Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to get out for a quick spin at China Camp this morning with the MC29er. My first impressions are... this thing is stiff. Maybe too stiff. It fully rattled my teeth out. My last SingleSpeed was also rigid, but not this stiff. And who's idea was it to do oversized bar and stem on a rigid bike, anyway? I was perfectly happy with 25.4mm sized bars.

Of course, switching to 2.1 tires is probably most responsible for that. I messed with the tire pressure, and it didn't help. Second impression is that it corners really well once I leared how it behaves. Fun stuff.

So far, I dig it. I think I need to start saving up for that Reba, tho!

Here are a few poseur pics:

·
Registered
460 Posts
You could try one of those WTB Weirwolf 2.55's up front with about 20lbs of air and I bet that will help a lot. How do you like the stock 32/20 gearing?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I haven't made up my mind yet.

WVJon75 said:
You could try one of those WTB Weirwolf 2.55's up front with about 20lbs of air and I bet that will help a lot. How do you like the stock 32/20 gearing?
It sure seemed harder to crank up the climbs than my 32*18 26" Singlespeed. I haven't done the math yet to figure out if it really is a taller gear, or if its just the extra 6+ pounds of extra bike I'm lugging around over the old SS.

*edit*

Okay, I just did the math (or really, let the Sheldon Brown webiste do the math, I just punched in the numbers) and the 29er is running 46.3 gear inches, and the old bike was running 46.1. So the new 29er is a tad taller, but not by a noticable amount. The harder climbing must be due to the extra weight.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
Why run a hydrolic disc up front and not on the rear?

Just curious.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because....

mtnbikej said:
Why run a hydrolic disc up front and not on the rear?

Just curious.
I only had one in the parts bin. You got a rear 4 pot XT brakeset you wanna sell me cheap? :ihih:

Front disc, rear V works fine. There is still plenty of brake power. I can easily lock up the rear, even if I lean off the back of the saddle.

I'll prolly end up with a set of Avid Mechs or something, if I don't find a good set of matching hydros for cheap enough. I'd love to get a set of Hope Mono Minis on there. I got MMs on my Stumpjumper and love them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts