Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 190 x 50 Rockshox Monarch RL on a 29 inch bike. I'm 250 lbs and contemplating putting a 200 x 56 McCleod on my bike in it's place. I have the room in the suspension for the added .39 inches/10 mm eye to eye and think the extra .23/6mm of travel will fit as well. Thoughts? Will it work?

·
Registered
513 Posts
This doesn't read like a question about the McLeod per se, you're asking about long-shocking your bike. Depending on your frame, you might find a discussion of long-shocking it somewhere on the forum, as results can vary. If you're asking about the shock itself, in my limited experience it's a great shock for the price, very simple but effective on the fly adjustments. I'm no Clyde (so why am I answering this question), but performs great for me. And fwiw, I long-shocked my bike with it too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S usspect;14138803 said:
This doesn't read like a question about the McLeod per se, you're asking about long-shocking your bike. Depending on your frame, you might find a discussion of long-shocking it somewhere on the forum, as results can vary. If you're asking about the shock itself, in my limited experience it's a great shock for the price, very simple but effective on the fly adjustments. I'm no Clyde (so why am I answering this question), but performs great for me. And fwiw, I long-shocked my bike with it too.
Yeah, I edited the post some- I guess I was asking if it would work. Thanks for the input about long shocking. I guess I was thinking that it is only a little longer and may get the bottom bracket up some too. Maybe stop some pedal strikes? How far can one go long shocking? Would/could a 216 x 63 work coming from 190 x 50?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah, I edited the post some- I guess I was asking if it would work. Thanks for the input about long shocking. I guess I was thinking that it is only a little longer and may get the bottom bracket up some too. Maybe stop some pedal strikes? How far can one go long shocking? Would/could a 216 x 63 work coming from 190 x 50?
No idea how far you can go, it's specific to your frame. I only went from 184x44 to 190x50 on mine, and other than needing to file down a hidden front derailleur cable stop it worked very well. Other than when it's sitting in my garage (static) or when the suspension actually bottoms out, it rides within the same range of motion that it did with the stock shock.

Typically long-shocking will lift the rear end to some degree, but depending how you set up sag it may or may not make a difference in pedal strikes. All things (like sag) being equal, yes it will lift your bottom bracket. And steepen your head angle.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
As for the shock it self...I have one...I love it. Rides great even under my 300# ass. No idea though for your specific bike application.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Generally a bad idea to mess around w/ different shock lengths - screws up geometry. About as far as length changes go offset bushings are common but were are talking a few mm's only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.