Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone seen the latest MBAction issue already?They explained why 29ers start to conquer the US market. Can that specific segment be downloaded from the internet? sort of online viewing? Im just curious to know why.. =)

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
MBA also called them a fad that was going away. It is hard to take that magazine seriously. Also, just go back a few years observe the overwhelming presence of Specialized bikes on the cover and tests. Their obvious love for anything Specialized makes it hard to take them as an unbiased magazine.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
MBA is more about Giant, Santa Cruz and Niner these days. Plus, think about it, if you send them a bike to test, and they test it, and they write about it, then all is good. But, if you, a bike company, do not send them a bike to test, how are they going to write about it??? Specialized sent them bikes, other did not.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
That rag is still published?
Yup. I have 4 or 5 magazines subscriptions (not MBA). Rocky Mountain Cyclist is my favorite.

MBA cannot find a Specialized bike that is not amazing. I even saw a test where they blew through 2 shocks and they still said it was the best ever. Weird, MBA started to turn around on 29'ers when Specialized finally started producing them (months after saying they never would).

As far as I can tell Specialized makes great bikes BTW, but the MBA love gets a little sickening at times. Same with Salsa and a certain 29er reporter out there.

To bring it back full circle, I would take whatever MBA says with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
MBA also called them a fad that was going away. It is hard to take that magazine seriously. Also, just go back a few years observe the overwhelming presence of Specialized bikes on the cover and tests. Their obvious love for anything Specialized makes it hard to take them as an unbiased magazine.
As a subscriber since 1990 (on and off since then) I would somewhat agree, but MBA seems to test a lot of hot brands people are looking for. Some of the reviews might be questionable but it's one of the best mags to read to keep up on new products coming out.

Last month had an article featuring Gary Fisher and Chris Sugai from Niner Bikes. MBA said back in 2005-2006 when they talked with Chris Sugai, he told them in 5 years the majority of high end mtb sales were going to be 29ers and it sounded like they pretty much blew him off and just nodded their heads thinking he was nuts. Not many people were buying 29ers back then, they were super niche bikes. Pretty bold statement way back then, but so true today when you walk into a bike shop.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used to subscribe to a few Mags, even Dirt-Rag, but nomatter who the audience is or what their "message" is, keeps my from being a regular subscriber. I'm not a follower. I just love bikes. So I'll continue to go to the local grocery/book store and peruse the content before (if) I buy.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yup the exact qoute was "stick a fork in them they are done" regarding 29ers.

But in this latest article they say how they have been preaching the beifits of 29ers for year.

tools

The mag is getting really hard to read. The tested a single air rock shox fork speci model and twice said they put more air in the neg air chamber to get it to ride better.

The fuji outlander 29er f/s bike they said was a single pivot bike when it is a fsr bike......constant wrong info on alot of bikes.

then they had the freakin fashion issue....for real,what to wear on the trail.

I wont be renewing my subscription

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.