Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh dear, latest edtion of MBUK reviews the 6 pack and Ellsworth Rogue. The review is pretty negative about the 6 pack, and just to rub salt in the wounds they loved the Rogue (including the low price - about £300 cheaper than the Pack). Like a dagger to the heart .... Oh well, I'm sure we can construct lots of reasons why MBUK isn't worth the paper etc

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
mol said:
oh dear, latest edtion of MBUK reviews the 6 pack and Ellsworth Rogue. The review is pretty negative about the 6 pack, and just to rub salt in the wounds they loved the Rogue (including the low price - about £300 cheaper than the Pack). Like a dagger to the heart .... Oh well, I'm sure we can construct lots of reasons why MBUK isn't worth the paper etc
please post scans/pics of review.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I can understand that Ellsworth has quality control problems - but as far as RIDE QUALITY, I'm sure the Rogue rides pretty nice. Don't know what you're bagging on MBUK - have you ridden them back to back (e.g. pack vs Rogue)? How can you be sure MBUK is rubbish for making such statement?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acadian said:
I can understand that Ellsworth has quality control problems - but as far as RIDE QUALITY, I'm sure the Rogue rides pretty nice. Don't know what you're bagging on MBUK - have you ridden them back to back (e.g. pack vs Rogue)? How can you be sure MBUK is rubbish for making such statement?
Sorry, should have made it clear that the 'MBUK is rubbish' bit was a reference to our occasional defensive reactions to criticisms of Turner bikes. I have no particular view on MBUK's reviews. I guess I was a bit surprised by the poor review as all previous reviews of Turners in UK mags (that I've seen) have been overwhelmingly positive. Indeed the MBUK review was almost apologetic in its criticisms of the Pack, so in a way I don't doubt the reviewer's sincerity.
After all that I don't have the review to hand, but will scan it asap.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mbuk

What did they say? I haven't bought MBUK as it is indeed rubbish. I hope it's not in one of those stupid packs which prevents you from reading the magazine in the shop, as I fancying going to have a browse one lunchtime...

The 6 pack generally hasn't had that great reviews over here in the UK. I think mainly because of it's weight - it's very much over built for the type of riding you get over here and is hard work on our style of climbs. I find my 5-spot the perfect weight and strength for riding here.

·
Registered
839 Posts
mol said:
The quality of this review is absolute rubbish. It was done at the inter bike demo day and It’s not really a review, they just complain about how poorly the bike was setup.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Anything other than a HL, ICT or a Whyte gets a score of 9 or less mostly like a 7-8, the listed always gets a perfect 10, so Im guessing the Pack in question is a TNT. Did Horst L. come from the UK?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Afraid it is in a sealed bag. I never usually buy it as it's a kid's comic, but it said turner review on the front so it had to be done. The review is of a TNT rear end, and much as I hate to admit it, especially as they raved about the ellsworth, I thought the review didn't come across as biased. They praise the 5 spot in the same review and don't attribute any of their negative comments to the TNT. Saying that they also reckon that they couldn't get the DHX 5.0 working how they wanted. Dodgy shock, rear linkage or just bad frame design? They don't elaborate, but I really can't see how conclusive they can be from a 45min? (how long did a lap take Tscheezy?) lap. Either way, I'm not buying their stinking rag again because it's making me all confused and unhappy.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Which issue of MBUK? November, December, Jan...?

In Canada we tend to receive them about 2 months later, in winter they probably go through the North pole and the boat gets stuck in the ice.

Tscheezy probably never even gets those! :D :D :D :D

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
Ouch. I just got a 6-pack. Now that I read this review I'm going to have to sell it :rolleyes:

An 8" travel all-mountain bike. That's like using an elephant gun on a mouse -- you're gonna break a bunch of other stuff and may not even hit the mouse.

I love how it comes in two sizes only.

Ellsworth - 6 bikes with 5 or more inches of travel. 50% of their entire product line.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
airwreck said:
why are ellsworth bikes supposedly cheaper in the UK than the US?
US Retail Rogue 2395, six pack 1995.
I dunno.... the mag says that the 6' costs 1595 pounds... that's 2700 bucks at today's exchange rate.

Maybe TE is selling them cheaper outside the US to get more sales. Who knows??

·
Registered
25 Posts
The reported reason for the lowered Ellsworth prices in the UK is apparently because Ellsworth moved production in house. If this is the real reason, then no doubt Ellsworth prices will drop in the US too.

However you should probably bear in mind that we've been getting seriously ripped off in the UK on Ellsworth prices in the past. Last year a Moment cost £1800 (thats $3000+). I've also heard tha Ellsworth will now only be selling through the uk distributors, so price savings may be because the dealers cut has now been taken out of the equation.

When considering whether MBUK is bagging on Turners, you should note that there is also an update on a long termer test 5 spot in the mag, concluding, "the bike can honestly call itself one of the best trail bikes ever made".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Comparing prices

He Guys,

Don't forget to take VAT into account when you compare prices of US to some other country. In most countries all prices are presented with VAT Included, in the US the prices are excl VAT.

So when a Rogue in the US is at a salesprice of 2395 and you compare it to the UK's 2700, that looks to me as the same price!

·
Registered
191 Posts
msxx said:
He Guys,

Don't forget to take VAT into account when you compare prices of US to some other country. In most countries all prices are presented with VAT Included, in the US the prices are excl VAT.

So when a Rogue in the US is at a salesprice of 2395 and you compare it to the UK's 2700, that looks to me as the same price!

That is some pretty brutal sales tax if you add $305 to the price of the frame. Even 6% only gives you $143 of taxes.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
dyst0pia said:
That is some pretty brutal sales tax if you add $305 to the price of the frame. Even 6% only gives you $143 of taxes.
6%!! you lucky americans... sales tax in most of the world are 17%+

1 - 20 of 38 Posts