Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently spent 10 days riding around central oregon, first on an organized tour with escape adventures (a quality outfit, btw) and then doing my own thing. i was lucky enough to hook up with 3 eugene locals for a couple of days of riding. they took me on the mckenzie river trail, which i think was my favorite ride of the whole trip. here's a helmet cam from that ride. it's a bit long at 18 minutes, but is cut up into 3 distinct sections, so you can always fast forward to the next.

the first section is the longest and is mostly technical riding through lava fields
the second section is fast with lots of exposure and starts around 9:30
the final section is smooth and flowy and starts around 12:40

you'll get a bit better picture if you want to download and use the google video player

i have 6 more hours of video, so hopefully i'll have more to post as i can find the time for editing.

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
Great video, and to think I graduated HS just south of that trail. Of course running was my passion then. Hopefully I'll be able to hook up w/ the locals on my next visit.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice vid and cool trail. Twists quite a bit. I couldn't help but think with all of those great logs around that there were some great opportunities for log rollers, log crossings, small jumps over logs that could be integrated into it.

·
rip the line
299 Posts
rode in august

A bunch of us did 8 days in oregon also. Finished the week with the Mckenzie, But i thought the umpqua river was even better. Did you also ride it and do u agree or disagree?

·
Jump in
94 Posts
Damn, business keeps taking me out to Umpqua/McKenzie River area (from Atlanta) Unfortunately no bike. I'll have to make it a point to take a couple of extra days and hit the trails out there. Dirt Rag had a photo of (I think) the McKenzie River trail in this months Rider's Eye I must admit to a little trail lust when I saw it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
choice was betweeen mckenzie river and umpqua and went for mckenzie river and don't regret the choice. i drove along the umpqua on the way back from crater lake and it looked like there had been a bunch of landslides along the trail.

the lava fields at mckenzie river was the most technical trail i rode out of 9 days. i don't know why none of those fallen trees get built up, but i would guess that's it's because the trails are on forest service land and they won't allow it?

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
who needs log rides when you have lava?

moral of this story is some trails need to be appreciated on thier own merits.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Very cool vid...McKenzie River trail has now been added to the list of trails I must ride before death.:D

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
who needs log rides when you have lava?

moral of this story is some trails need to be appreciated on thier own merits.
Good point. I've been on a bit of a log crossing/ride/jump bender lately. :) Didn't mean to suggest the trail wasn't sweet. The more I see of Oregon trails the more I think a trip out there would be a blast.

·
gmoney was gmoneybike
304 Posts
E-f-f-e-c-t

ebxtreme said:
Way to start it off with a little Eric B and Rakim!! Follow the Leader.....a great album and an appropriate song for this purpose.

Nice vid! :thumbsup:
EBX
Excellent video, looked like a nice day. Ebxtreme beat me to the punch but a little Rakim is always sooo choice...More hip hop mtb videos please.

·
Mtb Extraordinaire
296 Posts
Great F'ing Trail. Mckenzie is a top 5 trail all time for me and ive done alot alot of riding around the entire country.
Also hit up N. Umpqua trail another top 5er only an hour and half away.

This east coaster loves Northwest riding !!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
That wasmy photo in the Rider's Eye of my hubby on the Upqua River Trail last October. It is such an amazing trail and fun place to ride! But then again so is McKenzie River Trail.
Here are some other photos for you - and hey, by the way, come back to Bend y'all and come ride. I am one of the new owners of Cog Wild, the local mountain bike tour company. Lots of cool stuff coming up next season!!

Attachments

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
great movie. i loved the choice in songs and artist. nice!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts