Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm moving parts from a 2016 429 Trail to a new frame with longer reach and shorter stays, either a MB or Django, run "high" with a Float 130. Broad consensus is MB descends better while Django climbs/pedals better. Since demos look unlikely, I'm trying to figure where these bikes fall on the XC/DH spectrum. So I've been reading...

Is the MB more of a "mini downhill bike" or a versatile trail bike? Some say this bike needs to be pushed hard to make it come alive, feeling a bit out of it's element otherwise, and perhaps not a good choice for less skilled riders. I'm 170#, not an aggressive descender, and like a bike that feels at home most anywhere. Aside from a rigid SS, this will be my only mountain bike.

Secondly, I don't mind giving up a bit of pedaling efficiency (the 429T climbs great) but am still looking for a bike that climbs well, responds quickly, and feels eager (or at least efficient). Is the MB just an adequate climber designed for riders who live for the descents? I've read the MB climbs great out of the saddle - true? Would opting for the Float DPS help?

Any and all input welcome! Thanks.

·
Learning to jump
120 Posts
Hi, I moved from a worn out Epic to the Following V1 back in 2015. I was by no-means a good technical rider, but the Following immediately unlocked one or two levels of downhill ability. It’s been an absolute joy to ride and I’ve been trying to improve my skills as well. Last fall, i did the Enduro2 race in Davos. A lot of people were surprised that my bike only had 120mm of travel, but I could enjoy the runs and was by no means the slowest. I met a guy there from the UK on an MB who was absolutely ripping.

My point is that this bike has incredible range. I don’t know anything about the Django, but I don’t think you will regret the MB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own an MB and I would say that it definitely does not need to be pushed hard to come alive. I also find it pretty efficient in climbs. But you are asking questions that are hard to answer on paper. You'll either get the Evil 29er thing or you won't. There are no wrong or right answers, they are both terrific bikes. I'm not a particularly skilled or aggressive rider but the moment I rode a Demo MB I was sold. My previous bike was a first generation Transition Scout and the MB was more stable downhill, carried much more speed over chunk had more efficient energy transfer and just as much fun as the Scout but in a different way. The only thing I'd change on the MB would be the seat angle, but since I'm just big enough for a medium it's still good. I find it a great one bike quiver for the trails I ride. As to the Devinci? I have no idea :)

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this bike has incredible range.
There are no wrong or right answers
Thanks guys. I think The Following has been so widely ridden and reviewed that it's bound to have a few reviews that give me pause, but the common denominators are: fun, playful, capable, forgiving, and climbs well. It's a 120mm bike with short stays and a moderate reach, so it's hard to see how it could be some numb downhill bruiser. It's nicely discounted right now, so...I've decided on the MB. Worst case scenario: I run it with my fork @120 and in the "low" (not x-low) position. Thanks again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The mb has its quarks; a little heavy, front end wanders a bit on climbs. But the only other bike that I have ridden that I have enjoyed more was a Pivot firebird 29, but that doesn’t make sense for where I live. Recent demos: New SC 5010, Hightower LT, Ibis HD4, Specialized SJ29, Pivot Trail 429, Switchblade.

The new Ibis Ripley & Giant Trance 29 are intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of great choices. Was waiting on the new ibis but it's longer/slacker than I wanted and ibis recommends a 44mm fork offset. I have a very short torso so trying to avoid a really long front-center. The MB's reach and front center are already 25-30mm longer than my Pivot.

front end wanders a bit on climbs
I was a bit worried about my eSTA at saddle height so I did some math. Assuming a 65* seat post angle (my safe guess) and a 40mm saddle height, a L MB (low, 130 fork) should yield ~73.0* eSTA w/a saddle-to-BB distance of 790mm (31"), or ~74.5* with saddle slid forward 20mm. Should be fine.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Lots of great choices. Was waiting on the new ibis but it's longer/slacker than I wanted and ibis recommends a 44mm fork offset. I have a very short torso so trying to avoid a really long front-center. The MB's reach and front center are already 25-30mm longer than my Pivot.

I was a bit worried about my eSTA at saddle height so I did some math. Assuming a 65* seat post angle (my safe guess) and a 40mm saddle height, a L MB (low, 130 fork) should yield ~73.0* eSTA w/a saddle-to-BB distance of 790mm (31"), or ~74.5* with saddle slid forward 20mm. Should be fine.
I would try and demo some of the new bikes. The longer, slacker, steeper seat tube geo is the real deal. Numbers don't paint the full picture.

My Yeti Sb150 climbs better than my following MB did. Not really close on the downs ofc. If i were you i would go Offering over following as i bet the Offering climbs better. People need to move on from the old geo coz it was honestly crap compared to what we have today (not saying the Following MB has old geo). The pivot 429 trail XL would be like a Medium bike today. It takes a little time to adjust your riding position but once you do you will never go back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.