Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any know the new mbaa schedule. I went into adventure the other day and they didnt know when or where any of the races were. Also i forgot the cost for a year pass and the cost of a day pass. And was wondering how much they were. They also said something about an "un-official" race in flagstaff, but didnt know where :confused: . Any info on these questions would be grand.
thanks.

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
Good question

legrand said:
Does any know the new mbaa schedule. I went into adventure the other day and they didnt know when or where any of the races were. Also i forgot the cost for a year pass and the cost of a day pass. And was wondering how much they were. They also said something about an "un-official" race in flagstaff, but didnt know where :confused: . Any info on these questions would be grand.
thanks.
My limited knowledge of it is this: it's going to happen but the schedule and format has yet to be fully hashed out. Each race will have different organizers but I'm unclear as to whether the MBAA such as it is will still have a hand in the organization of the series or not. As far as I know there are 8 races currently being discussed.

Fear not and keep training :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not sure what's 'unofficial' about it. The race will be September 12th and held at Fort Tuthill-Soldier's Trail in Flagstaff. I guess it's unofficial in that it is not part of any series. They might have more info at mbaa.net, but either way I do know that the date is firm.

T.A.

·
N/A
236 Posts
legrand said:
thanks.
I doubt that the schedule is set yet. MBAA generally likes to try to coordinate with the roadies and NORBA to minimize conflict dates. Give it a couple months.

From what I've heard, MBAA volunteers are taking a more hands-on approach with the races this year (as opposed to previous years where the race promoters had more autonomy). There are going to be different race directors for different races but MBAA will be more directly involved. I've heard that they are also planning more recreational (i.e. non-race) rides & events.

I picked up a flier for the September 12th Flagstaff race (Fall Flagstaff Fattire Fiesta) in my LBS so check it out. It's billed as a Tandem race but has the normal race classes too. It's using the Bridge trail at Tuthill so at least we have some good singletrack in addition to Soldier trail. I'm planning to take the singlespeed (don't have a tandem :( )

·
Registered
656 Posts
mtnbkaz said:
I've heard that they are also planning more recreational (i.e. non-race) rides & events. :( )
i will believe that when i see it. they have been saying that for YEARS! since i do not race i quit MBAA when their empty promises became evident. and yeah, the empty promises came from mary h. herself.

Rita

·
N/A
236 Posts
AZtortoise said:
i will believe that when i see it. they have been saying that for YEARS! since i do not race i quit MBAA when their empty promises became evident. and yeah, the empty promises came from mary h. herself.

Rita
Who exactly is "they"? In my mind, "they" is whoever volunteers to help organize events or work with land managers. MBAA is a volunteer organization and there's been a lot of turnover in MBAA leadership in recent years. I've certainly done my fair share of complaining over the years. I don't volunteer as much as I could but I'm willing to help occasionally.

You don't need an organization to enjoy riding but it sometimes helps to coordinate resources (especially when dealing with access & land management issues). I think lots of people have good ideas for how to promote cycling in AZ. The problem is getting them organized. Who knows, maybe your right and nothing will happen. But I'll participate in any event that looks fun and try to volunteer when I have time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
mtnbkaz said:
Who exactly is "they"? In my mind, "they" is whoever volunteers to help organize events or work with land managers. MBAA is a volunteer organization and there's been a lot of turnover in MBAA leadership in recent years. I've certainly done my fair share of complaining over the years. I don't volunteer as much as I could but I'm willing to help occasionally.

You don't need an organization to enjoy riding but it sometimes helps to coordinate resources (especially when dealing with access & land management issues). I think lots of people have good ideas for how to promote cycling in AZ. The problem is getting them organized. Who knows, maybe your right and nothing will happen. But I'll participate in any event that looks fun and try to volunteer when I have time.
'they' were the ones in charge, board of directors or whatever. i talked to several of 'them' before i had joined MBAA and during. there was talk of recreational rides but other than one over a 3 year period, nada. like i said, empty promises and they no longer interest me since 'their' word means squat. maybe it is different nowadays, like i wrote, i will believe it when i see it. in the meantime i save my money for other bike related stuff. i volunteer with the county parks, trail maintenance. i think the MBAA is fine if you race, otherwise pretty useless, imo.

Rita

1 - 7 of 7 Posts