Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the better UK mountain bike magazines, MBR, has its 10 year edition this month.

They rate their bikes of the decade...here we go:

10 - DMR trailstar
9 - GT Zaskar
8 - Commencal Meta - 5
7 - spesh Stumpjumper M4
6 - Cannondale CAAD5 hardtails
5 - Intense Tracer
4 - TURNER 5-Spot (pre 'faux-bar')
3 - Giant VT
2 - santa Cruz Superlight
1 - Spesh Enduro

Worst bikes of the decade:

10 - Whyte PRST-1
9 - Commencal Doctor
8 - klein Sussers
7 - Cristini AWD
6 - Soft tails (all)
5 - 35lb 'all-mountain' bikes
4 - singlespeeds (all)
3 - 29er singlespeeds
2 - 29ers
1 - Mountain Cycles San Andreas

its only a magazine..........

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree...

I know when i roll my Spot out of the garage i own the finest bike on the planet, but there again, I'm sure someone with a MC san Andreas feels the same!!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,470 Posts
Score

d.ten said:

10 - Whyte PRST-1
9 - Commencal Doctor
8 - klein Sussers
7 - Cristini AWD
6 - Soft tails (all)
4 - singlespeeds (all)
3 - 29er singlespeeds
2 - 29ers
1 - Mountain Cycles San Andreas

its only a magazine..........
Looks like I happen to own one of the worst bikes of the decade. Nice!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
Those people are weird.

I don't disagree about the Spot's ranking, considering it was receiving accolades from the moment it came out. It was those awards and high marks that drew me to Turner, so I don't see that as hype, but there are bikes up there with less importance, even to the manufacturer, like the Giant VT.

As far as the 35pound AM bikes, I guess that means my 35 pound TRAILBIKE is an FR in reality?

Friggin' drunks.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,989 Posts
I thought the same thing...........

Giant VT ???

huh? don't exactly what is so magical here.......maybe except for the sub 500 dollar version you used to be able to get at Wal-Mart...............

Those old Klein Mantras weren't soo bad. Sure they rattled your legs on the downhills, but as a trailbike, they climbed great and handled very nicely....

and Singlespeeds......how could a single speed bike be the worst for anything? I really don't get that one....

right on about the Whyte....that design is ridiculous.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Sometimes they write like they own stock in Spechy.

Single speeds and Niners rank as the worst bikes of the decade? San Andres the worst bike? I guess they forgot to add the TNT to the worst list. :rolleyes:

That pretty much makes their best bike judgement rather questionable.

·
Large member
2,750 Posts
I saw this too. The thing that p'd me off was this bit under the text on the 5-Spot;

"Sadly, in late 2005 Turner abandoned the Horst Link (after a patent dispute with Ellsworth) and has opted for a "faux-bar" design since."

Nice. MBR is a good quality magazine but has worshipped Spesh for as long as I can remember, thus the love of FSR....

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
Imagine if we revered technology in other areas that was invented 16 years ago. We'd still be driving around cars with 1991 technology, emissions, mileage, etc.

Mountain bikers are funny. Denying things they see, such as four bars without a horst link, then calling it a "faux bar", then denying the ride quality available in alternate designs.

Specialized really did a number on the buying public, but it's good to see many people don't buy the hype, but funny on the trail hearing someone call my bike a faux bar until I asked them to count the number of suspension members and ask why they are using the word "faux". Asking them if they know what the axle paths are is another good one.

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
jokermtb said:
I thought the same thing...........

right on about the Whyte....that design is ridiculous.
Never figured out what it was about the Whytes, since one can get a much less artistic version as a Marin. It addressed tons of things that weren't truly wrong, including the fork, then they went to the DUC, which seems to be forgotten.

·
Large member
2,750 Posts
lidarman said:
d.ten,

Can you post how many specialized ads are in the magazine?
Since D.Ten isn't online at the moment and I've got the mag in front of me......

The back page is a Spesh ad. There's also a 2 pager in the middle for the Spesh concept stores. There's a half pager near the back for the jointly promoted MBR and Spesh (!) Enduro event. The Epic is the joint winner of the full-sus group test......they give the Intense 6.6 6/10.

MBR are aware that they are accused of Spesh bias, I have seen them defend it in editorial several times. The number 1 is actually the 03-04 Enduro, there's no mention of the later ones.

Just to be devil's advocate (and I should hold my hands up here as the happy owner of an 04 S-Works Enduro as well as an 06 RFX) the 03-04 Enduro is a cracking bike and I can well remember the impact it had on the market when it was launched. It was an absolute revelation for me when I first rode it and they sold by the bucketload. If I'm honest, it was the FSR design and my fondness of it that led me to look for a better version with Turner (I subsequently bought an 04 Burner).

Is the Enduro the best bike of the last ten years? Nah, the Five Spot is appreciably better, as are several others I have ridden. But if I had to pick one bike that moved the game on during that time for a large number of people (which is where MBR is aimed) I'm not sure I could come up with a stronger contender than the Enduro. Now the others in their list, don't get me started.......

(Runs away for flame suit......)

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
d.ten said:
One of the better UK mountain bike magazines, MBR, has its 10 year edition this month.

They rate their bikes of the decade...here we go:

1 - Spesh Enduro

Are they aware that the 2006 Enduros were almost 35lbs? Oh, the irony.

I wonder where they'd rate 40lb all-mountain bikes?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.