Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MBA tested the TNT Flux in their latest issue. I skimmed through the article at the bike store and they could not find any negative traits, including under braking.

I realize the amount of credibility most have for their reviews, Although I thought it was worth mentioning in order to compare to other reviews. I did not buy the magazine, so I can't scan the article.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
is the test bolstered by a 12 page glossy turner ad? no? then it wont be a fair test. hehe. actually theyve always raved about turners bikes, even with a lame fork bolted to them. whats cool none the less is theve sold a ton of bikes for dt over the years so its not all bad. good ol mountain bike fiction. ya gotta love em!

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
HEY! not to defend mba... but i started lusting after a 5 spot after reading thier review a few years back. eventually i got one (and yes, it does "corner as if on rails"). i really think that that single article sold a lot of 5 spots.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
ok, ya dragged it outta me. one of the things that got me lookin at turners in the first place was the mba article on the original year burner. i still own that copy. some day ill dig it up, scan it and post it. that test wasnt what sold me but it deffinately got my attention! it also helped me learn alot about the industry as i started to grow into it. its had alot of very positive influence on my early days. happy now? hehe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
One of the things that put Turner in my mind was Rich C putting up in his little blog something about the XCE still feeling better than most of the newer tech bikes out there. That editorial is on the Turner homepage.
it was one of the articles that nudged me into the direction of buying a flux also..

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
As with everything... there's crap and there's good stuff on MBA. Personally I read it because I have nothing better around. No Dirt Rag for me, thanks. I'm a tech-geek (read: gear-'ho) and Dirt Rag just doesn't cut it for me.

Occasionally I see some MBUK on the stores... but at close to 9 bucks, it's way too much.

Seriously, would I have something better around, I'd get it. But so far MBF or MBA whichever denomination you prefer, is the mag I read.

There are good, honest bits. They rave about Marins... and you can't find a Marin ad on their mag. They raved about the Ironhorse's... no ads either. They got into a big fight with RS for a review they did on the noodle SID. They keep on saying cable routing on Specializeds is garbage and so on. They mentioned there had been Demo 8 bikes broken... despite the countless pages of Specialized ads on the mag.

If you want to look negatives, there are. The test on the Titus Motolite was horrid. Worst job they've made in a long time. They rave on almost any 1500+ frameset... like there would not be nice frames under that mark. And so on.

I'm not like a big fan of them but I prefer their mag to others.

I'll check that TNT review when the mags hit the store here.

·
Horst Linked
90 Posts
tscheezy said:
Their 2002 test of the XCE was one more prod for me in the direction of my first Turner. It is a great mag for the otherwise uninformed.
I was saving up for my XCE when that issue came out. I must have read that review 100 times. They used a bunch of the same text for the review of the 5 Spot, saving time I guess

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
I hate how MBA doesn't really compare suspension bikes to "other" bikes. They don't tell you which one is better really. I'd like to know on some sort of scale (relative to what the best suspension bike they've ever tested, or at least to go into a lot more depth) how the bike works, rather than "it's good at descending, 4 out of 5 stars".

They'll tell you things about how it works and feels, but it's always vague and almost never compared to something else that you can quantify.

Examples of things I'd like to know before I buy(bought) my bike;

-5th element coil shocks are harsh. If this bike was tested (it was) it should have brought up the point that the suspension was not as compliant as many other bikes that did not use 5th elements.
-Curnut shocks are harsh.
-The rear suspension stiffens when you try to pedal up really nasty steep climbs, this makes it many times harder to climb than on a fully active bike.
-The suspension on this bike doesn't suspend as well as "insert bike here"
-The bike feels stiff now, but 6 months down the road is unknown territory
-The bike feels like crap on small low-amplitude bumps.
-The bike blows through travel on bigger bumps

And on and on. MBA doesn't seem very agrressive in comparing bikes and really telling the differences between them. If MBA says "the bike was well balanced and handled big and small bumps at speed very nice" it doesn't tell me crap about how that bike compares to another bike that I may think works well in the same instance. Is this one better? Is this one worse? There needs to be a more relative way to do this.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
You know what you need Jayem?

A good ole fashioned MBA shootout!!!

Yee haww, pow pow, bang pop suck, crack pow bang bang, total idiot pow pow

After standing right next to richard cunnilingus watching the exact same things happen in the exact same place and seeing what that moron writes in his fancy TP gift pack, I know that his opinions on anything are worthless.

They're less than worthless.........worthless earns an adjective. What RC writes is

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Flame Suit On

Just gettin her zipped up here....OK I'm ready.

I enjoy MBA. Nope, it isn't even close to perfect, but it's enjoyable evening couch fodder, and really great dream material.

LIke Ts, the article on the '02 XCE was my first inkling that a Turner might end up in my garage. I copied that article, and read it a bunch for a couple of years. When my fifth -- yes fifth -- GT i-Drive cracked in less than two years, they offered $500 under the table to buy me off the brand, and I told my LBS to get signed up as a Turner dealer. The order went in that day.

I'll try and forget not getting the bike for over 8 weeks, but even that was worth it.

As far as RC goes, he is a bit full of himself, but he isn't stupid. For the time, his old company Mantis built by far the best dual suspension bike of its time. I'm pretty sure it was called the Full Floater, or something similar, and I think the wait time on an order might have been even longer than it was for a Turner a few years ago. :D

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Well if he's friends with RC, he's a moron.

Kick him in the nuts for me if you see him tomorrow.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
kidwoo said:
After standing right next to richard cunnilingus watching the exact same things happen in the exact same place and seeing what that moron writes in his fancy TP gift pack, I know that his opinions on anything are worthless.

They're less than worthless.........worthless earns an adjective. What RC writes is
I had one of RC's buddies in the shop today too, from "back in the day". Pre-mantis days. Crazy stuff. Right now I can't remember anything about him (cause I was in my "zone" and doing repairs), but maybe it will come back and I'll remember the conversation.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
kosmo said:
As far as RC goes, he is a bit full of himself, but he isn't stupid.
This is a guy who can't allow ads by a company called evil or voodoo in his magazine.

BOOGA BOOGA!

This is a guy who as an editor of a magazine can't be bothered to follow up on stories to fact check with the people he rode with that day before he horribly mangles, names, backgrounds, locations, local histories etc......

He reccomended a 888 to a guy asking for a good dirtjump fork.

He gets on these very obvious product line kicks where 3 or 4 brand/models are all that come out of his typewriter for months...only to be trashed later......only lee bridgers comes close in that respect.........

He touts marketing bs worse than the companies that make up the crap. FSR totally neutral vertical axle path blah blah blah.......

I agree though. "stupid" is too generous.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.