Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip up to the McKensie River in Oregon. Does anyone know who to contact up there for a shuttle to the top? Also...any recommendations for other rides in the area, or along Hwy 5 on the way back to California?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
mstaples said:
Also...any recommendations for other rides in the area, or along Hwy 5 on the way back to California?
Wow, nice trip. Whiskytown looks fun. Shasta does too. Chico has great riding. Don't know when your going, but, I would imagine in the summer these places could get kinda hot. You can information on these places here on the board or on the net.

·
Registered
18,594 Posts
mstaples said:
I'm planning a trip up to the McKensie River in Oregon. Does anyone know who to contact up there for a shuttle to the top? Also...any recommendations for other rides in the area, or along Hwy 5 on the way back to California?
Cogwild out of Bend runs shuttles. I don't think they're a year-round operation though, so it'll depend upon when you're coming.

http://www.cogwild.com/

·
Registered
18,594 Posts
@dam said:
Hey Nat- Do you know many miles is it to ride down the trail, and then back up on the road?
Well, let's see...the trail itself is about 25 miles from end-to-end, so I'm guessing the highway back up would be about 20 miles or so. I'd have a hard time making that whole loop though. The complete trail takes about 4 or 5 hours to ride, and I'd be too baked to climb back to the top.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imjps said:
Wow, nice trip. Whiskytown looks fun. Shasta does too. Chico has great riding. Don't know when your going, but, I would imagine in the summer these places could get kinda hot. You can information on these places here on the board or on the net.
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check em out. I'm headed off to Moab in a couple of weeks, then a few local places (Parrots' Ferry), before Oregon. Then trying to sandwich in a couple of Downiville trips before Northstar opens.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
When we rode it in 03 we ran into a group that does it out and back. Start from the bottom, ride to the resort on the lake, have lunch, then ride back down.

I don't think I'd have the steam to do that though.

I seem to recall the MRT is 27 miles one way, if you start at the first place where the trail crosses a gravel road (before the lava flows).

We had 2 vehicles so were able to do the shuttle ourselves.

As for other rides in the area, check out Bend, but it is something like 2 hrs away.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Santiam Wagon Trail

mstaples said:
Not sure about who to contact about shuttles. Ride to the top and ride down. Make a day of it. If you want a better, less travelled trail try the Santiam Wagon Trail. It is much the same but less traveled. Start at the Mountian House Store on US Hwy 20. There are also some real nice rides west of I-5 along the Rogue River. You could also hit the Redwoods. Amazing to ride in the Redwoods. Have fun!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
even riding down has

1.100 feet of elevation (ride down a ravine, cross river, ride up other side) despite an overall downward slope.

Soaking in the hot springs at Bellknap was nice. The scenery was simply out of this world, it's hard to look at the trail and the passing beauty.

1 way down was all I could manage on my FR Bullit. Jim

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
North Umqua

mstaples said:
Research the North Umqua River trail. I forget directions to the trail paralleling a small highway off I-5 near Grants Pass. It's very spectacular with waterfalls you ride through up higher. Fun roller coaster twistys. A must ride on an Oregon trip.

For McKensie you can ride the wide sholder up the highway or ride up and back from the lower section from the ranger station or trail head not far below, but you'd be carrying your bike a lot up the upper lava flow section.

- ray

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
As others pointed out, it's not really a downhill shuttle kind of ride, there's climbing in each direction, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to ride parts of the highway, there's no shoulder in stretches and lots of tourists in big rv's. It's easier to go out and back on the trail IMO; I started at west end and went upriver and back. It was a long ride more than it was a hard ride, except for a couple spots in the lava, where it works ya (some may want to walk parts). It's McKenzie, btw.

I also highly recommend the North Umpqua River, some sections are better than others but I enjoyed the camping there, too (and there's good fishing, too). Coming thru Northern California (am sure there's more in Oregon I don't know about, too) on I-5 there's good riding in the Yreka, Shasta and Redding areas but watch your summer heat thing in Redding (go get a sample of Whiskeytown on April 30 if you can, by checking out the Shasta Lemurian Classic race).

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
OregonXC said:
... a better, less travelled trail try the Santiam Wagon Trail. It is much the same but less traveled. Start at the Mountian House Store on US Hwy 20. ...!
I've done the top half of that ride...7-Horse Camp to Tombstne Pass--didn't think it was that great. Definitely less travelled, saw only one hiker on a summer Sunday. Scenery doesn't compare to McKenzie. On the other hand, you can bomb full speed down the trail without worrying about other bikers and hikers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.