1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea is simple; Connect the top of Bell to the top of Sunrise Trail

This map is a google terrain + photoshop special, but you get the idea:

General Design/Layout Concept:

Western Trail and Easten Trail (loop together)
The trail(s) connect the top of Bell Pass to Sunrise Pass
Undulate between 3000 and 3400 feet; follow the contours for the most part
Amazing views from the ridgeline!
Follow IMBA trail guidelines?
Entire trail would fall in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve

thoughts?

CR

·
1,472 Posts
love the idea. However, reality is a *****.

The conservancy has their own idea of what trails should be there - you might want to take a look: http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/preserve/trailsplan. In order to do this, you'd have to get your plan approved by them. Having worked on getting new trails built in a local park before, I can tell you this is a long and frustrating process. These folks are usually slow to accept new ideas and there are always those who are against it.

Then there is the whole funding aspect. What you propose is some pretty serious trailbuilding. Pretty sure parts of it would require more than weekend volunteer work. Who would pay for that?

But, man, I do love the idea.

While we are wishing - I'd also like to see an alternate way down from the top of sunrise that hooks up to Sonoran without going through that neighborhood. It would certainly have less foot traffic and I'm sure the locals would appreciate less dirtbags riding down their street.

·
1,472 Posts
Cato said:
The MSC and the Sonoran Conservancy of Fountain Hills are both looking at a future trail that connects Sunrise pass to the jeep road that connects to the Sonoran trail. However this probably won't happen tomorrow: http://www.fh.az.gov/Data/Sites/2/media/mmpc/agendas/2010/120710a.pdf
That's excellent. My favorite part is "APPROVED WITHOUT THE AMENDMENT TO ALLOW HORSES".

Hopefully they'll build this trail a little more sustainably than the East End trail. And hopefully they'll build it within my lifetime.

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
arctic slalom said:
The idea is simple; Connect the top of Bell to the top of Sunrise Trail

This map is a google terrain + photoshop special, but you get the idea:

General Design/Layout Concept:

Western Trail and Easten Trail (loop together)
The trail(s) connect the top of Bell Pass to Sunrise Pass
Undulate between 3000 and 3400 feet; follow the contours for the most part
Amazing views from the ridgeline!
Follow IMBA trail guidelines?
Entire trail would fall in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve

thoughts?

CR
Love it. Make it so. :thumbsup:

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
azdog said:
Really, why? Challenging yes, but trails should be.
True, but I guess it depends on what kind of challenge you like. I personally enjoy a trail that is rideable, maybe not by 100% of the riders, but at least an attainable goal. I would venture that most humans don't clean the Sonoran trail from south to north due to the steep, sharp, and loose uphill switchbacks it has. If no one can practically do it, then I think it's safe to say it wasn't designed for bikes.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
its a neat idea, that will probably never happen. To be honest I'd be much more interested in seeing some new style of trails in the McDs - more techy or with jumps etc. The McDs are a lot of fun but mostly all the same - steep, rocky XC..

i have heard mostly nothing about any "unofficial" techy, dj, FR stuff in the area. If you know of anything, please PM me.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,339 Posts
Raybum said:
True, but I guess it depends on what kind of challenge you like. I personally enjoy a trail that is rideable, maybe not by 100% of the riders, but at least an attainable goal. I would venture that most humans don't clean the Sonoran trail from south to north due to the steep, sharp, and loose uphill switchbacks it has. If no one can practically do it, then I think it's safe to say it wasn't designed for bikes.
True.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been thinking about this trail since I moved from MN last June.

I've moving back to North Dakota in 4 months....so I thought I better at least put a little graphic together to float the idea.

It's one of those dreamy, big picture, warm and fuzzy "what-if" kinda things.

I'm not sure what it would take to do this....as a long time IMBA member, trail builder and avid trail rider (along with my professional experiences presenting/planning ideas to City/County Councils) I know it would take some serious time.

Approval by 2015, construction by 2020?

a few more thoughts:

-design and construct the trail to not leave a visual "SCAR" on the landscape
-the side slopes (off camber) around the radio towers is FOR REAL.
-If constructed, this trail would be VERY popular.
-Hiking this (as a loop) would take all day, not?

I really, really like the section of trail at the top of Bell. As you head west you just float up there on that ridge and it's awesome.....but it last about two minutes. This (proposed) trail would basically be a 10-mile loop of this riding experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.