Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FlightMC29er vs MC29er trail review

I had a MC29er green that I loved, and after 2.5months of constant riding it was slated to become my favorite non super tech wheel of choice. I was smitten, but alas it was stolen in Sept in front of Borders bookstore (locked w/ fat cable over the course of 15mins) on Pac ave in SC after returning from Burning Man (a Bike society utopia imho) - the theft severely affected me on many levels - theives suck, loss of a dear machine, money aint free, etc.... but I had to have 29" wheels and eventually have been able to secure a New MC29er Flight to replace my absconded dear one.

I rode big green up through UCSC and around Wilder for a 15mi loop shake down and here's my feedback.

The bike is stiff vertically, Lively and power delivery is awesome - the Big wheels still do their magic, Carve railing singletrack at really fun lean angles, carry so much speed and the "virutual 2" of the big wheels are very evindent. What I have to bring back for your reading pleasure is my impressions of the differences.

Both bikes are 15" models - I'm 5-9ish with 29"inseam - 180ish lbs

On the old MC29er I felt like I was sitting much more "in" the bike, between the wheels.
the only changes I made was to flip the stem and lower some psi in the tires. It was a very natural intuitive feeling machine and cx mounts were buttah. Slow speed/no hands stability was scary good, the wheel tracked unflappable.

The Flight on the other hand has me feeling like I'm sitting "on" the bike to a degree, it still rails and delivers but i'm not feeling the groove with the machine to call the cx mount buttah, more like an ooof. Slow speed / no hands while good, cannot hold a candle to the original. upon delivery I flipped the stem and lowered the psi to replicate my original MC.

Over the shake down ride I flipped the stem again, adjusted spacers and have the saddle max back. I have since played with the spacers more, and reflipped the stem and will see how she feels during my lunch rides this week.

The rear end geo feels off to me - I'm going to try a thompson set back post and a shorter stem. Shorter stem first, to account the longer TT. If I can't get that sitting "in" the bike feel, she's going on the block and I'll have to try something else, maybe back to a stock MC29er, a Mary or call Paul and go custom(the custom idea is nice, that way I can get rack/fender braze ons.)

The problem with a MC29, imho is that dressing a MC29er with "bling" is like hanging pearls on a pig. I love the MC29er but with it's straight guage tubing it has a very utilitarian feel to it ala surly. I love 29ers but I can't afford a stable of bikes nor do I want to spend too much time "tweaking" to make it work.

so let's have at and help a wheelman out.

Thanks,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for that comparison. I am also smitten with my MC29er becuase of the geometry and ride quality. I was thinking that maybe I would upgrade frames. Maybe custom, maybe Ti, maybe a nice prod. steel, and maybe the MC Flight, but I just didn't think that I could ever really improve on the enjoyment I get from the Plain Old MC without spending too much, so I decided to keep it and bling it out (put her on a diet).

I'm glad I kept it, especially after reading your comparison, as the Flight was my leading candidate. I feel sort of grown up for being happy with my sensible bike. Kind of like falling in love with a girl based on what's inside rather than what sized boobs she has.

Anyway, long story finally put to death, if the old MC fits and works for you, go back to one and lighten it up. My MC responded well to some light wheels and other light parts.

P.S. Do you think the ride quality of the regular MC might be in small part BECAUSE of the heavy straight-gauge tubing?

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking straight guage tubing may have more "overall combined flex" to provide the ride, very industrial and utilitarian, a forever bike. The Sanko DB tubing provides for an amazingly efficient ride,and begs to go fast. I'm waiting on a stem change to see if that makes it work for me.

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
The top tube length of the new Flights are shorter in respect with the original MC29er, maybe thats what the difference is. I'm riding the 17 inch and am 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam and want to go with a 19 inch for the Flight if I get that. I'm also looking at a GT Peace and hooking up with a Saint rear wheel and derailleur. Could come out to around $800 bucks. The different choices are starting to come out now for 2007.

Maybe try a different handlebar like a Mary. I just saw an ad in Mountain Bike Action that has the frame and fork for the original MC for around $159!!! I think its Pricepoint. I don't have the mag around here to verify, but thats a deal and a half.

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
This past Saturday I picked up a green MC29er with SPD pedals for $315 at a LBS parking lot sale. I had not read any reviews on the bike so I knew nothing about the positive reviews this bike has gotten on this website. I purchased it purly on an awesome buy for a 29er plus this is my first SS/29er. My first ride was yesterday and I am hooked. The bike feels very solid and the gearing seems perfect for the riding in SoCal. The only down side I saw were the brakes which I switched out last night after the ride (put on some older Avid mechanical disc). The brake thing is probably more that I am now used to disc. Overall I was very pleased with how the bike climbs with its weight. I don't see how lightening this bike up too much would be very beneficial. To me it seems to just about right; perfect bike for the money. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Get a One9 and be done with it. If hanging bling on the 4130 "pig" doesn't suit you, the One9 will have no issues hanging it.

Compare the geometry of all 3.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by no means to discount the utility of the standard MC I loved my original and would have been fine upgrading to a midrange headset and been done with it and rode it forever - but blinging a standard with top shelf bits would be just not right....

If I got a Niner it would have been a S.I.R but I'm not super keen on EBB's.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i heard Niner is coming out with a SIR without EBB. MCR/magic carpet ride or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts