Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, did this weekend's McCall area riding fall by the wayside? FWIW- I'm going to attempt an early morning climb of Brundage on Sat a.m. for my annual ride of Elk Trail before the lift-served masses tear it apart. I can maybe get a pass for one other ride that weekend. Anyone camping/riding/drinking in the area?

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
I think flip and RRB will be in McCall this weekend and I would bet my bottom dollar they'll have their bikes and will be riding them one or all days. I will definitely be in McCall the weekend of July 15 - 16.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
not this weekend, but I"m planning on coming down for the Folk Fest in a few weeks, anyone up for a ride or two then?
I am hoping to be back on the bike by then... I was in a minor car accident a few weeks ago and I am technically still off the bike. But by then..... I had better have clearance or I might get really crazy.

~formica

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
Let me know when, Penny, and I'll make every effort to meet up with you. I'll be joining Flip & RnRB this weekend, too.

CDB

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
And now my plans are "set"....

Sunday, July 2nd: I plan on riding most of the day up at Brundage...10am - 5pm. I should be in their parking lot by 9:30am.

Tuesday, July 4th (TENTATIVE): Thanks to the fine folks at Tamarack, we get FREE mountain bike season passes. Therefore I'd like to ride most of this day as well (not sure of their hours). I've never been there before. I'll probably mostly be riding their downhill trails and then maybe explore their XC stuff a bit too.

In both cases, look for the yellow Ford Escape SUV and the bright orange Yeti.

Who's game!?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping to start climbing the backside fairly early- since I'm in horrible shape. If I leave around 8-8:30 from Bear Basin, we should be on top before the lift opens. Then ride Elk Trail down and head back to BB via 488 or the little known trail at the bottom of Centennial lift. I think its about 28mi round trip.
Then ride Tam either on the 3rd or 4th. The new downhill trails should be in great shape. They were fun and twisty last fall, but SOOO dusty that you couldn't see rocks or roots.
Look for a Silver Azonic Saber- that's probably me.

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
A group of us did Eagle's Nest today. What a hoot. More text and pictures to follow...

Flip, R&RBarbie, GMan, Alex and myself, with a couple locals for most of the ride. Perfect weather, perfect conditions. Thanks to those who cleared this fun trail.

CDB

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
CBro said:
A group of us did Eagle's Nest today. What a hoot. More text and pictures to follow...

CDB
The singletrack was awesome. As usual with a lot of other ID trails, the fireroad climb seems short relative to the singletrack descending you do. We'll definitely have to bring the SS the next time around....
CBro and RRB pics...

Attachments

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
A few more shots

and thanks to the happy couple for their patience with three old family guys. The elevation took us 3 tagalongs a bit by surprise, and took me almost an hour to get acclimated. After that, boys and girls, it was pure rock-n-roll. Just like Idaho to give you a nice scenic spin up a fire road for 7 or 8 miles, to reward you with 9 or 10 miles of awesome, interesting, fast, scenic singletrack!

I hope these are in order:

1. Flip's other girl ;)
2. The Happy Couple at our staging spot :cool:
3. Break :)
4. Walk. I needed this one, after seeing what these guys were able to climb. Jimminy Christmas! :p
5. Couple of Cuties :D

Attachments

·
roar
300 Posts
Last day in McCall

Tomorrow we head to Stanley. Yesterday evening G did some fishing while Lua and I did some exploring. First fish of the year. This morning we rode Loon Lake. It was beautiful. It was not too crowded and the trail was in great condition. This afternoon we did 20 mile trail. Also very fun, but only cleared part way out. Someone had been in with a chainsaw clearing the trail, but had only gone part way. We reached a point where the blowdowns were so thick we had to turn around. A worthwhile ride anyway. The weather was warm and the cleared part of the trail was nice and mildly technical with roots and rocks. On the way back to town we saw a moose and had to stop and take a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
day at tamarack

It was great meeting and chatting with you Nick

We had a great time. The main trail (super G) was soooo much fun. Unfortunately we (my son Josh and I) were on our last lift ride down heading over to the challenge park when he went over a jump and endo'ed. He landed pretty hard on his head and shoulder. His shoulder was in so much pain theat he started shaking and threw up. We went down to the medic. After waiting for them to stitch up on ladies head, cast both hands on another man, they did some X-rays on josh. Fortunately there was not structural damage. It is still pretty sore and stiff, but hopefully that will pass soon.

what a way to celebrate you 16th birthday!!!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
lv2ride said:
We had a great time. The main trail (super G) was soooo much fun.
Definately. I realize that Super G is pretty much THE ONLY downhill trail there (yeah, yeah I know...there are some optional sections here and there), but I could ride Super G all day long if my body allowed me. It was fun! And those two Tamarack chicks were super cute.

I almost crashed my first time down on that tabletop jump that is right at the start :rolleyes:. I took it too fast....jumped it...but bad body positioning while in the air almost made me crash. Thank God I didn't.

What I really like about Super G is the many optional features on it. I hit some, I avoided some. Can't wait to see those two wallrides when they are completed!

I talked to the Sports Desk dude and he said it's gonna be a number of years before the trail system is totally built out. Understandable...Tamarack is still in it's infancy and trail crews can only work during the summer.

Did you guys burn up your brakes? Man my forearms were toast after my fifth run! I'm suprised I still have brakes after this weekend.

Unfortunately we (my son Josh and I) were on our last lift ride down heading over to the challenge park when he went over a jump and endo'ed. He landed pretty hard on his head and shoulder. His shoulder was in so much pain theat he started shaking and threw up. We went down to the medic. After waiting for them to stitch up on ladies head, cast both hands on another man, they did some X-rays on josh. Fortunately there was not structural damage. It is still pretty sore and stiff, but hopefully that will pass soon.

what a way to celebrate you 16th birthday!!!
Man that sucks to hear that about your son. I wish him a speedy and healthy recovery!

Were the lady and dude in the med center the result of crashing on their bikes?

Some other random thoughts about Tamarack....

* Several convos between me and Tam employees revolved around riders skidding on the trail. The response was either "Aren't you suppose to do that to slow down?" and "Well if they use their front brake, then they can't steer."

* I like these "hikers" that "hike" in flip flops, no water on a really hot day, and makeup.

* Now I know where to try on Fox clothes just in case I want to prodeal from Fox.

* That shower room "Club Scrub" they have between the mens and ladies room was a welcome revelation for a very dirty two days of riding. The only way I found out about it was when I asked that snack bar chick what the heck the "Club Scrub" was.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.