Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of taking a ride to check out the McDowell Competitive track - but was wondering how appropriate for non-competitve/not-training-for-race type riders?

I would consider myself intermediate, my 12 year old a "upper" beginner - would we get crushed out there by other riders? I would obviously avoid the weekends - maybe a mid-afternoon weekday to try for lower traffic?

Anyone very familiar with the environment/riders out there that could offer opinion? The faster flowing trails sound great, but don't want to have it spoiled by constantly being moved to the side by others (bad for us AND them).
Thx.

·
Need more cowbell
938 Posts
Stick to the "sport loop" and you will be fine. I've taken many beginners out there and had some friends take their kids as well on that loop. It's one direction and plenty of room for passing. Bonus for the kids is the pump track in the parking lot. Week day afternoons are usually pretty slow out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Whiskers - we'll plan for a weekday. There is a small charge to get in, right? Per person, per car?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Anyone very familiar with the environment/riders out there that could offer opinion?
The competitive loops are low traffic. You can go to McDowell Mountain Park on the busiest weekend and walk around the competitive loops, and no one will pass you. The only time you will see anyone on the competitive loops is when there is a demo going on--and even then you'll wonder where everyone is.

I would consider myself intermediate
There is one step up on the Long loop, and there is one drop at the beginning of the Tech loop that may be challenging.

·
Weakened Warrior
398 Posts
When my son was about 12 the Sport Loop was his favorite ride. We usually rode it two or three times when we went there.

The drops on the Technical Loop and the step on the Long Loop now have easier by-pass routes you can choose, but the Sport Loop is really best for beginners.

·
EDR
10,710 Posts
great place to learn. not 'competitive' or too techie at all. just a few spots...dismount as needed. Don't worry about anyone else, the track belongs us all. (it's never been busy the times I've been out there, I think Hawes gets more trafffic)

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
I went out there for the first time in a number of months last weekend with an out-of-towner because it's a great place to acclimate people not used to riding in the desert. Don't worry about the 'competitive' title. I think it's named that way more for the occasional races but nothing 'competitive' on a normal day.

It was nice to see the ride around options on the few technical bits. I always hated it when there was a ramp built up at the 'step' as this was pretty much the only somewhat challenging section on the long loop. Plus the ride around on the drop on the tech loop was nice so that I could easily ride back up and do it again...weeeeee!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.