Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that I must go on a ride call Eagle's Nest or Eagle Crest that is up towards McCall. Anyone have info on this particular ride or know what local book in which it might show up?

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
See page 102 of Stuebner's McCall book

alindley said:
I have been told that I must go on a ride call Eagle's Nest or Eagle Crest that is up towards McCall. Anyone have info on this particular ride or know what local book in which it might show up?
Eagle's Nest Loop is in Steubner's latest McCall trail book, page 102. Haven't ridden it - maybe this weekend?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did this ride on saturday

Well I camped at Horsetheif and then did this ride from there. It is 2.5 miles from the campsites to the beginning of the ride listed in the book. The ride was mostly forest service road which was not too bad. The only real distance discrepency I had with the book was the turn off for the trail. It was much closer to 4.8 miles up the road than 3.8. When you leave the road to get on the single track (the actual Eagle's Nest Trail) the dirt is so soft it is very difficult to imposible to ride. After a few hundered yards of this steep soft climb the single track flattens out and it is slightly technical in some places but mostly a smooth ride. After you hit the summit and start down it is a whole nother story. The down portion of the Eagle's Nest Trail back to the fire road was very technical and not ridable (for me anyway) in quite a few areas. Contrary to the book the trail does eventually cross a road on the downside and you can re-join the forest service road again hereb for the ride back down. You can get up some real speed on the forest service road if you want. From the campsite and back the whole ride was 26.2 miles.

Just thought I would follow up on my question. Thanks for the referral on the book.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Stupid-ner

alindley said:
Well I camped at Horsetheif and then did this ride from there. It is 2.5 miles from the campsites to the beginning of the ride listed in the book. The ride was mostly forest service road which was not too bad. The only real distance discrepency I had with the book was the turn off for the trail. It was much closer to 4.8 miles up the road than 3.8. When you leave the road to get on the single track (the actual Eagle's Nest Trail) the dirt is so soft it is very difficult to imposible to ride. After a few hundered yards of this steep soft climb the single track flattens out and it is slightly technical in some places but mostly a smooth ride. After you hit the summit and start down it is a whole nother story. The down portion of the Eagle's Nest Trail back to the fire road was very technical and not ridable (for me anyway) in quite a few areas. Contrary to the book the trail does eventually cross a road on the downside and you can re-join the forest service road again hereb for the ride back down. You can get up some real speed on the forest service road if you want. From the campsite and back the whole ride was 26.2 miles.

Just thought I would follow up on my question. Thanks for the referral on the book.
I have consistently found that Stuebner's and Phillips' trail descriptions/distances are inaccurate in all of their books. Best to take their recommendations/directions with a grain of salt. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I can write a MUCH better trail book than the utter [email protected] Stuebner and Phillips put out.

Sounds like it would not be easy/possible to ride trail 111 (Eagle's Nest) from the park and ski as an out and back. I was thinking of doing that, but ended up riding Twentymile to Duck Lake and back instead. If you haven't ridden that one, I recommend it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trail 111

While on my ride my significant other had gone into Cascade and picked up a trail map at the ranger station. When I got back I took a look and according to the map you should be able to ride 111 all the way to the summit and back down or make a loop off of FSR 400. If the upper part is any indication I think it would be more fun to go up the fire road and then back down 111. I will have to try this one later in the year.

I really want to try the Duck Lake ride you guys have been raving about as well. Maybe a long weekend in McCall is in order. I'm too old to try these two back to back. :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
ok, one of these days we'll ride together!

I camped at upper payette lake friday night and rode 20-mile on Saturday morning. it sure makes a difference to have it cleared of deadfall! That ride is impossible for us (CIMBA) to clear quickly. Fortunately the motorcycle guys have started doing it. Have you ridden East fork of Lake fork lately?
Earthpig said:
I was thinking of doing that, but ended up riding Twentymile to Duck Lake and back instead. If you haven't ridden that one, I recommend it.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Not yet this year

Wayndar said:
Have you ridden East fork of Lake fork lately?
I haven't ventured over to EF of LF this year. That's probably the one trail in the McCall area I've ridden the most (except maybe Loon Lake) over the last few years, so I've been trying to hit other trails that I haven't ridden either in a while or ever. I'll be back up in McCall the weekend of August 14 - 15. We should try to hook up then.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
I did E fk of the Lake fk a few weeks ago, trails great no trees down if tha'ts what you wanted to know

formica

·
Registered
64 Posts
My fat tire friends,

There is a lot of great riding up here in the Payette & Boise NF surrounding McCall and throughout Long Valley. You just have to work at clearing it every summer. Our biggest obstacle is plenty of downfall and erosion due to poorly built trails (Forest Service standards). What we need is more responsible and active riders willing to get involved.

Eagle's Nest is one of our favorite rides. Most people don't like to climb for 90+ minutes but I come from CO and that's par for the course. I ride it out and back; it's the only way. I'll take singletrack over road any day.

The Central Idaho Mountain Bike Association will again be participating in National Public Lands Day by hosting a trailwork day Saturday, September 18th. If you're interested you can contact Wayndar or myself and we'll give you the details. The Payette NF Volunteer Coordinator, Al Becker, is a huge supporter of the club. Al recognizes the fact that we are out there using the trails and doing the work in a responsible manner. CIMBA has 2 trails under our care and plan on adopoting another 1 next year.

A new volunteer group is being formed, Friends of Payette Trails. It's purpose is to get the help of trail user groups in aiding the FS in the maintenance of the trails. If everyone who used the trails volunteered at least 1-2 days of trailwork we definitely see some great improvement.

Too early to keep babbling,

Darian Apollo

CIMBA - President
Solo 24 hour racer (in all my spare time)

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
good plan

mcidmtb said:
My fat tire friends,

There is a lot of great riding up here in the Payette & Boise NF surrounding McCall and throughout Long Valley. You just have to work at clearing it every summer. Our biggest obstacle is plenty of downfall and erosion due to poorly built trails (Forest Service standards). What we need is more responsible and active riders willing to get involved.

Eagle's Nest is one of our favorite rides. Most people don't like to climb for 90+ minutes but I come from CO and that's par for the course. I ride it out and back; it's the only way. I'll take singletrack over road any day.

The Central Idaho Mountain Bike Association will again be participating in National Public Lands Day by hosting a trailwork day Saturday, September 18th. If you're interested you can contact Wayndar or myself and we'll give you the details. The Payette NF Volunteer Coordinator, Al Becker, is a huge supporter of the club. Al recognizes the fact that we are out there using the trails and doing the work in a responsible manner. CIMBA has 2 trails under our care and plan on adopoting another 1 next year.

A new volunteer group is being formed, Friends of Payette Trails. It's purpose is to get the help of trail user groups in aiding the FS in the maintenance of the trails. If everyone who used the trails volunteered at least 1-2 days of trailwork we definitely see some great improvement.

Too early to keep babbling,

Darian Apollo

CIMBA - President
Solo 24 hour racer (in all my spare time)
Darian - Keep me up to date on the trail work dates, times, places up there. My wife is a McCall native and we've been spending more time up there this summer with her folks than we have in the past, so I guess I'm guilty of riding the trails up there without having done any trailwork. I usually get out and do at least one or two trail days down here, so I'm all for helping out on the trails up there.

As for Eagle's Nest, it looks like the trailhead is at the park 'n' ski turnout about 4 miles up the road to Warm Lake from Cascade. Is that right? How does the trail compare to, say, the Payette Rim trail, 20 Mile, or East Fork of Lake Fork in terms of steepness and technicality?

Geoff
Fat, beer-drinking, singlespeeding slob (in my spare time)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Technically speaking, Eagle's Nest isn't. Unless narrow singletrack and overgrown brush is considered technical. There are plenty of places when you can fly off the trail and down the slope. But that's just mountain biking. A few features here and there but a pretty fast, fun ride. Just need a little rain here. Probably a mixture of Loon Lake, 20 mile and ELF with plenty of climbing.

If interested in trail work call me at work with your email and I'll add it to the CIMBA list for rides and work days.

Ciao,

Darian Apollo
CIMBA - President
Mountain Bike Manager - Tamarack Resort
208- 325-1002 (Recreation Center)

Earthpig said:
Darian - Keep me up to date on the trail work dates, times, places up there. My wife is a McCall native and we've been spending more time up there this summer with her folks than we have in the past, so I guess I'm guilty of riding the trails up there without having done any trailwork. I usually get out and do at least one or two trail days down here, so I'm all for helping out on the trails up there.

As for Eagle's Nest, it looks like the trailhead is at the park 'n' ski turnout about 4 miles up the road to Warm Lake from Cascade. Is that right? How does the trail compare to, say, the Payette Rim trail, 20 Mile, or East Fork of Lake Fork in terms of steepness and technicality?

Geoff
Fat, beer-drinking, singlespeeding slob (in my spare time)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
thanks to whoever it was that cleared 20 mile a couple of weeks ago, that was no small feat.

(not feet!!)

formica

1 - 12 of 12 Posts