Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ;)

It was definitely nice. I wish the weather was a little better though. We only got about half way down from the top. Some how we ended up looping around Clear Lake on accident - and then riding back up the highway to were we started. No idea how that happened. When we finally got back on track, my friend broke his back derailleur off, maybe 2 miles past Blue Pool.

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts
CoreyVisto said:
No idea how that happened.
You're not the first to make that mistake. ;)

CoreyVisto said:
When we finally got back on track, my friend broke his back derailleur off, maybe 2 miles past Blue Pool.
That section of trail is like the Derailleur Bermuda Triangle.

gabrielle

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gabrielle said:
You're not the first to make that mistake. ;)

That section of trail is like the Derailleur Bermuda Triangle.

gabrielle
Haha yea, that area was quite rough. He actually didn't break it on the lava rocks which is a surprise..a branch or something got caught and ripped it off - the actual metal tabs/mounting area just cracked off. He was riding a brand new Raleigh Mojave 4.0. He also went caught some air on a little jump and landed hard on the seat, which bent it upwards. Haha, not sure what to say about that.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
milt k said:
Nice pics! Can't ever remember seeing those little water falls in Blue Pool before!
New feature the USFS put in this year, suppose to help tourism or something. You shoulda seen it early in the spring had a honest to god big time water fall when the snow started melting.

How's the riding up Washington way? Dan and Mike are still kicking my butt at the Horse's Trails.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Still lurking

jollybeggar said:
How's the riding up Washington way?
Hey Jolly! The riding is good. Good stuff to ride and not too far from home. The locals here have been great about showing me what's around here. In fact, just got back from a ride and am still smelly and mud covered as I type! Check out the WA forum, I still post carp now and then. Check out the Dungeness/Gold Cr. thread, I posted some pics from the ride we did on the 4th. Probably post todays pic's later on. Look for "Lower Big Quilcene".

Waiting to hear from the Coos Bay crowd about riding the MRT, and later, Waldo. I will forward the info to you. Would love to be able to jump in the car and get down that way but unlike the good ole days, I have to think how many days I have to work to pay for the gas, instead of hours! :mad:

jollybeggar said:
Dan and Mike are still kicking my butt at the Horse's Trails.
Ahh..the more things change, the more they stay the same!! :D

Milt

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
CoreyVisto said:
Thanks ;)

Some how we ended up looping around Clear Lake on accident - and then riding back up the highway to were we started. No idea how that happened.
Uhhh...yeah. The reason that you got lost is the same reason I got lost -- the trail markers
are flat out wrong in two spots (at least). Sure would be nice if someone with the authority
and capability rectified that.

The first spot of deception is waaaay back at the first fork beyond the first lava section.
The wooden sign on the tree clearly (and incorrectly) points you to the right and on to the
south end of the lake. But you're supposed to go left. BTW - we had a perfect record for
getting help from strangers at the lodge who all either had no idea where MRT actually ran
or were having a good time sending us on wild goose chases! Finally, another
shuttle group appeared, coming around the easy side of the lake and helped lead us to
the erroneously marked fork.

The next signage error is near the falls. After a futile search near these falls, I went back to
the last trail marker I saw and was baffled. I videoed this one. The sign is at the end of a
log bridge over the river - a "T" intersection. The sign points left and right and not
across the bridge. WFT,O? Well, we ventured across and sure as shap, there are fresh
knobby tracks. Woo hoo!

After that frustration, we were finally on our merry way.

:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.