Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Read that, too. I have to agree with MBA that the StraightUp geo didn't have the same effect on the Alti 29er as it did the 26er. I own an Alti 26er and have demo'ed the 29er and glad I went 26er with this particular rig...

·
Read Only
950 Posts
I have ridden 29ers for about six years. After reading that article I am reminded why I have not read a copy of MBA in about seven years.

The only Rocky I have ridden is a 2008 Slayer SXC so I cannot comment on the Altitude but I have ridden lots and lots of 26 and 29 bikes and find the way MBA writes about the differences to be a joke. Until gearing is matched to bigger wheels as standard operating procedure the 29er will always feel like it doesn't climb as well because you are pushing a bigger gear. Period. And the comment about bigger wheels "muffling" the trail is laughable. But I should expect nothing less from the magazine that said 29ers were a "fad".

Looks like a great bike and I love Rocky's! 26, 29, whatever blows your dress up. Bikes are good, bikes are fun, grab what you like and lets hit the trail!

·
bike dork
371 Posts
That was a pretty lame-o review of a fairly awesome bike (yeah, I know, I sell them ;)). My business partner has beat on his 2010 model by riding it far above it's pay grade with no luck, and it's not for a lack of trying. I'm pretty sure the "big" tires he's running don't slow him down up hill either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have any experience in comparing the Altitude 29 SE with the Kona Hei Hei 29er? I've pretty much narrowed down to those two bikes. Both have similar builds, and TTH's, although the Kona states a higher standover height.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
I don't think you'll find anybody arguing against you on this one :p

I remember as a high school kid I'd go to the newsstand every month and buy MBA for something ridiculous like the equivalent of $10,- (gotta love import duties on EVERYTHING over here...). What was I thinking?

·
Registered
394 Posts
In last month's issue they reviewed the Element and stated that Rocky licensed FSR, which is totally not true! They were harsh on the Element; and it was not even close to my experience. I thought it was one of the best trail bikes I have ridden. I own the Altitude 29er, and owned a SC Tallboy that I sold for the Altitude. But hey, I don't get paid by anyone for my opinion, so what do I know?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Yeah they don't seem to grasp OTHER patents exist... well unless its from their bum buddy T.E.....

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MBA kinda sorta published an "Errata" but they don't just come right out and say that they were wrong and it wasn't a Horst Link, instead they mumble around and still make it sound like Rocky just found a clever way to cheat the Spesh patent. :rolleyes:

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.