Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Monday Mrs. Lef-T (Dot) was kind enough to shuttle us (again!) to the upper end of the MRT. We started at the Santiam Wagon Road above Clear Lake, rode around the rough side of the lake and down to Paradise Campground, 24 miles, 6.5 hours and 20 log bridges later (we counted the bridges).
Lef-T at Clear Lake. The lake is the source of the McKenzie and is fed by springsin the lava flows.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Its been raining here for like 3 days straight so seeing sunny dry trails and nice riding locations makes me hurt.....

Great pictures and sure looks like you have nice trails - not technical though at all. :p

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Great memories

shiggy©®™ said:
Last Monday Mrs. Lef-T (Dot) was kind enough to shuttle us (again!) to the upper end of the MRT. We started at the Santiam Wagon Road above Clear Lake, rode around the rough side of the lake and down to Paradise Campground, 24 miles, 6.5 hours and 20 log bridges later (we counted the bridges).
Lef-T at Clear Lake. The lake is the source of the McKenzie and is fed by springsin the lava flows.
Shiggy - Your photos are giving me great, vivid flashbacks of my ride on the MRT in June with Sparty and Tim. (Unfortunately, my flashbacks also include clipping my 26.5" wide bars on a tree just before the reservoir and plunging OTB downhill about 20 feet!) Great photos and thanks for kicking in some memories for me!!

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
more than a year, already...

wow. teriffic pics, shiggy!

i can't believe more than a year has passed since i road the same epic ride at MRT. that first section (before you even have a chance to get your handling groove on!) is one of the most demanding ever. it is so unique, beautiful and unyielding. the hardest part is not knowing if the rock you are trying to ride over is stationary or loose! i still have a scar on my right ankle from where i tipped over and pinned my leg on some of the lava rock lining the trail after not getting around my fallen friend. we wound up in a heap, but it soon turned to laughter. the paved section of trail is mighty sketchy in places. felt like you could fall off the earth on some corners! technical as hell! the second half of the ride is some of the most rewarding, fun and scenic i have ever done.
now i live in asheville, nc and spend lots of time in one of the other most beautiful, challenging and rewarding spots. east coast roots and mud... yee-hawwwww!

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
My photos from McKenzie River

More huge thanks to Lef-T, Shiggy, Mrs.Lef-T aka Shuttle Goddess (again!!) for the personalized tour of another awesome Oregon trail...

This hole is where all the water comes from!

Lef-T on the lava rock

Impy on the asphalt section - Clear Lake in the background

Waterfall along the trail

View of the river

Nice log... pile?

Impy cruisin on the squishy trail

Shiggy & scenery

Sweet raised trail section

·
Registered
742 Posts
I really love the MRT

shiggy©®™ said:
My favorite bridge on the trail...

...and the creek it crosses.
I think the MRT is our finest trail, it has all the features of a great trail. It's extremely technical in the upper sections through the lava. I had to go into trials mode to clean many places, some stuff I don't have the nerve to try.

I rode the rigid Beast two speed with flat pedals, geared 36x20 and 24x20. The low gear was nice doing the trialsy stuff. Most of the trail was fast and requiered a taller gear. I ran a wtb motoraptor 2.4 up frt with 20 psi on rynos. I had a hutchinson Scorpion 2.0 on the rear with 25 psi. My usual technical preasure, I managed to pinch flat the rear trying to stay ahead of aosty.

My big frt tire rubbed my too narrow stock rigid fork all the way down. My chain slapped my stays like rattle can. That's the worst thing about two speeding, your chain slaps. Shiggy and Aosty rode real ss with quiet chains.

I still can't get used to the the awesome beauty of this country. The MRT has it all, clear water lakes, falls, pools, streams, bridges, 25 miles of rugged to buttery single track through old growth and ferns.

We wisely rode on Monday to avoid the hikers. This is a treasure of a trail. I don't ride it very often, that was the third time this season. I rarely ride it all in a day. I love to ride the upper section from Clear lake to Trail Bridge res. That way you see the best parts and ride the lava sections.

I really enjoy riding with Shiggy, he was too fast for me. His bike is very cool too. Just like the man, another northwet treasure. He has cool friends too, I enjoyed the company off Impy and Aosty as well. I really enjoy riding with people who love riding and like nature.

Attachments

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Wow, great photos of what looks like an awesome trail. Here I am drinking my morning cup of coffee and now thanks to you guys feeling very motivated to get out and ride. Granted the typical scenery around here isn't quite as epic :D

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Just getting around to looking at the trip pictures since I've just had time to take a breather. Been busy not riding much and getting ready for school to start and just thought I tell you that you all SUCK.

Actually, I'm not as edgy as I have been since I finally got my first ride in after 4 weeks of being off the bike.

george

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.