiting for me to drive 14 hours and pick it up and drive away with it. Kinda weird...
Yeah, that is a bit odd...
I won't ask.

I have a mid 90's mountain frame.
I'll post pictures later.

I'm would like to see pictures of other mountain and road frames Mcmahon made.
So, post em if you got em.

Cheers,
Dan

G

·
both not mine but i like them alot! the front brake is set-up perfect in the meantime i think... the forks are really nice, steel crown and Ti legs.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Hmmz... can anyone provide me with some more pictures of that MRC brake??

I never knew it used that leverage thingy in the middle. I've been working on some designs for some 'ubrakes' based on the Roller/togglecamed WTB, but instead of a cam, I had a similar linkage between the arms, as these brakes have. Hmm, seems like Im reinventing the wheel here.. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeroen said:
Hmmz... can anyone provide me with some more pictures of that MRC brake??

I never knew it used that leverage thingy in the middle. I've been working on some designs for some 'ubrakes' based on the Roller/togglecamed WTB, but instead of a cam, I had a similar linkage between the arms, as these brakes have. Hmm, seems like Im reinventing the wheel here.. :(
Sure I'll take a few more shots for you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
he never made any ti frames in house, they were made by litespeed and sandvik at different times until he couldnt pay the bills for them. he made steel stuff in house early and glued ti and steel forks rigid together after that..had cnc'ed brakes, sus forks and other stuff made for him also. the last stuff he made was welded aluminum in house. where is he now???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tisingle said:
he never made any ti frames in house, they were made by litespeed and sandvik at different times until he couldnt pay the bills for them. he made steel stuff in house early and glued ti and steel forks rigid together after that..had cnc'ed brakes, sus forks and other stuff made for him also. the last stuff he made was welded aluminum in house. where is he now???
So, how can you tell who made the frame? (litespeed or sandvik)

Yeah that is a good question where is he now?

I've been trying to source some extra decals for my bike or at least get a good copy of an original set and I'll have some made at a decal shop. But I've had zero luck.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
oh...

just seen that pictures of mine already have been posted by carsten... :rolleyes:
damn slow connection...
the front brake has recently been replaced, because of better performance and cleaner look...

·
Registered
86 Posts
you can tell the difference by the dropouts. usually sandvik used the tapered bullets welded to the end of the chain and seatstays, litespeed used a curved piece of plate to cover the ends of the seat and chainstays. from what i can see in the pics here it looks like the later ones are and had the monostay. he was always south of santa barbara and north of ventura. his shop was in carpinteria beside the 101 through the 90s.

So, how can you tell who made the frame? (litespeed or sandvik)

Yeah that is a good question where is he now?

I've been trying to source some extra decals for my bike or at least get a good copy of an original set and I'll have some made at a decal shop. But I've had zero luck.

Cheers,
Dan[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
779 Posts
mcmahon did some crap work! i was sponsored by him for CX and he welded up a set of aluminum bikes for the team. he used no jig and absolutely nothing was lined up. brake posts were in funky positions and the rear triangle on all of the frames were noticbly jacked up. a real turd of a bike. that early 80's fillet brazed frame i have on the otherhand has wonderful workmanship. maybe someone else welded it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.