Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Chitina and McCarthy in a couple of weeks-can anyone give me a report on the Glacier View campground? Are some campsites better than others, have better views, etc. I'm going to be car camping with 9x9 tent that attaches to rear of rig. Thanks.:)

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Great idea

Redcoat said:
I'm going to be car camping with 9x9 tent that attaches to rear of rig. Thanks.:)
Is that the model that you heat by running the engine? Sweet!

I have camped at that campground on several occasions. It seems they all are about the same as far as the view, some are pretty close to the river so less bugs but more noise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tent Heater

That's the one! I always pass out before I can ride, but I save money on beer. Thanks for the campground info, Wildfire. Anyone happen to know how the road from Chitina to Mc Carthy is these days? Last time I went, eight years ago, the road really sucked. Better than Princess tours paving it, though.

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Much Better

The Mcarthy road has improved a lot over the past 3-4 years. It's not paved, but that is to the advantage of the folks who like Mcarthy the way it is. I make at least one trip out there every summer and over the past few years they have stepped up the road maintenance.
Also, some land owner on the chitna side of the Kennecott River built a bridge big enough to drive cars over, so the crappy tourist coefficient has sky rocketed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.