Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:madmax: :madmax: MC is not Bike mamufacturing Company but Sticker Manufacturing Company!

My bike is moho slix. My Bike's hanger was broken. I bought 5 hangers $155.74 from MC.
MC only send hangers without bolts. Hangers need two special shape bolts.
MC tech manager do not hesitate to say, 'MC will not these bolts for that hanger to you'
MC tech manager said to me, 'If you find the bolt size please pass it on to me so I can help others..'

Is it fair and reasonable? MC do have responcibility to provide their parts.

Ironically, they send me MC stickers to me with 5 hangers.
Now I have so many MC stickers which are useless to me.

If you chose MC model, Please Consider your choice again!

MC=Moutain Cycle

·
Mountain Cyclist
320 Posts
So because they didnt send you hanger bolts for a model they stopped making ~5 years ago , I shouldn't buy a MC bike? I would be pissed if they said "we're sending you 5 hangers, each with a set of bolts" and they arrived without the bolts, but (and as much as it does suck) I think they weren't obligated to send any, nor was that the initial understanding. I'm actually surprised they had 5 slix hangers on hand. Man those things are pricey though.

Oh, and I'd be more than happy to take those stickers off your hands. Let me know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
MC9.5 said:
YES IT IS:rolleyes:

Now go ride your Moho and stop complaining:thumbsup:
Ha Ha.....I'd be pissed if I just got the bolts and no hangers though..:D

Do you still have the old bolts? If so just reuse them or bring them down to a hardware store and have someone match them up...

If not post a "Friendly" question in this forum and maybe another Moho owner will be nice enough to get the sizes for you..:eekster:

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Hmmmm, I've never had a problem finding something that works or can easily be adapted at the local hardware store.
AND...I live in a non metric country.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say that even getting hangers for an old and discontinued frame is great service. It would seem that instead of coming here and complaining about what most would consider great service, you ask them nicely if you can get some bolts for the hangers, or even better, go to a hardware store and see if you can buy something similar.

From my experiences, hangers that I have received in the past had come without the bolts, as most would expect that the existing bolts are just fine.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Mig Pilot said:
I would say that even getting hangers for an old and discontinued frame is great service. It would seem that instead of coming here and complaining about what most would consider great service, you ask them nicely if you can get some bolts for the hangers, or even better, go to a hardware store and see if you can buy something similar.

From my experiences, hangers that I have received in the past had come without the bolts, as most would expect that the existing bolts are just fine.
Yep, a lot of the bigger bike companies, wouldn't even have the hanger available, for a bike that had been out of production for 5 + years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great Service? I pay for that enough over $150 for five hangers not free.
If I can get similar bolts in hardware store, MC can more easily get them.
MC do not have service mind.

I bought 3 times same hanger. Always, two bolts included.

How do you know moho over 5 years? Do you work for MC?
I bought moho 3 years ago.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think the general feeling is that MC have given you good service for a frame that has been discontinued for some time. We could ask just how you manage to break so many hangers...?

As for how people around here know, yes, some are employees but most have been associated with the brand as customers for many years. Myself, I have ridden MC's since 1993, so guess you could say we all know the brand and its bikes very well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I accept your advice. If I have MC bike over 5 years, that MC bike which is out of order will be placed inside the trash can.

My experience is MC is not reliable brand for me. The Reason is : MC supply hangers to me. It was very difficult for MC to make it. How difficult it is! But they can not supply bolts which is necessary. I think it is no benefit for them. MC always do things wihch is related to Money. I am so disappointed MC their attitude!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi Mig Pilot!

Service is down graded!

Great Service --> Good Service! huh!

So Many hangers was broken.
Hanger have to be bent, I know. But MC moho's hangers is more fragile than other bikes.
I have two bikes, The one is gary fisher. I was 4 years. But I have no chance to change
Hanger. Because It was bent, Mechanic can fixed it. But MC was not. Hanger was bent,
It could not be fixed, It was broken while it was to be original shape. I think MC hanger Material is so soft.

I just disappointed MC's attitude. I can buy those bolts for myself it will take time.
MC supply to me hangers which can make money. But they do not supply bolts
,because It’s an awkward business for them.:nono:

General Feeling !
As I know, MC ordered batch of Hanger for Moho from Taiwan.
Somebody who have broken hangers need another new
hangers. He orders hanger to MC. He have to visit bolts market for new bolts.
So many people do the same thing. MC thech manager can solve this problem at one visit.
So many people will be happy.

Good Day with Bike!

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Man! The hanger on my San Andreas isn't soft.
I've hit rocks hard enough, to bend in the body of the dérailleur at the main pivot and make the dérailleur slow to move, but my hanger has never bent.
The only bike I've ever owned, that had a soft hanger, was an 03 Stumpjumper.
That thing bent it's hangers, literally while bouncing down the trail, no impact required.

I still don't see what the problem is, with finding some proper bolts at a hardware store and shortening them with something like a Dremal if necessary.

It's like I said before, try getting those bolts or a hanger from some other company, whos particular model has been out of production for 5 years or more.

Either Wilson or QBP have someone in their catalog that makes after-market hangers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Loderun

Please check your private mail - I have sent you my personal mail address so you can explain to me what has happened and I can try to help you?

Just for general notice - we are doing our very best to get all the old spares back into stock - however in many cases we don't even have the original CAD files to work from, just the 2d frame schematics or an old example taken from a used bike (which we then need to re-draw, re-plot into CAD, make a test sample etc...)

Now I don't want to sound like these small spares are "second priority" - we are working on spares availability - but please do understand there is a lot of work involved and we are going down the list by most>least urgent basis.

We sold 16 Moho hangers last year. We need to order 100 pieces. We will make about 50c on each (because we don't want to charge you a fortune...) and we need to order about 5000 bolts...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dear Lee / Loderun

I am sending you this message, cc'ed to John and will post it onto MTBR aswell, so that we can be very clear with you and everyone about these bolts.

Firstly; I am very sorry that you feel so unhappy with us - that we did not deliver bolts with the replacement hangers. We do try very hard to help out all our customers as much as we possibly can, and reading through your and Johns e.mails - I believe he did everything he could to help you out.

As John explained to you - we actually made a small batch of SLIX hangers at a local CNC machine shop in CA - and John did inform you that:
These were not supplied with bolts, as we were unable to find a new source for these M3 x 7.75 countersunk bolts.
You were buying the hangers at our cost price - as a service to you (they were very expensive to make )

I have to say that normally we do include these bolts - it's our SOP than replaceable derailleur hangers come with new bolts - however as we didn't have any, couldn't find any, and you wanted your hangers urgently, we shipped the hangers without bolts.

We really appreciate MTBR forum, and we like dealing with all our customers / friends on here. However seeing your message is a bit disappointing to us, as it makes a big issue out of a small problem.

If you had sent a mail to John (to be fair - he should have remembered to send you a mail, but we're sorry, we are all busy) he would have replied straight away. Instead, by posting your "MC are nasty" messages on MTBR you have involved three staff, our other clients and our reputation - in a really very simple matter over some M8 bolts which you could source at a hardware store.

As it happens the bolts we sourced (from the original supplier as MC used back in 2000) came into stock a few weeks ago, so we are able to send some out to you in the post ASAP. There; Simple.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
loderun said:
Hi Mig Pilot!

Service is down graded!

So Many hangers was broken.
Hanger have to be bent, I know. But MC moho's hangers is more fragile than other bikes.
I have two bikes, The one is gary fisher. I was 4 years. But I have no chance to change
Hanger. Because It was bent, Mechanic can fixed it. But MC was not. Hanger was bent,
It could not be fixed, It was broken while it was to be original shape. I think MC hanger Material is so soft.

I just disappointed MC's attitude. I can buy those bolts for myself it will take time.
MC supply to me hangers which can make money. But they do not supply bolts
,because It's an awkward business for them.:nono:

General Feeling !
As I know, MC ordered batch of Hanger for Moho from Taiwan.
Somebody who have broken hangers need another new
hangers. He orders hanger to MC. He have to visit bolts market for new bolts.
So many people do the same thing. MC thech manager can solve this problem at one visit.
So many people will be happy.

Good Day with Bike!
Hey dude,

The current owners of the "Mountain Cycle" brand are under no obligation to supply you with anything. You are very lucky that they came along to pick up the pieces and continue with the brand at all. Your frame was actually from the company in Cali, before the company in Portland, that today's MC took over.

Same thing for those of you whining about warranty claims taking too long. If the current MC guys were really smart and wanted to make a lot of money, they'd tell all of you to "take a hike", so they could put all their time, effort and finaces toward new bikes that will turn a profit. All they'd have to do is switch the name to "Mountain Cycle Industries" or something like that, then simply move forward and leave all the past behind.

But Ben, Krien, Eric, John, and everyone else are very considerate toward past and present MC customers and are going out of their way to do the best that they can to help out the people. Any of you who receive warranty frames or parts for past MC frames should be extremely thankful for the service these guys are giving you since the product is being manufactured at a loss, simply to help you out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cheers Twisted, good to see you on here buddy.

To re-cap:
Legally - we have no obligation to service older MC 'warranties' (I put that in brackets as many bikes are >2years old - and we have 'double NO" to look after these older frames that have failed after a good hard-riding life.

Morally...
Now that's where ignore our legal obligations... we feel very strongly that we must look after those riders who believed in - and continue to breathe Mountain Cycle. We are doing all we can to help you guys out - and we're as unhappy as you that sometimes it takes a while / bolts go missing / etc etc etc.... Sadly that's not enough for some people (at least not when they have their "forum moniker' on - it's always they same on any forum - but for those of you who believe, please please keep the faith.... ;-p

OK, I think this thread is probably closed now....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
loderun said:
Service is down graded!

After reading through this post and hearing both sides, I wouldn't call it Great or Good service..
I would call it Incredible service!!!!

It sounds to me like Krien and John have bent over backwards to help you out and keep you on a MC frame that that has not been produced in many years..
How many other companies in the cycling industry, or other industries for that matter would do that???
Not many!!!!
It's just not profitable..and speaks wonders about their credibility...

It's service and story's like this that makes me proud to be a Mountain Cycle customer/owner and always consider MC first when making a new frame purchase.. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for keeping the brand alive....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dear Krien

I understand you and MC. I am deeply impressed your explanation.

When I sent an e-mail to john to ask bolts, he did not any reply to me.
So I write my story in this forum. I was so upset because John wrote an
e-mail to me,'If you find the bolt size please pass it on to me so I can help others.'

I can not understand the reason why I can do get the bolts while MC employee John
can not get the bolts.

Now I heard enough explanation from you. I accept your apologize.
I am sorry that my aritcle should not be harmful to to MC.

Thank you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
HI Loderun,

Thanks for your message - there is no harm done.

You should receive your bolts in a small envelope very soon (they were posted last week) so just let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you?

As an aside - if you are 'eating' so many hangers as you say you are - have you thought about using the new Shimano Shadow derailleurs? I have to admit I thought it was a gimmick when they first showed me, but I was riding one this weekend in the Alpes and it's true - they are not as exposed - therefore - they are at less risk from hitting rocks. Shimano do a XTR and XT version - why not give one of those a try?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.