Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well: it is getting pretty bad for the poor (fake) TNT-5-spot. Two tests lost in a row (well after the same bad results in 2006 of course).

Rocky Mountain element 70, Ibis Mojo, Turner 5-spot, Intense 5.5. And the winner is:

THE IBIS MOJO

Dear friends, it is time to drop your 5-spot. Especially if you have a single-pivot one. MBUK has the honesty (unlike the cheerledears of the TNT-band-wagon on this forum) to state the obvious: that TNT is worse then the original Horst.

Myself I'll keep my Horst for a bit longer (hei, I don't mind my Horst 5-spot with a PUSH RP3) until I get an Iron Horse or a IBIS.:thumbsup: or maybe a Liteville 301

·
Registered
292 Posts
Had a go on a mates Mojo the other day - awesome bike! I'll keep my Horst Flux for a while before getting my grubby hands on a Mojo.

There is a lot of rumour in the UK that Dave will go back to the Horst Link. Anyone else heard or is the just rubbish? (probably rubbish)

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Hardly most of us are old enough not to rely on magazine tests and take them for what they are opinions based on limited use or tested by XC whippets:D read into them what u will they have there place I enjoy the articles on riding not the tests very subjective to many factors:eek:

If u are so sold on Ibis and IH go buy one why post about it, u looking for justification I don't get it, this perpetual motion of rubbish:eek:

1: most here are unlikely to be converted
2: something will always come along thats better
3: what suits u doesn't equate to everyone else
4: who cares

I held the Mojo in my hands today and its a nice frame, and I respect IH I like there 07 like up will I change no, if I didn't build up my own bikes and could only afford an OEM then IH would top the list for sure.

Ibis well its certainly looks like a super model would I want to take it into battle no would I race it if I was sponsored yes, maybe, Ive been around carbon for many years, in many MTB apps it has its place, Im yet to be convinced its good in an offroad AM frame, it dosen't make it on Motox,

XC ok I still wouldn't by one with my own $$, I travelled at 30+ knots when a 460cm mast went on me and it wasn't pretty and I wasn't even getting any air, an internal fracture of the carbon only Xray could detect (ok the mast was nit new and had a fair bit of use) which tore a whole through my Luff pocket and shreaded my monofilm plus I felt someone had shot me with a shotgun the noise made me crap my wetsuit:D

DW link though will no doubt make it a nice ride in the right hands it might last well, I'll stick with alloy least I know if I drop it on a rock or ding it structurally its still OK do that with carbon yeahhaa right still its a sexy looking frame:p

·
Banned
706 Posts
Now it wil be impossible to have fun in the woods on a Turner, knowing that one lost a magazine test.

BTW how much maintainence have you done on your Turner frame, Davide? I'd suspect a squirt of grease every now and again.

How much maintainence does that Ibis require?

Don't know?

Neither does anyone else...

FWIW I spent time on a 5.5 loaner a while back. It was a poor riding machine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
He's not trolling

This dude is a perfect example of some ball busting that went too far. I remember when I first found this forum, homeboy posted up pics of his weightweenie spot with carbon stickers. They boys tore him to shreds. He's been emotionally scarred ever since and comes off as a really sad individual. He must cry every time he throws a leg over his bike. But, fueled by anger, probably rides like the devil.:eek:
He blasts Turner every chance he can now, pimping the Mojo that is just out of his reach. I think the Mojo is probably a fine bike, but hate to think what all those dents, dings, and gouges on my Spot would look like on a carbon fiber frame. I guess I could just cover them with a carbon "frame saver" sticker. That'd look cool.:thumbsup:
Just remember kids, play nice with each other.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
kendogg said:
He blasts Turner every chance he can now,
You need to go back to the days of the old website. He blasted Turner back then but his problem is he's so clueless when it comes to anything bike related, he's always being pummeled. His elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well, that does it! Time to sell my Turner! Davide's right! I mean...one magazine review where the world didnt genuflect to the manufacturer of my bike.....time to GIVE UP!!!

Wait..I dont have a spot...I have a FLUX. But I read a sidebar in the East Unalaska Intelligencer entitled "What bike to ride when youre not on Sig Hansen's Crabbing Boat" where the Flux was given TOP BILLING! So Im all good, right Davide??? Please!!! Tell me Im good! I

Schmuck..............

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I can understand everyone defending the design they currently own, since it seems inevitable. I could NOT understand people switching/defending TNT just because it was the latest flavor that Turner was forced to incorporate. I look forward to riding a dw-link design, but not in a carbon format.

Life is too damn short to ride one maker/design the entire time.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You are the smartest monkey....

Davide said:
Well: it is getting pretty bad for the poor (fake) TNT-5-spot. Two tests lost in a row (well after the same bad results in 2006 of course).

Rocky Mountain element 70, Ibis Mojo, Turner 5-spot, Intense 5.5. And the winner is:

THE IBIS MOJO
Dear friends, it is time to drop your 5-spot. Especially if you have a single-pivot one. MBUK has the honesty (unlike the cheerledears of the TNT-band-wagon on this forum) to state the obvious: that TNT is worse then the original Horst.

Myself I'll keep my Horst for a bit longer (hei, I don't mind my Horst 5-spot with a PUSH RP3) until I get an Iron Horse or a IBIS.:thumbsup: or maybe a Liteville 301
That I know... DMB some singing for you.

There is nothing negative about TNT on the MBUK review. In fact they said that it was stiffer and I blieve it because I have both desings.

So what if they did not like the higher BB? And the spacer deal? that right there clouds the credibility of the test.

Orange and Ibis? Are they better? For you they are. Don't worry. Many Homers will provide true feedback to DT whether his new design is good or not and he will fix what need to be fix. This new design probably came from Homer input and we value that. You will not get that from ibis or orange owners or even EllsW owners.

I will buy a Turner no matter what you believe. You need to let go of the TNT issue. You have no point there and the best thing you can do is just say I was wrong... TNT is the tits...

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Shame on you, Davide.

Your post is a deliberate attempt to hurt David's business and livelihood. And that is shameful.

Does David Turner come into your business and start slamming you to your customers? Does he make a concious effort to make if more difficult for you to earn a paycheck? I don't think so.

I have met David Turner. He is a honest, friendly, hard working guy with a ton of integrity. He does an exceedingly good job in a very difficult industry and should be commended for it.

You're interested in other bikes? Great! That's why there are 31 flavors. Show some class and focus on the positive.

Common decency. Give it a shot.

PS - we're not your "friends" so save the friendly recommendation

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
Troll troll troll your boat gently down the stream. Once again Davide has shown he is a pathetic excuse of a human being. It must suck to be him.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
The Ibis looks like a cool bike (although I don't think Rob Roskopp is happy), and it probably rides great. I'd love to throw a leg over one someday. But here's the problem, what if one were to crash hard on rocks? Even if Ibis has a good crash replacement policy, isn't a "heartier" frame material more sensible for someone who rides varied terrain? To me, a RFX, or 6point, etc. (even a Kona Coilair) makes more sense for most riders. As a XC race platform for a hardcore racer, I can understand. Not for a 5.5" "everywhere" machine. JMO.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
To quote Gonzo: "Dance Puppets, Dance!"

DustyB said:
I could NOT understand people switching/defending TNT just because it was the latest flavor that Turner was forced to incorporate.
There have been plenty of people who either own or have thoroughuly compared the two different rear triangles and were quite satisfied that they are so similar that the differences are far exceeded by average tuning such as shock and tire changes. Several people, myself included, found what nuances they could find were actually prefered on the TNT side. (I own both).

If someone should be so inclined to dismiss all this rider based input as defensive or delusional...without actually experiencing the difference themselves then it seems to me they are actually deluding themselves.

But I do agree Dusty, there are plenty of other great bikes worth trying and they shouldn't be dismissed anymore than the TNT should.

I can't compare the Ibis but if one were to prefer it over the TNT, then the same could be said for the HL Turner. The differences of design and character between the two brands is several orders of magnitudes greater than the differences between the two rear ends.

FWIW Davide has been lambasting Turner and Turnerbikes since the XCE... He spent a whole year positively torching the 5 Spot as a poor choice compared to the Blur, but after demoing both, he chose the Spot and not the Blur. We respectfully did not ride him for the about face...but yeah we poked some fun on his build...but we tease here so I doubt this the source of his grudge. Davide's entitled to his opinions and I hope he follows his own advice sometime in the future...it must be difficult to settle with a choice he was against from the very start.

There are many exceptional bikes out there and many new interesting designs...but if you let a magazine choose your next bike, they might as well pick your underwear too.

Davide said:
Dear friends, it is time to drop your 5-spot....Myself I'll keep my (Spot) for a bit longer (hei, I don't mind my Horst 5-spot with a PUSH RP3) until I get an Iron Horse or a IBIS.:thumbsup: or maybe a Liteville 301
Translation: "Sombody please buy one of these and tell me if they really are better." or "You go first!"

BTW Look-alikes have never been ride-alikes. This is why comparison tests are done.

I can't imagine why so many ppl come here for component and setup information but regard the same contributers are unable to provide an objective opinion on the frames.:rolleyes:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
does anyone have a link to some chrome tape? my cables are makin the buzzards in my town puke whenever i pass roadkill. maybe i can use the leftover to cover up these hidious tnt links.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Another round of Carbonfiber mountain bikes

There is probably no idea in the world more DUMB. Unless of course you race xc and then well that's a whole nother discussion.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.