Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Just roll it......
7,619 Posts
Crikies Lee....

That sounds frickin' insane, but fun. Great writeup!!

I'm heading to the interior with my gal who is a good biker, but that would be the quickest way to end our relationship. ;) Getting lost to her doesn't have nearly the "adventure" appeal that it has to me....not to mention the fact that anything beyond 30 miles would get me in hot water....

From what I've been reading, it sounds like Kelowna has a ton of great trails!!

Chers,
EB

· Registered
3,729 Posts
i'm too lazy to look up the conversion to feet and mph..... til then i just space off at the graph and go "ooh pretty colors..."
*edit* oh i now see 6500 feet, yikes that's a monster, no thanks.....

· Registered
40 Posts
The lazier way...

Great write up, LeeL. McDougal Rim is one of my favourite old-school trails in the valley.

That was a nasty route you took. The first time I was up there I did the same thing (probably following the same bad directions), but it was raining most of the time, and I eventually gave up and came back down the logging roads the way I had come. Very disappointing after climbing for what seemed like hours.

There is an "easier" way. First of all, drive up there to save the grief of a long road ride up a congested highway. Head west on Bartley Road from Hwy 97 between Westbank and the lake -- the road turns to gravel near the trailhead, and you should park at the cattleguard parking lot, which is where the singletrack descent spits out.

Gear up and continue (except on your bike now) west on the gravel logging road. You actually go downhill slightly at first, then flat/slight climb for maybe a kilometer or so with the creek on your left. Look for the first gravel road/trail going steeply up on your right and take it.

Most of this climb is rideable, but it's so steep and relentless that it will involve some pushing. Figure on spending close to an hour or so grunting up this beast (maybe less if you're in decent shape). It is worth it. Eventually you arrive at a T-junction with another logging road that goes to your right or left. If you're really tired or out of time, go right (description continues below -- skip one paragraph).

If you want to keep going uphill from the T-junction, go left for another half hour of climbing until you get to a small alpine lake. Look for singletrack descending to your right and take it down to the main lookout point (overlooking the city and the lake for miles -- you'll know it). That descent from the alpine lake to the lookout is awesome -- tight, rooty, rocky singletrack with some great faster sections.

Backing up a bit...if you reached the T-junction out of gas, go right instead of climbing left. Within a hundred metres or so, you'll see singetrack descending on your right. That's where you'll be going down, but don't dive in yet -- you'll want to see the lookout point first. Go straight ahead along the mostly flat logging road for maybe a half-mile or so, until the two-track dwindles into singletrack. Keep an eye out for the view opening up on your right -- a great spot for a picnic.

Once you've rested up at the lookout (no matter how you arrived there), head south on the flat two-track for a half-mile or so until you see the singletrack descending on the left. You'll hit a little bridge almost right away, and then a very short climb around a knoll...then it's all fast, swooping, rocky downhill singletrack right back to your car. It seems to go on forever.

...ebxtreme, I'd be happy to join you and your partner for this one when you guys are up here. Nothing hardcore about it (except the climb, I guess), no stunts, but it's classic mountain trail riding.

· Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
headspacej said:
Great write up, LeeL. McDougal Rim is one of my favourite old-school trails in the valley.
Thanks! I was in the headspace to explore so I didn't mind it that much. I would've been seriously pissed if I couldn't find the Hayman section but I now know the FSR sections well and got to bag some summits so it was a good use of a nice day. I'd love to hook up next time I'm in town. email me at [email protected]!

· Registered
40 Posts
Trail instructions -- revised

I did this ride on the weekend again and it's really amazing. I realized that while my description probably wouldn't get anyone as lost as LeeL was on his epic ride, it might be a bit confusing in places. I can't seem to edit the original post now, so I'll just put the changes below in bold.
headspacej said:
First of all, drive up there to save the grief of a long road ride up a congested highway. Head west on Bartley Road from Hwy 97 between Westbank and the lake -- the road turns to gravel a couple of miles before the trailhead, and you should park at the cattleguard parking lot, which is where the final singletrack descent spits out.

Gear up and continue (except on your bike now) west on the gravel logging road. You actually go downhill slightly at first, then flat/slight climb for maybe a kilometer or so with the creek on your left. Look for the first gravel road/trail going steeply up on your right and take it.

Most of this climb is rideable, but it's so steep and relentless that it will involve some pushing. Figure on spending close to an hour or so grunting up this beast (maybe less if you're in decent shape). It is worth it. Eventually you arrive at a wishbone-shaped junction with another logging road...you can go straight/right or back/left. If you're really tired or out of time, go right (description continues below -- skip one paragraph).

If you want to keep going uphill from the wishbone junction, go left for 40 more minutes of easier climbing until you get to a small alpine lake. Ride right around the backside (west, I believe) of the lake, staying close to the water until your only option is to turn north and away from the water. Follow that ATV trail for about 10 minutes and look for singletrack descending to your right and take it down to the main lookout point (overlooking the city and the lake for miles -- you'll know it). That descent from the alpine lake to the lookout is awesome -- tight, rooty, rocky singletrack with some great faster sections.

Backing up a bit...if you reached the wishbone junction out of gas, go right instead of climbing left. Within a hundred metres or so, you'll see singetrack descending on your right. That's where you'll be going down, but don't dive in yet -- you'll want to see the lookout point first. Go straight ahead along the mostly flat logging road for maybe a half-mile or so, until the two-track starts dwindling down into singletrack. Keep an eye out for the views opening up on your right -- great spots for a picnic.

Once you've rested up at the lookout (no matter how you arrived there), head south on the flat two-track for a half-mile or so until you see the singletrack descending on the left. You'll hit a little bridge almost right away, and then a very short climb around a knoll...then it's all fast, swooping, rocky downhill singletrack right back to your car. It seems to go on forever.
Riding it on Friday, I found that the climb was more brutal than I had remembered it, especially in the heat, and the descent was even more fun that I recalled, even in loose, dry conditions. It's outstanding. There was a forest fire in the area the day after our ride, so I'm hoping it wasn't damaged -- it sounded like the fire was further down near Rose Valley reservoir, which you look down on from the rim.

· Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went from my friend's house close to KLO and Benvoulin to the Crawford trails. Climbed up the Lost Lake Loop to KVR (1180m) - about 800m of ascending. I came out at the Lost Lake trail - KVR intersection then about 1km east of that intersection I went into another trail. I don't know the name of that trail but it was steep enough that I dropped my seat an inch; not too rooty but what roots there were had nice slick sheen. There were some superb rock faces on that trail too. That trail then intersects the Lost Lake trail and carries on down the mountain to Captain Savage (920m) - Lookout Trail - Racer Loop - Pink Highway.

Then I explored the trails above the Upper Benches (about the 750m mark or so) and had a great time. Conditions were superb - cold at the KVR - but luckily I brought extra clothes and gloves as everything got a little wet from the dew and rain on trees.

Ride was about 48km; finished with 1050m of climbing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.